As of today, 4,700 tickets remain for TCU game

I predicted SRO!! 20.00 dollar SRO tickets with a concession voucher and " Standing Room Only" t-shirts.

It will be utterly embarrassing if TCF Bank is not packed to the gills for the TCU game. Should not happen given the opponent (#2 in the nation) and the increased expectations for the Gophers.

It will be utterly embarrassing if TCF Bank is not packed to the gills for the TCU game. Should not happen given the opponent (#2 in the nation) and the increased expectations for the Gophers.

I agree, but the timing isn't great. If it were week two I think it'd be a lot easier to pack the house.

This is where the online secondary market hurts teams with limited audiences like the Gophers. People go to StubHub because they want better seats. Nobody really wants the worst seats in the house and are ok with spending a bit more money to be in better seats.

I suspect they will still sell out. Once the week of the game comes, there will a lot of people excited to go on a Thursday night, especially if the weather is good.

I suspect you will see a smallish crowd for Kent. No walk-up for an 11 am kickoff and StubHub will be cheap.

This is a symptom of a bigger problem.
The administration has refused to try and expand the fan base. The only people that know about gopher football are gopher football fans. No effort has been made to reach out to younger fans, or to create a niche in this market.
Look at the way the saints used their new stadium rollout as an example of how this should have gone. Maturi screwed up in 09 with the no fun zone rules, Norwood was no better.
The U has not catered to a fun gameday atmosphere that would attract younger or more casual fans, and has not done anything to bring in new blood. Everything has been "make our money now".
The reason this game isn't sold out to the gills is because the bluehairs don't care about TCU, they equate it to any other NC game.
Same with the casual fans. The college football IQ in this town is awful.
Add in the lack of quality non conference opponents over the years, and nobody knows TCU could be the best team in the country. They might care, but probably not.

It's a problem that won't go away until the U realizes that they need to stop squeezing their loyal fanbase again and again and focus on growing that fanbase first.
There's no reason we shouldn't have a waiting list for season tickets, no reason there shouldn't be private and expanded gameday parking and tailgating from 280 to the west bank, and no reason the gameday atmosphere on campus needs to be so damn controlled and NFL lite.
Build a niche, bring in new fans, and watch the amazement as the U has more fans than they know what to do with.
Until then expect this for the first few games of the year.

The administration has refused to try and expand the fan base. The only people that know about gopher football are gopher football fans. No effort has been made to reach out to younger fans, or to create a niche in this market.
Look at the way the saints used their new stadium rollout as an example of how this should have gone. Maturi screwed up in 09 with the no fun zone rules, Norwood was no better.
The U has not catered to a fun gameday atmosphere that would attract younger or more casual fans, and has not done anything to bring in new blood. Everything has been "make our money now".
The reason this game isn't sold out to the gills is because the bluehairs don't care about TCU, they equate it to any other NC game.
Add in the lack of quality non conference opponents over the years, and nobody knows TCU could be the best team in the country. They might care, but probably not.

It's a problem that won't go away until the U realizes that they need to stop squeezing their loyal fanbase again and again and focus on growing that fanbase first.
There's no reason we shouldn't have a waiting list for season tickets, no reason there shouldn't be private and expanded gameday parking and tailgating from 280 to the west bank, and no reason the gameday atmosphere on campus needs to be so damn controlled and NFL lite.
Build a niche, bring in new fans, and watch the amazement as the U has more fans than they know what to do with.

Not #1 on the the agenda of the new AD but should be top 5 is the betterment of the gameday atmosphere surrounding Gopher football. That's why the new hire needs a background in working for a big time football program. Said hire should have experience in the direct operations of the university's pre and post game activities with regards to fan experience AND be familar with working with NON-UNIVERSITY (i.e. city officials, police, etc... ) entities to promote a festive atmosphere.

