Q&A: Theo John Says it Was Fun to Play in Front of Coach Pitino and Coach Johnson

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Theo John Says it Was Fun to Play in Front of Coach Pitino and Coach Johnson at Gophers Camp
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/544008?referrer_id=388419

Theo John, a 6-foot-9 rising junior center from Champlin Park (MN) High, helped lead the Rebels to a 31-1 record as they finished runner-up to Apple Valley in the Class AAAA finals, losing 64-61 this spring. He received a scholarship offer from Minnesota this spring.

John had seven points, nine rebounds and three blocked shots against in their opening state tournament win over St. Francis, 14 points, four rebounds and four blocked shots versus Shakopee in the semifinals and two points, six rebounds and six blocked shots in the title game.

John, who is considered the state's top big man in the Class of 2017, caught up with Gopher Hole to discuss his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You are finally done with a long AAU season. How pleased were you with how things turned out for you guys?

Theo John: It was pretty good. I mean we fell short of the Peach Jam, which was our goal, but we had a good summer. Loved being with the program and we just worked together as a team that we had to do.

Gopher Hole: You are getting a chance to play with your high school teammates again. You and fellow classmate McKinley Wright are going to have to be more of the leaders after graduating some key seniors. Is that something that you are looking forward to?

Theo John: Oh, yes. They taught us well. They taught everything we know with leadership. We still look up to them for advice once in a while and we just have got to lead the team and teach them Champlin ways.

Gopher Hole: You picked up an offer from Illinois since the last time that I talked to you. Any other offers?

Theo John: No. Just the six that I have. (Minnesota, Marquette, Nebraska, Illinois, Iowa and Texas Tech)

Gopher Hole: That has to make you feel awfully proud that you are hearing from so many schools this early?

Theo John: Oh, yes.

Gopher Hole: Do you like the recruiting process so far?

Theo John: It is nice. It is nice just to know that your college is going to be paid for and people like the way that you play and want to develop you. It can get a little stressful once in a while, but it has been pretty good for me so far and I'm handling it pretty easy.

Gopher Hole: What has been your favorite part so far?

Theo John: Just different type of schools that you get letters from. Calls from. Texts. It is fun to play in front of those coaches. You see Coach K watching your game and you get a little extra fire under your butt.

Gopher Hole: Do you try not to notice those coaches? You know that they are there obviously?

Theo John: I don't pay attention. I know that they are there, but I don't pay attention to the crowd. Sometimes, some player will tap me that that this coach is here, but you just try to ignore it and play your game and if they like you, they like you.

Gopher Hole: But when you make a really good play, do you ever look over a little bit?

Theo John: No.

Gopher Hole: That's good. I think that a lot of other kids do. You are still a ways from making your decision on schools, but what are going to be the main factors that you are going to be looking at for a school?

Theo John: You know, I'm not sure yet. probably come down to academics. Who wants to develop me? If I'll be playing or not right away. Again, I still don't know what I want to go to school for. If I want to start my first year, so once the time comes, I'll start writing it down, seeing what I want to do and making my decision based on that.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the hometown school? What are you hearing from Minnesota?

Theo John: They talk to me like once or twice a week. Just talk basketball. Talk life. See how they are doing. But they are a great school.

Gopher Hole: You were at their team camp a few weeks ago. What was that experience like?

Theo John: My hip was hurt, so I only played one game, but it is a great gym. A lot of history in there and got to play in front of Pitino and Ben Johnson and the rest of them and it was fun to do.

Top Bottom