All Things Gophers in Spain Trip - Tweets, Articles and More!

I think this will be the first year of Pitino ball. Style-wise anyway.

per Marcus:

The University of Minnesota men's basketball team was in danger of suffering its first loss on its trip to Spain on Tuesday, but the Gophers came from behind in the fourth quarter to escape with a 71-68 victory over Real Canoe in Madrid.

Senior Carlos Morris had 12 points to lead the Gophers (4-0) in scoring on the trip with a 13-point average. Sophomore Bakary Konate, who grabbed 12 rebounds in Monday's win, had eight points and eight rebounds. Freshmen Dupree McBrayer (10 points) and Jordan Murphy (nine points, six rebounds, three steals) also contributed to the come-from-behind victory.

Minnesota's program hadn't been on a foreign tour since going to British Columbia under former coach Tubby Smith in 2010. But coach Richard Pitino could see how much his team was growing.

"More than anything, this trip has been so beneficial for us basketball-wise because of practice, chemistry-wise because of off the court traveling to a foreign country together," Pitino said in a team video Tuesday. "So we've gotten a lot out of it."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_28662416/gophers-basketball-team-closes-out-4-0-trip

Go Gophers!!

Sophomore Bakary Konate, who grabbed 12 rebounds in Monday's win, had eight points and eight rebounds. Freshmen Dupree McBrayer (10 points) and Jordan Murphy (nine points, six rebounds, three steals) also contributed to the come-from-behind victory.
!

A couple of my hopes / thoughts from the trip;

Is Murphy going to be a more polished version of what we hoped Josh Martin would have been?

Can Konate be a 8 & 6 guy? I'd take that with a few more blocks and decreased fouls.

This is the year we find out how good of a coach Pitino is. He has some raw talent that he gets to mold into B1G players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am I wrong to be excited about this team? Before last season (when we all thought our senior experience would take us to the next level - pre-meltdown/disappointment) I was still concerned that most of our guys were one-dimensional. Most of our roster is a complete question mark this year but I have hope that at least a couple of the new guys bring a well-rounded contribution. Here's to versatility, which could become a new strength of the team.

Am I wrong to be excited about this team? Before last season (when we all thought our senior experience would take us to the next level - pre-meltdown/disappointment) I was still concerned that most of our guys were one-dimensional. Most of our roster is a complete question mark this year but I have hope that at least a couple of the new guys bring a well-rounded contribution. Here's to versatility, which could become a new strength of the team.

Wrong? No way.

I get excited for every team. This one has a TON of unknown so it's particularly exciting/nerve racking to know so little about who will do what on this team. We cannot even determine who the top scorer will be on this team, whens the last time we didn't have a consensus pick for that title? (whether or not it came to fruition is another topic, but genearlly heading into the year we thought we knew were the points were coming from)

Would be cool if the U could post a youtube of some highlights from the 4 games. Would love to see some clips of Dorsey, Murphy, McBrayer, and Gilbert.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this team! Unlike the recent past, all of these guy are athletic studs! Our big men can move up and down the court and jump, and our wings and guards are all quick. The worst athlete is probably Joey King. All the rest can easily fly down the court and stretch out our defense. I think they could surprise some teams if Rich can develop them in the non-conference for the grind it out type of ball they will see in conference.

Go Gophers!

heard very little if anything at all about Gilbert this trip. Anyone know if he actually played or what happened?

heard very little if anything at all about Gilbert this trip. Anyone know if he actually played or what happened?

I'm certain he played. The daily recaps only listed the guys with significant stat lines. Pitino, in his video recap of the last game said that all the young guys played and did well - or something to that effect.

I'm certain he played. The daily recaps only listed the guys with significant stat lines. Pitino, in his video recap of the last game said that all the young guys played and did well - or something to that effect.

Here's a tweet from Pitino on it -

@MNCoachPitino: @AllWeKnowIsEat I'll say three way tie between Dorsey, Dupree and Murphy. Gilbert didn't play as much but has bright future as well.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread, but Northwestern, Nebraska, and Iowa State also toured (or are going to tour) Spain this Summer. I know Iowa State lost a game and cancelled another (very shorthanded to begin with), but it would be kind of interesting to know if we played any of the same opponents as the other schools.

Would be cool if the U could post a youtube of some highlights from the 4 games. Would love to see some clips of Dorsey, Murphy, McBrayer, and Gilbert.

Interesting observation to say the least. Very surprised no footage at all to be seen.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread, but Northwestern, Nebraska, and Iowa State also toured (or are going to tour) Spain this Summer. I know Iowa State lost a game and cancelled another (very shorthanded to begin with), but it would be kind of interesting to know if we played any of the same opponents as the other schools.

Northwestern: plays Estudiantes august 24th, Eurocolegio Casvi august 25th, UCAM Murcia II august 27th, Andorra august 29th and US Toulouges august 30th. Nobody we played.

Nebraska: beat Eurocolegio Casvi 79-64 , beat Albacete 65-62, Friday, Aug. 21 (Europe Basketball Academy) and Saturday, Aug. 22 (CB Castelldefels)

Iowa State: lost to Venezuelan National Team, beat Valencia all stars 96-52, and beat Barcelona all stars 88-70 (Gophers played Barcelona and won 89-66)

Not much overlap just 1 team overlap with Nebraska-Northwestern and Minnesota-Iowa state

Top Bottom