All things TCU

I honestly am not entirely sure what to expect from a matchup POV, but do think the game will come down to ball security.

We put up 30 points on P5 opponents twice last year (vs Purdue and vs Iowa) and turned the ball over once in those two games.

Games where we turned the ball over more than once? @ TCU, vs SJSU, @ Illinois, vs Ohio State, vs Missouri (1-4). Averaged 18 ppg.

We need to put 30+ on the board to have a chance, and the most reasonable chance we have to do that is to not turn the ball over once.

Just wrong

Really? He is a great ambassador to the U and was a good player for the Gophs. Don't hate because he gave a reasonable analysis.

He's not just a fan or somebody paid to get clicks...he's a teammate of a lot of these guys. That's just a bad attitude. That says you don't believe in your coaches! That says you don't believe in your teammates! It's a negative attitude! Not comfortable at all with that answer from a guy on the team just last year.

To me that is revealing of character. Would you hire him for your company if that's how he feels about his co-workers? That is not any ambassador I want representing my team.

He was a part of the team just last year. Not an alumni from the 50's or 90's or 2000's. Not somebody who never played sports. He was on the team and played TCU last year. He's not some guy detached from the game who grew up in Texas. That's disgusting to me. I don't hate him, I just don't respect him.

Sorry, Spoofin. I know some might have a ridiculous reaction to his educated analysis. Such as the nutjob posting above this

No, not really. I am a big Tommy O fan.

oh, ok. you had me there. RE: the TCU game. Gophs had me on their side last year and then I saw the 10 min TCU terror. Nope. it was bad last year and I am convinced the 10 minute TCU Terror will again appear.

Sorry, Spoofin. I know some might have a ridiculous reaction to his educated analysis. Such as the nutjob posting above this
I agree with most of what he said actually. Tommy Olsen is not just a "fan." A handful of months ago these were his teammates. I find his take on the TCU game to be very odd to say the least. I certainly didn't lose respect for him like 60's guy stated but for such a recent player to have that attitude I find odd.

oh, ok. you had me there. RE: the TCU game. Gophs had me on their side last year and then I saw the 10 min TCU terror. Nope. it was bad last year and I am convinced the 10 minute TCU Terror will again appear.

No, my bad. Forgot the /s tag [emoji3]

I believe that people are underestimating the difficulty TCU will have replacing 5 defensive starters. In the secondary they replace three with one being a true freshman, at linebacker 3 of 4 from last years rotation are gone, with the fourth seldom used, the replacements will all be freshmen with two being true freshmen. After re watching the game from last year, you can't overstate how active and devastating those departed linebackers were, particularly Dawson. Even last year there were a lot of plays to be made in the passing game if Leidner had the time. The way I see it the key to beating TCU is falls to the lines, if the OL protects Leidner and can create some inside running lanes while the DL puts some pressure on Boykin and close off TCU's running lanes we'll have a very good chance to win.

I believe that people are underestimating the difficulty TCU will have replacing 5 defensive starters. In the secondary they replace three with one being a true freshman, at linebacker 3 of 4 from last years rotation are gone, with the fourth seldom used, the replacements will all be freshmen with two being true freshmen. After re watching the game from last year, you can't overstate how active and devastating those departed linebackers were, particularly Dawson. Even last year there were a lot of plays to be made in the passing game if Leidner had the time. The way I see it the key to beating TCU is falls to the lines, if the OL protects Leidner and can create some inside running lanes while the DL puts some pressure on Boykin and close off TCU's running lanes we'll have a very good chance to win.

Stop this talk you are getting me too fired up! Can these 14 days go any slowwwwwer??

All this may be true, but the TCU offense scare me more.

This is dangerous opportunity for the Gophers.

Can you imagine all the positives if they are able to upstage TCU?

41-13? TCU is good, but this is also a team that beat Kansas by 1 last year and they struggled to WVU on the road as well. Those were their only two games outside of Texas last year. It's game 1 on the road. The last time we lost that bad at home was to Michigan in 2012 (35-13). I could see 35 to 21 or 31 to 17. They couldn't score more than 30 on us at home last year and we turned over the ball 5 times. Their defense has to replace 6 starters (1 DT, 2 LBs and 3 DBs) plus their legendary DC Dick Bumpas retired in the off season. I can't see them being nearly as good on defense in game 1 on the road. I could see 41-13 if the game were in Ft Worth.

Can we order up today's weather, low 60's and a drizzle, the systemic shock to those Texans might be good for a couple of scores.

Hey all. I tried asking this in another thread but didn't get much response.

How early should I show up to get garage/lot event parking on East Bank?

Can we order up today's weather, low 60's and a drizzle, the systemic shock to those Texans might be good for a couple of scores.

Half the crowd wouldn't show up. Minnesotans are tough as far as the weather goes with most things, but for whatever reason we are big wimps when it comes to watching sports.

Hey all. I tried asking this in another thread but didn't get much response.

How early should I show up to get garage/lot event parking on East Bank?

I'd buy a parking pass ahead of time trough StubHub or VividSeats (Select parking only).

I bought my pass through StubHub and is guaranteed to be delivered on 9/01. I chose the Oak Street Ramp a block and a half from TCF Bank Stadium for $65.

With the Twins offering a double package deal that day with a later Saints game in St. Paul, Things will be a bit crowded on the train. They suggested the fans take the train to St. Paul. Then, there are the State Fair crowd taking the train from downtown Minneapolis. I'd rather have dinner elsewhere with my foursome, and then take a casual drive to Oak Street than spending all that time waiting for a train. Then, we will park our carcasses at one of the local campus bars or take in the festivities before the game.

That will be my suggestion.

A lot less stressful and the parking pass is money well spent. I'd hurry because parking passes are starting to get scarce.

If we win the turnover game, Leidner has a good game (does't need to be a great game, just good) and one or two of our freshman receivers standout. We win this game, that is my prediction.

bronco.jpg

First, Tommy Olson bleeds maroon and gold. Terrific player and person. Make lots of boy babies Tommy.

Secondly, of course the Gophers have a chance in this game. The benchmark is 30 points. If the Gophers score more than 30 it's a win. If not, long night for the fans. I choose the former.

Good points. Our zone read, etc was DOA. Their defense this season is of unknown quality and may be ripe for limegrover's preferred style. That said, I'd like to see us get some speed on the field and try some simple swings, screens, etc. get Berkeley, Jeff Jones, Maye, Rodney Smith involved.

On the other side of things, although their offense returns in its near-entirety that gives us some film and the opportunity to look at tendencies. Our zone blitz was fairly effective last year. We will need to put some heat on Boykin from time to time. He's such an accurate passer he can pick us apart. Can't allow that to happen, can't let him get comfortable. Our back seven are going to need to be fast, fast, fast and the coaches need to have them prepared to allow that to happen. Turnovers and luck will be needed against this offense.

The X factor is Leidner. I'm a big fan but let's face it, he was terrible vs TCU last year. Forcing passes into double coverage, etc. Limegrover has to find a way to get him in rhythm early.

It's going to be a great game. I can convince myself they have a real shot here if the offense goes. The defense can play with these guys.

View attachment 3726

First, Tommy Olson bleeds maroon and gold. Terrific player and person. Make lots of boy babies Tommy.

Secondly, of course the Gophers have a chance in this game. The benchmark is 30 points. If the Gophers score more than 30 it's a win. If not, long night for the fans. I choose the former.

Agree. In looking at their regular season road games last year, I noticed the 2 longest trips were to (Lawrence, KS and Morgantown, WV). Both teams were able to put 30 on the board and kept the game close. KU was +2 on Turnover margin and had a pick for a TD called back on illegal substitution. Weather was cold that day so maybe that came into play. WVU was -3 on Turnover margin, ran for 195 and passed for 162.

Points of emphasis:
1. We had 2 explosive plays vs TCU last year - both involved Maye receptions - that number needs to be increased (if possible),
2. Need to win Special Teams and score / set up a score with it,
3. 3rd Down Efficiency (move sticks.....often under appreciated when not resulting in points on board but flipping field is crucial to Coach), and
4. Win turnover battle.

Would really like to see us lead in this game and have energetic crowd to go with it. 2011 we were on the road as 3 TD dogs @ USC and lost by 2.
Anything is possible in the world of CFB. Looking forward to being there and see 2 well coached teams play a physical football game!

SKI-U-MAH

Agree. In looking at their regular season road games last year, I noticed the 2 longest trips were to (Lawrence, KS and Morgantown, WV). Both teams were able to put 30 on the board and kept the game close. KU was +2 on Turnover margin and had a pick for a TD called back on illegal substitution. Weather was cold that day so maybe that came into play. WVU was -3 on Turnover margin, ran for 195 and passed for 162. Points of emphasis: 1. We had 2 explosive plays vs TCU last year - both involved Maye receptions - that number needs to be increased (if possible), 2. Need to win Special Teams and score / set up a score with it, 3. 3rd Down Efficiency (move sticks.....often under appreciated when not resulting in points on board but flipping field is crucial to Coach), and 4. Win turnover battle. Would really like to see us lead in this game and have energetic crowd to go with it. 2011 we were on the road as 3 TD dogs @ USC and lost by 2. Anything is possible in the world of CFB. Looking forward to being there and see 2 well coached teams play a physical football game! SKI-U-MAH
Amen Buck!
Was at both the USC and TCU games and agree anything can happen in CFB which is why this game is so exciting. The deck may be stacked against us in the media, but besides Boykin, I don't see any TCU player who can outmatch us at any given position. Their D is a big ? and they have shown weakness with KU and Baylor. It's gonna be an awesome game and I can't wait to see it. Keep the crowd into it, keep it close going into the 4th and I'll meet you at the 50 to do "the Gopher" after the game!

It's hard to overstate how disastrous the first two/three series were last year. Hardly a play went by where a block was missed, a pass was dropped, or a throw was errant. The first punt was returned to our red zone. That set the tone of the game, and Mitch got his yips trying to get us back into it. Props to TCU, they beat us in all phases last year. But its a new year and we're at home. It should be a much better game.

I think one of the biggest advantages we have going into this game is how poorly we played last year. It may have been our worst game. We simply under estimated them. That's not going to happen this year and I suspect they will have a problem taking us seriously. The Dallas Morning paper's prediction doesn't hurt in that regard. We also will have the advantage of playing at home. I thought we played much better late last season including a our very competitive game versus Ohio State.

The game will turn on our lines. The OL needs to open holes and pass protect. The DL has to collapse the pocket and bring pressure off the edge. When that happens the rest of the pieces fall together for a huge Gopher win.

Top Bottom