With US Bank Stadium ready for completion the City of Mpls will need to re-zone / rethink / modify their tailgating policies. Gone are the acres of surface lots in DT Mpls that one could tailgate upon. That won't stop crafty landowners from trying to make a buck and offer up their slice of the concrete jungle to sell for a new type of urban tailgating. The new AD has to have the foresight and "onions - seen or hidden" to stand in front of the Mpls City Council and advocate for less restrictive tailgating policies on private property around the U.

Problem is the casual fans we are trying to bring in, which is hard. Not to be Debbie Downer, but it is not like the game is supposed to be close. I believe we are still a 2 touchdown underdog at home. That really does not get the casual fan's interest and, even though it is TCU, it is still not the draw that an Alabama, USC or Notre Dame would be if that were the opponent.

Still thinking we'll be sold out ... if not, it'll be very very close. I just hope the people that have tickets show up on time and are loud from the start. No excuses with the 8pm kickoff and marquee opponent.

Ole "gets it" and proves it over and over again with thoughtful, on-target posts like this one.

I quit worrying about how many fans attend games at TCF the day the price-hikes were announced for the next three seasons. If the "U" doesn't care how many people attend games, I'm not going to lose sleep over it on behalf of them. I actually used to invest thought and emotion into the lack of fans at Gopher football games. In the back of my mind I always looked forward to the way the team's improvement and lessons learned around the stadium for gameday atmosphere would eventually combine to pack the stadium.

Now I just prepare to pay the higher prices as part of a shrinking season ticket base, know that my dream of a perpetually packed stadium is unlikely, and I am reinvesting my attention to the team and its on-field success.

we're still a couple weeks out and that Living Social site alone has been pumping out about 100 tickets a day.

This is where the online secondary market hurts teams with limited audiences like the Gophers. People go to StubHub because they want better seats. Nobody really wants the worst seats in the house and are ok with spending a bit more money to be in better seats.

There are still good seats available through the ticket office. Over 100 seats are unsold in sections 239 and 242, seatbacks between the 20's on the home side.

Problem is the casual fans we are trying to bring in, which is hard. Not to be Debbie Downer, but it is not like the game is supposed to be close. I believe we are still a 2 touchdown underdog at home. That really does not get the casual fan's interest and, even though it is TCU, it is still not the draw that an Alabama, USC or Notre Dame would be if that were the opponent.

The casual fan has no idea what a Vegas point spread even is, so I don't buy this excuse. The casual fan should know this is the number 2 team in the country and be excited about it on a beautiful September night in MN.

I am not worried in the least about filling this stadium. A huge addition this year has been the 4 guest passes that each Student Season Ticket holder can get for each game. Because it is the first game of the season, these 4 guest passes will not even be available for the TCU game until 1 week before the game, Thursday August 27th. I myself have 12 friends (for my 3 student season tickets) who I will be buying a guest pass for. I would imagine that I am not the only student who has a few friends lined up for guest passes for this game. That and the fact that someone brought up the livingsocial.com deal ($30 upper level ticket) selling at 100 tickets per day and we will be just fine.

MN sports fans are very insecure. Don't worry, Jerry and the boys will have at least 53,000 fans fired up enough to get their but into that stadium on September 3rd. R-E-L-A-exxxxxxxx.

Still thinking we'll be sold out ... if not, it'll be very very close. I just hope the people that have tickets show up on time and are loud from the start. No excuses with the 8pm kickoff and marquee opponent.

Honestly to me this is the real key. If we have a few thousand unsold tickets it will be disappointing but not the end of the world. However if at kickoff there are large pockets of empty seats that will be truly disappointing.

I don't think it ever gets released but I have always thought it would be interesting to see what the actual attendance vs. the paid attendance is at a lot of sporting events. You see all the time where they flash the "paid" attendance number up on the board and with one quick look around you can see that the number of butts in the seats isn't anywhere close to that number. This applies to all events not just Gopher football games.

Sometimes I just look on Stubhub to see what's going on with the market and found something interesting. I bought seats though the University for section 150A. On Stubhub in Section 150A Row 5 seats 1-18 are available. Is someone really buying up an entire row to sell on secondary market? If those don't sell it's gonna look really goofy when they kick extra points to have a whole row empty. If the seller gets what they want for each seat that is a $600 profit so I guess it makes sense, but I would hate to see that big of a group of empty seats. Better view for me I guess.

