Shama details Flip/Teague, calls Teague "a cocky administrator and newcomer to (MN)"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Shama details Flip/Teague, calls Teague "a cocky administrator and newcomer to (MN)"

per Shama:

Sources said Saunders was interested in returning to his alma mater. Teague, a cocky administrator and newcomer to this state, had other candidates for his basketball coaching job and made them a priority. The search wasn’t gaining ground when Teague agreed to meet out of town with Saunders—a gesture that may well have been prompted by pressure from program boosters and media to interview the former Gopher.

Saunders was told in the interview he would need the approval of Teague to hire his assistant coaches, according to multiple sources. A career coach with more than 30 years of experience and with connections all over the country, Saunders wasn’t going to be told who he could hire.

There probably were other issues—perhaps including bonus incentives—that may have tripped up getting a deal done. Whatever the stumbling blocks, talks ended within about 24 hours.

My sources questioned the determination of Teague’s efforts with Saunders. I know the late David Larson, a major Gophers financial supporter and former member of the University of Minnesota’s Board of Regents, was angry a deal couldn’t be reached with Saunders.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Another sad example - wish more people had the courage to speak up about Teague when it was difficult to do. Pushover sally's.

This is crap. Flip was never going to turn down being czar of the wolves to coach the gophs. He may of thought this of teague but he was never coming here. It was a token interview by both parties

I'm sure many of the things Shama states are true, but he is also making a lot of assumptions.

As I mentioned at the time, I didn't think Teague had any interest in hiring Flip. I also don't think there was a chance Flip would take the job......he had been negotiating with Taylor for VP, GM and part owner of the NBA team.......and that is where is experience was.

Highly doubt Tyus would have come to the U. Playing at Duke with his buddy and a much better chance at a national title.

Nothing against Flip, but he can work the media as well as anyone.

This is crap. Flip was never going to turn down being czar of the wolves to coach the gophs. He may of thought this of teague but he was never coming here. It was a token interview by both parties

Probably not.....but if it's true that Flip would need the approval of Teague on assistant coaches......then that's kind of silly.

Probably not.....but if it's true that Flip would need the approval of Teague on assistant coaches......then that's kind of silly.

I don't think it's silly at all. The U is extra sensitive to that issue after the Tubby / Jimmy fiasco.

Obviously it's embarrassing that a reporter thinks "newcomer to this state" is somehow relevant. Maybe Teague is/was "cocky" but doing his job and not just handing over the keys to the basketball program to Flip Saunders certainly doesn't prove that point.

Many of the points made in the article have been made many times before and certainly seem to be Flip's side of the story. I am surprised more people haven't at least took a glance in Flip Saunders direction in all of this. Richard Pitino reached agreement with Minnesota on April 4, 2013 while about a month later on May 3, 2013 Flip Saunders received one of the sweetest deals of all time for a coach/former coach and was named President of Basketball Operations (and minority owner) of the Minnesota Timberwolves. For more than a year prior to the Gophers job opening, it was rumored that Flip wanted the job. He did little to dispel those whispers when he started going to local high school games and visiting more publicly with Tom Izzo. Isn't it at least plausible that Flip wanted to put a little pressure on Glen Taylor "Hey I might go coach the Gophers..." and never truly intended on taking the job if a Wolves offer was on the table? It's kind of hard to believe that the team president/minority ownership thing just came up in the few weeks after Pitino took the Gophers job.

One other point about "approval to hire assistant coaches". Some may have forgotten, but the idea of Ryan Saunders being an assistant was not a popular idea with the vast majority of Gopher fans after the recent experience with Father/Son coaching duos.

Maybe Flip would have been a great coach for the Gophers, if he wanted the job. I haven't been impressed with his X's and O's so far with the Wolves, but he's done a very nice job of reshaping that roster and (at least in the very early stages) starting to develop the young guys.

Obviously it's embarrassing that a reporter thinks "newcomer to this state" is somehow relevant. Maybe Teague is/was "cocky" but doing his job and not just handing over the keys to the basketball program to Flip Saunders certainly doesn't prove that point.

