All Things Gophers in the NFL

Love it! One of my favorite Gophers. Hope he makes it, quite a story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rams vs Titans is on Fox tonight, it'll be a good chance to check out David Cobb.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cobb was just named the player to watch for the Titans. Great to see him getting some early love!

Cobb was just named the player to watch for the Titans. Great to see him getting some early love!

Thought I saw he'll get a chance with the 1's tonight. He got drafted into a great situation, Bishop Sankey has been a bust and carries are up for grabs.

Cobb looks pretty darn good out there. Got held up close to the goal line a couple times but overall good patience and falling forward .. things we saw a lot of last year.

Marcus Sherels looked great in the Vikings game last Saturday. He made a few great plays. Probably his best was on special teams when he ran down the field and downed a punt on the 2 yard line. Also during the radio broadcast the Vikings GM praised his play so far this preseason.

per Sid:

• A number of Gophers football players who were drafted this year are having strong NFL preseasons. Tight end Maxx Williams is tied for the Ravens’ lead with five receptions and has 61 receiving yards. … Running back David Cobb is leading the Titans in rushing with 79 yards on 19 carries and continues to be a favorite to win the starting job in Tennessee . … Safety Cedric Thompson is tied for the Dolphins’ lead with nine tackles. … And linebacker Damien Wilson, whom the Vikings will face on Saturday in Dallas, has six tackles in two games.

http://www.startribune.com/fruechte-soaks-up-vikings-knowledge/323035251/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• A number of Gophers football players who were drafted this year are having strong NFL preseasons. Tight end Maxx Williams is tied for the Ravens’ lead with five receptions and has 61 receiving yards. … Running back David Cobb is leading the Titans in rushing with 79 yards on 19 carries and continues to be a favorite to win the starting job in Tennessee . … Safety Cedric Thompson is tied for the Dolphins’ lead with nine tackles. … And linebacker Damien Wilson, whom the Vikings will face on Saturday in Dallas, has six tackles in two games.

http://www.startribune.com/fruechte-soaks-up-vikings-knowledge/323035251/

Go Gophers!!

Damien Wilson running with the first team tonight.

Tonight?

Assuming you're responding to my post, then yes. This is generally regarded as the game most reflective of the opening starters, with the last week of silly-season relegated to finding who will make the team of the leftovers. So I'm assuming that Wilson will be the starter at LB for the Cowboys.

Just that the game is in 2 days- I started scanning the tv for the game when I saw ur post!

Assuming you're responding to my post, then yes. This is generally regarded as the game most reflective of the opening starters.

I do believe he's referring to the fact that the game you're commenting on is a replay from last weekend.

Edit; maybe I'm wrong, and you're talking about the UPCOMING game this weekend. My bad. Thought maybe you were talking about the Cowboys game being replayed on NFL Network earlier tonight

Carry on!

Croom on Cobb: “I like his natural running ability, his natural running instincts. But he has a long way to go. He has to learn how to be a pro as far as work ethic, taking care of his body, getting in here early and doing the little things it takes to be a pro. He still hasn’t quite learned what being professional means, so he has to learn that. There’s no scholarships here, and his work ethic has to be better. He has to learn to practice like you play in a game. Once he does that, he has a chance to be a good football player.”

http://www.titansonline.com/news/ar...is-Backs/96ba7e54-2834-4c1f-8af7-c507aa4b8fc0

Croom on Cobb: “I like his natural running ability, his natural running instincts. But he has a long way to go. He has to learn how to be a pro as far as work ethic, taking care of his body, getting in here early and doing the little things it takes to be a pro. He still hasn’t quite learned what being professional means, so he has to learn that. There’s no scholarships here, and his work ethic has to be better. He has to learn to practice like you play in a game. Once he does that, he has a chance to be a good football player.”

http://www.titansonline.com/news/ar...is-Backs/96ba7e54-2834-4c1f-8af7-c507aa4b8fc0

Those are some pretty direct comments. Pretty clear there have been some attitude issues with Cobb in camp.

Those are some pretty direct comments. Pretty clear there have been some attitude issues with Cobb in camp.
I wouldn't say it's attitude,just as it took him awhile to accept and do what the coaches wanted here, he's hasn't quite stepped it up enough for the pros.

per Sid:

Challenge for Sherels

Marcus Sherels, who signed with the Vikings as a rookie free agent in 2010 after playing with the Gophers, was not expected to make the team. But he has been the Vikings’ punt returner and occasional cornerback and kick returner for the past four years.

Still, every preseason there appears to be a challenger who is trying to take his roster spot, and this year it’s rookie Stefon Diggs.

But every year, Sherels seems to add new dimensions to his game and manages to make the squad.

In the preseason this year, Sherels has fielded three punts with an average return of 14.3 yards, and he’s returned two kickoffs for 81 yards, the most on the team. Diggs has six punt returns for a 25.0 yard average, including a 62-yard return.

Special teams coach Mike Priefer said it isn’t only Sherels’ returns that impress the coaches, but also his work as a “gunner” and being the first tackler down the field on kickoff and punt teams. Priefer looks for Sherels to continue what he has been doing during his career.

“I think the longer he’s done it, the more experience he has,” Priefer said. “We always tell our gunners to have a plan, don’t just go out there and wing it because that doesn’t work in the NFL. Marcus has a plan and he does a great job with his speed releases, and he does a great job with what we call our counter releases.

“When you have a plan, you study tape, you know what type of opponent you’re going against and you execute that plan like [Sherels] does, it really helps him be successful. He’s gotten better every year that I’ve been here.”

Does Priefer believe Sherels’ work as a returner has helped him to understand how to defend on special teams?

“Maybe at the point of attack, based on what the gunner might be thinking at the point of attack, but I don’t think he’s thinking about that when he’s returning the football,” Priefer said. “He’s improved on kickoff, kickoff return, punt and punt return since I’ve been here.”

http://www.startribune.com/several-twins-stood-out-during-six-game-winning-streak/323174051/

Go Gophers!!

botticelli cut

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFL?src=hash">#NFL</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chargers?src=hash">#Chargers</a>
CB Manny Asprilla
DL Cameron Botticelli
WR Titus Davis
RB Jahwan Edwards
LB Curtis Grant
LB Brock Hekking

all waived by SD.</p>— OwnersBox NFL (@OwnersBoxNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/OwnersBoxNFL/status/638181354270650369">August 31, 2015</a></blockquote>

Just made the practice squad. Cedric also got cut but they want him on the practice squad.

Sherels makes the 53 man roster. I was a little worried because of Diggs.

Wonder if a team will try to get Thompson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom