All things TCU

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Grantland with a piece on Trevone Boykin and his transition from WR/athlete to QB:

But the what and when of Boykin’s about-face don’t quite get us past the most pressing question: How? Unlike the vast majority of young quarterbacks who burst onto the national radar without notice, Boykin wasn’t an unknown commodity or a touted up-and-comer who had fans giddy over his potential; he was a fourth-year player with an established track record of mediocrity that corresponded with the middling projections from his recruitment. His skill set seemed especially ill-suited to TCU’s post-2013 offensive overhaul. He might easily have been lost in the transition, and in some corners, he was expected to be. Under those circumstances, how on earth did a fringe starter become a star?

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2...frogs-trevone-boykin-qb-star-heisman-playoff/

I have this wierd feeling that come September 4th, talk of him as a Heisman candidate will cease; and I'm normally a pessimist. I think if we can pressure him enough up front, our secondary can expose him.

Am I being too optimistic here?

I have this wierd feeling that come September 4th, talk of him as a Heisman candidate will cease; and I'm normally a pessimist. I think if we can pressure him enough up front, our secondary can expose him.

Am I being too optimistic here?

Nothing wrong with looking at the world through Maroon colored glasses.

Its the first game of the year so anything can happen I suppose.

Our great secondary could make him look completely over hyped but he could also make our great secondary look completely over hyped.

Its the first game of the year so anything can happen I suppose.

Our great secondary could make him look completely over hyped but he could also make our great secondary look completely over hyped.

All this is possible. One difference is Boykin has gotten significantly more national attention and has more expectations than our secondary. The pressure on Boykin to perform could be weighing heavily on his mind September 3rd.
WE expect our secondary to play well, the NATION expects Boykin to play well.

This could be an opportunity to rattle a guys confidence early, jump ahead quick and play slow ball the rest of the game. At least that's the way I have it planned out in my head. Christ, football needs to get here soon.

Keeping Boykin in the pocket is key. I don't think he can carve up our secondary all night from the pocket, but he can make things miserable for our D if we allow him to scramble outside the pocket and make plays and run for a lot of yards.

Tommy Olson on KFAN this AM was not optimistic on MN beating TCU. I was surprised at his candor. thought for sure hed be all 'heck ya we'll beat em' but instead he thinks a close game will be a positive for MN.

I have a feeling that TCU is the more over hyped team at this time. I just hope come November that people aren't saying the TCU win was not a good win for the Home team. :)

I really think the battle will be how our offense fares agains their defense. Last year we only scored once, in garbage time. If our offense can control the clock and score, it puts so much more pressure on TCU's air raid offense

Tommy Olson on KFAN this AM was not optimistic on MN beating TCU. I was surprised at his candor. thought for sure hed be all 'heck ya we'll beat em' but instead he thinks a close game will be a positive for MN.

Would Tommy have started with a 100% Christensen and Bobek? Not a shot, just wondering.

I have to agree with jaymil. Scrambling type qb's always seem to give the Gopher D fits. IF we can keep him contained and put some pressure on him, I can see it being a close, lowish scoring game where MN could definitely pull off the upset. If Boykin gets loose and runs circles around people, gets 100 yard rushing, and hits receivers who have broken free from coverage due to extended plays; I could also see it being a long day. I think this is the biggest key to the game. Let's hope the D-line is in late-season form.

I really think the battle will be how our offense fares agains their defense. Last year we only scored once, in garbage time. If our offense can control the clock and score, it puts so much more pressure on TCU's air raid offense

Never mind scoring -- just control the clock, get a first down or two, and force TCU to drive the field. Our defense didn't play particularly well in the first half of last year's game, but they received NO help whatsoever from the offense. Obviously, points would be ideal, but doing what we do best -- winning the battle for field position -- should be priority #1.

I have to agree with jaymil. Scrambling type qb's always seem to give the Gopher D fits. IF we can keep him contained and put some pressure on him, I can see it being a close, lowish scoring game where MN could definitely pull off the upset. If Boykin gets loose and runs circles around people, gets 100 yard rushing, and hits receivers who have broken free from coverage due to extended plays; I could also see it being a long day. I think this is the biggest key to the game. Let's hope the D-line is in late-season form.

Ace Rogers => Boykin spy?

