No Teague No Pitino

Serious question:
Who was the last Big Ten basketball coach to resign? I can't think of any? I'm sure someone will prove me wrong, but to my memory coaches in the Big Ten retire or get fired they don't leave for other jobs on their own terms.

Off the top of my head:

Illinois lost Lon Kruger to the NBA.
Illinois lost Bill Self to Kansas.
Iowa lost Lute Olson to Arizona.
Iowa lost George Raveling to USC.
Iowa lost Steve Alford to New Mexico.
Michigan lost Johnny Orr to Iowa State.
Michigan lost Bill Frieder to Arizona State.
Ohio State lost Gary Williams to Maryland.
Purdue lost Lee Rose to South Florida.
Wisconsin lost Stu Jackson to the NBA.
Penn State lost Ed Dechallis to Navy.

Bill Self to Kansas
Dick Bennett to Wash St
couple more that come to mind

Bennett had retired had Wisconsin. Then, two years later, came out of retirement to take the WSU job.

Lou Holtz left for Notre Dame - I'll never forgive him.

Off the top of my head:

They all had at least 1 season of a winning Big Ten record except for Stu jackson and Gary williams(2 different 9-9 records no better).

Since evidence has surfaced that Teague is not of the highest quality character, maybe the fact that he's not here anymore won't affect Pitino? I'd personally be glad to be rid of a boss who is sexually harassing people.

Lou is a great man with outstanding moral character. (imagine southern accent)

per Shama:

It’s interesting to look back at the comments of Rick Pitino about Teague. Pitino, the Louisville basketball coach, is the father of Gophers men’s coach Richard Pitino who was Teague’s most important coaching hire in three years at Minnesota. In April of 2014 the older Pitino, talking on 1500 ESPN, referred to Teague as one of the five best athletic directors in the country. “He’s an awesome AD,” Pitino said. “He is going to bring them to heights they’ve never seen before.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Papa Rick was right about the "never seen before" part of it.

Another reason to take everything these coaches say with a grain of salt. Cronyism at its finest. Of course he's a great AD, Rick, he hired your son to a B1G job with virtually no head coaching experience.

My thought on this thread- The presence of Teague will have nothing to do with the longevity, early departure, success or failure of Richard Pitino at the U of M. If Pitino has a good fall recruiting class and a good year of developing his current batch- he'll be around a while. If he can't seal the deal on recruits or if this year's team is short on potential- things may change.

Pitino had no prior connection to Teague. If the new AD and him are on the same page and we get the practice facility done, there's no inherent reason for him to leave. That said, I agree that he's never made it feel like he's here for the long haul, Teauge or no.

Maybe Teague and Rick partied in Louisville restaurants where Rick likes to close the places at night.

Off the top of my head:

Losing a coach to Kansas, Arizona or the NBA is understandable, much like losing a FB coach to Notre Dame. Alford and DeChellis were getting out before the firing squad. I don't know the details of Johnny Orr, Frieder or Lee Rose (whoever that is) but they were all > 25 years ago.

That said, I agree that he's never made it feel like he's here for the long haul, Teauge or no.

What would you like him to do to make you feel he's here for the long haul? He's mentioned a million times about wanting to build something special in Minnesota and that he believes we have all the resources to be a great program once we get the practice facility. I liked his reasons for not publicly squashing every stupid rumor that we as Gopher Bball fans have to deal with every year, seemingly regardless of coach or team performance.

I don't think it means much for coaches to talk about how long they plan on staying with a team. They might just be saying that because they think that's the best thing to do or they might think they want to stay until they retire... until an offer they can't refuse pops up. Really doesn't mean much. I don't blame them either - that's how it is for basically any person in regards to his/her career.

After last year......he's not going anywhere. Unless we've got a freshman phenom on the roster.......it's unlikely that we'll do better than the NIT......and then he'll once again be going nowhere.

Papa Rick was right about the "never seen before" part of it.

Another reason to take everything these coaches say with a grain of salt. Cronyism at its finest. Of course he's a great AD, Rick, he hired your son to a B1G job with virtually no head coaching experience.

+1

My thought on this thread- The presence of Teague will have nothing to do with the longevity, early departure, success or failure of Richard Pitino at the U of M. If Pitino has a good fall recruiting class and a good year of developing his current batch- he'll be around a while. If he can't seal the deal on recruits or if this year's team is short on potential- things may change.

Look to the 2016/17 season. I'm not saying he needs make the dance, but the program needs to show momentum. Without Norwood the leash is somewhat shorter.

Look to the 2016/17 season. I'm not saying he needs make the dance, but the program needs to show momentum. Without Norwood the leash is somewhat shorter.

He needs to make the tournament in 16-17 or he'd be 50-50 at best to last. This year we need to play hard, get better and show potential, in addition to garnering a real solid Fall class of recruits. I think he is going to get it done here.

Losing a coach to Kansas, Arizona or the NBA is understandable, much like losing a FB coach to Notre Dame. Alford and DeChellis were getting out before the firing squad. I don't know the details of Johnny Orr, Frieder or Lee Rose (whoever that is) but they were all > 25 years ago.

Yeah. Almost all of these would be considered steps down in a coaching career (the exceptions noted already).

Top Bottom