The casual fan has no idea what a Vegas point spread even is, so I don't buy this excuse. The casual fan should know this is the number 2 team in the country and be excited about it on a beautiful September night in MN.

A casual fan could be someone more interested in the Vikings or Twins and only give the Gophers a look when they are winning and I know a lot of those. They know what a point spread is.

Honestly to me this is the real key. If we have a few thousand unsold tickets it will be disappointing but not the end of the world. However if at kickoff there are large pockets of empty seats that will be truly disappointing.

I don't think it ever gets released but I have always thought it would be interesting to see what the actual attendance vs. the paid attendance is at a lot of sporting events. You see all the time where they flash the "paid" attendance number up on the board and with one quick look around you can see that the number of butts in the seats isn't anywhere close to that number. This applies to all events not just Gopher football games.

As a packer season ticket holder, I have no clue what you're talking about! ;)

/ducks

A casual fan could be someone more interested in the Vikings or Twins and only give the Gophers a look when they are winning and I know a lot of those. They know what a point spread is.

My girlfriend hasn't missed a Packer's game in the 4 years we have been dating and she has never heard of a point spread. Those are the casual fans I am referring to. A casual fan could be many things, but I would NEVER consider anyone who knows what a point spread is to be a casual fan. Anyone who has any idea what a point spread is understands what sports gambling is. I wouldn't expect a casual sports fan to bet on anything outside of the $5 office march madness pool.

It doesn't take a whole lot of attention to notice point spreads, it's right in the paper.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

It doesn't take a whole lot of attention to notice point spreads, it's right in the paper.

But most Packer fans can't read anything but the number of ounces in a can of beer. :drink::drink::drink:

Oh and online, over-the-air TV, cable, radio, satellite and terrestrial, etc. Wouldn't consider someone much of a sports fan if they hadn't even heard of a point spread.

Will the Horned Frogs fans come in droves? They're highly rated, but don't have a rich tradition. If there are 4,700 tickets left as of now, could there be even more if TCU returns unused tickets?

Will the Horned Frogs fans come in droves? They're highly rated, but don't have a rich tradition. If there are 4,700 tickets left as of now, could there be even more if TCU returns unused tickets?

TCU has already returned the unused tickets.

My girlfriend hasn't missed a Packer's game in the 4 years we have been dating and she has never heard of a point spread. Those are the casual fans I am referring to. A casual fan could be many things, but I would NEVER consider anyone who knows what a point spread is to be a casual fan. Anyone who has any idea what a point spread is understands what sports gambling is. I wouldn't expect a casual sports fan to bet on anything outside of the $5 office march madness pool.

I said Twins and Vikings. I would never expect a Packer's fan to understand.

BTW, your girlfriend has watched 64 straight Packer's games and has never heard of a point spread? Never heard the term "heavily favored" or "big underdogs" or "10 point favorite"? Not talking about knowing the ins-and-outs of Vegas betting, just simply knowing whether one team is favored over the other.

Oh and online, over-the-air TV, cable, radio, satellite and terrestrial, etc. Wouldn't consider someone much of a sports fan if they hadn't even heard of a point spread.

Exactly why we are talking about someone not hearing of a point spread being a casual fan, thank you for proving my point further :)

I said Twins and Vikings. I would never expect a Packer's fan to understand.

BTW, your girlfriend has watched 64 straight Packer's games and has never heard of a point spread? Never heard the term "heavily favored" or "big underdogs" or "10 point favorite"? Not talking about knowing the ins-and-outs of Vegas betting, just simply knowing whether one team is favored over the other.

Now you are stretching to make your point. If you told her the Packer's are "heavily favored", "big underdogs" or "10 point favorites" she would understand all three of those. If you told her "the Packers have a minus 10 point spread today" she would not know what that means or even how it is used.

Top Bottom