Thoughts?

Does anyone know what the gameday schedule will be or where I can find it. Coming in from out of town with the kids and want to capture all the pregame stuff with the band etc...Please let me know

thanks

Never liked that guy

Does anyone know what the gameday schedule will be or where I can find it. Coming in from out of town with the kids and want to capture all the pregame stuff with the band etc...Please let me know

thanks

I don't think they've released the gameday guide yet for 2015, but if it's anything like the past, the victory walk will take place ~2.5 hours prior to kickoff (or, 5:30pm), band pregame outside the stadium will be ~1.25 hours prior to kickoff (6:45pm) and the band will take the field 20 minutes prior (7:40pm). Tailgating lots operated by the university open 6 hours prior to kick (2pm). Can start tailgating earlier than that at the River Flats if I'm not mistaken.

What!? Why surprised? Is called putting your bias aside and analyzing the game. You can still be a fan and not pick the Gophers to win sometimes.

I would love to see a score of 9-0 with a pick 6 and a safety. Gopherhole erupts in threads doubting our offensive performance and how we will never win another game totally overshadowing the fact that we just beat the number 2.

Alright someone has to ask this question so I'll be that guy...if we pull the upset what are we ranked week 2?

Alright someone has to ask this question so I'll be that guy...if we pull the upset what are we ranked week 2?

It's probably somewhat akin to what VT did to Ohio State last year (Ohio State was ranked #8, VT was ranked #38 in the AP Poll - VT won on the road, which gave them more brownie points, OSU was ranked lower than TCU). VT jumped to #17 the week following ... I'd expect we'd do something similar, if we pulled it off in a close game.

Reading the threads over at killerfrogs.com some interesting things come out.
1. It looks like Patterson is downplaying the talent on the team in order to keep the "chip on the shoulder" mentality. The fans basically saying he thinks the defense sucks right now.
2. It seems like their scrimmages have the reverse problem as ours with their O dominating the D causing questions of how good the D actually is similar to our threads of Leidner threw a pick, he sucks....or he threw a pick our D is awesome.
3. I thought I read somewhere over there that one of their top WR's will likely be out for the game.
http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard...28-2015-fall-practice-updatescomments/page-11
Also, they seem like good bunch of fans and I hope we show them a good time for any who are traveling up for the game.

I think TCU is the real deal and they win by 14-17. We don't match up well against them. Boykin will gives us fits, like he did last year. As others have said, we have a difficult time containing mobile QBs. If TCU has a weakness it's probably their DBs, who were exposed when they lost to Baylor and they lost several players to graduation. Unfortunately, a passing game is our weakness...

I think TCU is the real deal and they win by 14-17. We don't match up well against them. Boykin will gives us fits, like he did last year. As others have said, we have a difficult time containing mobile QBs. If TCU has a weakness it's probably their DBs, who were exposed when they lost to Baylor and they lost several players to graduation. Unfortunately, a passing game is our weakness...

I actually think we match up ok with them.
I like our secondary to be able to contain their receivers, especially after already seeing them last year.
Boykin of course is a nightmare for defenses, but with the depth in our secondary it's possible we can frustrate their passing game and force them to do things they'd rather not like run Boykin.
I don't see how last year applies much at all. Leidner was hurt pretty bad, Cobb was hobbled, Max was hobbled. Tommy O mentioned how fast the TCU defense felt to the Oline in that game, and how much better they were against OSU later because of it.

I think we pound them up the gut alot early and spring a handful of new plays, hopefully scoring on a few. Roderick goes for 100 and Mitch throws the ball away instead of throwing 3 INTs. We hang a few big plays on them and stay within 7 of them until late. If the ball bounces our way once or twice we win a close one.
If not, we stay within 10 max. Our defense is going to impress alot of people I think.

I think this will be an Ohio State type game from last year. They have big expectations and I think are a bit overrated. They have a fair amount of pressure on them being that they must go undefeated to get a playoff spot. We could beat them if a mistake free game comes out of our tunnel.

I disagree. I think we match up pretty decently. I'm going to also throw out there that our passing game will surprise.

What about the weather? If you could choose to have the weather on Sept. 3 be like yesterday, would you?

For those out of town, mid 60's, solid rain with periods of heavy rain.

Top Bottom