Many of the points made in the article have been made many times before and certainly seem to be Flip's side of the story. I am surprised more people haven't at least took a glance in Flip Saunders direction in all of this. Richard Pitino reached agreement with Minnesota on April 4, 2013 while about a month later on May 3, 2013 Flip Saunders received one of the sweetest deals of all time for a coach/former coach and was named President of Basketball Operations (and minority owner) of the Minnesota Timberwolves. For more than a year prior to the Gophers job opening, it was rumored that Flip wanted the job. He did little to dispel those whispers when he started going to local high school games and visiting more publicly with Tom Izzo. Isn't it at least plausible that Flip wanted to put a little pressure on Glen Taylor "Hey I might go coach the Gophers..." and never truly intended on taking the job if a Wolves offer was on the table? It's kind of hard to believe that the team president/minority ownership thing just came up in the few weeks after Pitino took the Gophers job.

One other point about "approval to hire assistant coaches". Some may have forgotten, but the idea of Ryan Saunders being an assistant was not a popular idea with the vast majority of Gopher fans after the recent experience with Father/Son coaching duos.

Maybe Flip would have been a great coach for the Gophers, if he wanted the job. I haven't been impressed with his X's and O's so far with the Wolves, but he's done a very nice job of reshaping that roster and (at least in the very early stages) starting to develop the young guys.

Without a doubt.

How many years had it been since Flip had been in the college BB scene. Sure seems like his interest was NBA.

The Wolves are my favorite team, so I'm glad Flip is with them. He's been amazing as far as roster management goes, but to be honest he would have been a bad college coach.

He probably would been a good recruiter, but he doesn't value the 3 ball. That would have killed the Gophers considering the collegiate 3 point line is such an advantage.

Summed up very well. We've at least got past the stage of Tony Dungy might take the Gopher job, but these sportswriters pushing their favorites because the guy has a Minnesota connection and is talking to them is ridiculous.

Haha

Flip: He's been amazing as far as roster management goes, but to be honest he would have been a bad college coach.

He probably would been a good recruiter, but he doesn't value the 3 ball. That would have killed the Gophers considering the collegiate 3 point line is such an advantage.

None of this is based on facts or results.

I don't know how good of a college coach Flip would have been, but he was definitely interested in the job. More so when Tubby was hired, bad timing as he was in a playoff run with Detroit, then when Tubby was fired. Flip is a Gopher through and through.

None of this is based on facts or results.

LOL. What? It couldn't be more based on facts.

Roster management wise: He got Bazz and Dieng out of 2013, drafted Lavine, and he gets credit for landing Wiggins, KAT, and Tyus.

3 point wise: This has been documented so much that I can't believe you don't know it's true. Google it. Look at how his teams rank in terms of three point attempts. Watch a game.

I don't care how you do it, it's so obvious that I seriously don't know how you don't know that.

Thanks for the laugh!

Roster management wise: He got Bazz and Dieng out of 2013, drafted Lavine, and he gets credit for landing Wiggins, KAT, and Tyus.

3 point wise: This has been documented so much that I can't believe you don't know it's true. Google it. Look at how his teams rank in terms of three point attempts. Watch a game.

I don't care how you do it, it's so obvious that I seriously don't know how you don't know that.

IALTOy

Again, I tend to look at results. Record: 16 - 66

Wiggins is the only keeper on that roster. I do have some hope for Tyus.

I don't think it's silly at all. The U is extra sensitive to that issue after the Tubby / Jimmy fiasco.
&
saul.jpg

Now a video coordinator. Do you think the AD didn't have something to say about his demotion?

I feel Flip should of had the go-ahead to hire (almost) anyone that he wanted, but Ryan as a top assistant? No thanks, that is classic basketball nepotism.

IALTOy

Again, I tend to look at results. Record: 16 - 66

Wiggins is the only keeper on that roster. I do have some hope for Tyus.

Geeze... I can't believe you actually typed that out....

I see what I'm dealing with here. I'll be done.

Do you give Flip more credit for having the worst record in the NBA or winning the lottery? I have no idea if all of these guys will work out; they may well be on their way to a dynasty. But giving him credit for having the #1 pick in the draft is funny to me.

Do you give Flip more credit for having the worst record in the NBA or winning the lottery? I have no idea if all of these guys will work out; they may well be on their way to a dynasty. But giving him credit for having the #1 pick in the draft is funny to me.

I give him credit for giving this franchise hope and the most talented roster in franchise history (obviously the talent still has to be tapped into). I also give him credit for taking KAT over Okafor which actually gives this team a chance to become a title contender.

My point was that using last year's record as a barometer for the future success of the franchise is idiotic.

Top Bottom