No Teague No Pitino

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
You heard it here first, with Teague gone Pitino will not be back at Minnesota for the 2016-2017 season.

This will be Pitino's last year. He will search for a new job. He will not be fired.

You heard it here first, with Teague gone Pitino will not be back at Minnesota for the 2016-2017 season.

This will be Pitino's last year. He will search for a new job. He will not be fired.

K.

Deal...if Pitino leaves, will you?

You need to cut back on your medication.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He'll have to go at least .500 in conference play to get a "new job" after this year. With similar or worse results to '15 he'll have to take a huge pay cut to either be a head coach at a school similar in profile to Florida International or become an assistant again (likely at Louisville). I hope he's our coach for a long time, I think he'll be a good one.

Pitino is here to stay, but this just adds another reason for the doubters to bs about how he is leaving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pitino wants to leave whether Norwood is here or not. His roster will keep him here for at least two more years.

Pitino wants to leave whether Norwood is here or not. His roster will keep him here for at least two more years.

These two statements are a bit disconnected. Is there some more that could be added to this post that would make more sense?

I'm with Jamiche on this one. Pitino is a short-timer here whether Woody's around or not. My simple hope is that when he leaves it's because he's had success here, not the other way around.

In the meantime, hoping Kaler can find an AD (Thompson maybe?) who has the credentials and moxie to reel in Richie when he goes on one of his hissy fits. Teague was afraid of Richie, evidenced by him giving Pitino the raise even though Pitino was going nowhere after the season the Gophers just had. Shrewd move by Pitino's agent and his dad to get it out there that schools like Alabama coveted him. Got him some extra dough.

These two statements are a bit disconnected. Is there some more that could be added to this post that would make more sense?

Not disconnected at all. Pitino was linked to several openings in the offseason, at least one seriously, and never publicly disclaimed any of them until he was out of the running. He was looking around even with Norwood as his AD. However, he's stuck here for a while because he has a young roster with almost no returning difference makers. That means he's at least two years away from sniffing the NCAA tournament, which is his ticket to a lateral or better move. The only two things that might change the timing (not the outlook) would be a huge surprise on the court this season or his father using connections to line something up for him.

With new facilities being built/building and budget enough to find another 1.5 million, if it's deserved, to pay Pitino I don't see pitino leaving for another school in 2 years or more. Now if a school wanted to pay him $3 mil right now I don't think he's worth that. If they want to pay him after success we should find a way to make it work. And if a school wants to pay him $4 mil/yr or more he'd move into the top5 or top 10 paid college basketball coaches and he'll probably walk (I doubt a school is that crazy at this point). My point is he isn't leaving unless fired or has at least had more than 1 good year at MN and ends up with a blue blood-ish program.

Pitino will need a sweet 16 type year to catch the attention of better programs. Building a new state of art facility shows the commitment to winning. As long as that's here and pitino is performing and we pay him what he's worth. Unless he truly hates living here pitino will be our coach. Either way he will be the coach the next two years and if we fail name dance by then. He will be gone. There are a lot of good in state recruits for 16 and 17Pitino lands the majority of them to add to his young and talented core. Gophs will be just fine

Stop.

Not disconnected at all. Pitino was linked to several openings in the offseason, at least one seriously, and never publicly disclaimed any of them until he was out of the running. He was looking around even with Norwood as his AD. However, he's stuck here for a while because he has a young roster with almost no returning difference makers. That means he's at least two years away from sniffing the NCAA tournament, which is his ticket to a lateral or better move. The only two things that might change the timing (not the outlook) would be a huge surprise on the court this season or his father using connections to line something up for him.

Uh, no. Pure silliness. Lil' Ricky was never in the running for any job. It was only the media that was linking him to anything. No decent program would have taken him coming off of last year's disaster.

You heard it here first, with Teague gone Pitino will not be back at Minnesota for the 2016-2017 season. This will be Pitino's last year. He will search for a new job. He will not be fired.

Serious question:
Who was the last Big Ten basketball coach to resign? I can't think of any? I'm sure someone will prove me wrong, but to my memory coaches in the Big Ten retire or get fired they don't leave for other jobs on their own terms.

Serious question:
Who was the last Big Ten basketball coach to resign? I can't think of any? I'm sure someone will prove me wrong, but to my memory coaches in the Big Ten retire or get fired they don't leave for other jobs on their own terms.

Without doing any research, I think Bill Self.

Serious question:

Ed DeChellis, Penn State to Navy.

Uh, no. Pure silliness. Lil' Ricky was never in the running for any job. It was only the media that was linking him to anything. No decent program would have taken him coming off of last year's disaster.
X2 Pitino unless he gets fired isn't going anywhere. I think with his transfers and on going recruiting he is looking to having a pretty good team in a couple years. After that who knows? Let' s just hope he has good enough years so to worry about or hoping he leaves for some is a realistic possibilty.

Wow, the same clowns find any excuse to claims Pitino is leaving. So if you think he is so bad, why would anyone steal him? Your logic is ridiculous, and very annoying.

Minnesota is Richard's Louisville. Just give it a rest for a few months!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarity, though I have read subsequent comments on this thread. Tend to agree Pitino's future whether it is here or where else is in his hands. He has something to prove that he can coach and or develop players. Or he will show the world he cannot coach, the lens will be on him this year and next. Time may expire on his ability to produce in two years. I am rooting for him but a fans patience can disapate easily.

I never said he was in the running. He was trying to be in the running.

Wow, the same clowns find any excuse to claims Pitino is leaving. So if you think he is so bad, why would anyone steal him? Your logic is ridiculous, and very annoying.

Minnesota is Richard's Louisville. Just give it a rest for a few months!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody is trying to steal him. He's trying to find a way out.

Nobody is trying to steal him. He's trying to find a way out.

And where do you get this info from? How are you so certain he's trying to find a way out?

At least have some type of integrity to make this comment.

And where do you get this info from? How are you so certain he's trying to find a way out?

At least have some type of integrity to make this comment.

If you strip away the bs and look at the circumstances, it's reasonable to conclude that Rich, with Rick's help, was trying to get in the mix for the Alabama job. If you want to put your head in the sand on this issue and pretend that the U is Rich's Louisville as alchemy says, that's fine. The point is that he's not going anywhere for at least a couple of years because no one will want him. However, that doesn't mean that he's not trying to leave.

http://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/index.ssf/2015/05/richard_pitino_seriously_consi.html

If you strip away the bs and look at the circumstances, it's reasonable to conclude that Rich, with Rick's help, was trying to get in the mix for the Alabama job. If you want to put your head in the sand on this issue and pretend that the U is Rich's Louisville as alchemy says, that's fine. The point is that he's not going anywhere for at least a couple of years because no one will want him. However, that doesn't mean that he's not trying to leave.

http://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/index.ssf/2015/05/richard_pitino_seriously_consi.html
You get a high major job, a young coach's dream and immediately tries to find a way to leave. What a bunch of made up BS. Minnesota insecurity strikes again.

You get a high major job, a young coach's dream and immediately tries to find a way to leave. What a bunch of made up BS. Minnesota insecurity strikes again.

Agreed. It is not even 'What have you done lately' but 'what have you done at all?' Seriously why would Alabama want him at this juncture? I am rooting for him but I am guarded about what we have here.

Serious question:

Bill Frieder a long time ago
Lute Olson even farther back than Frieder

Serious question:

It's often difficult to come up with examples if you don't do any research. X Man came up with two older ones. I can think of two more recent ones who voluntarily left their Big Ten jobs: Steve Alford (Iowa) and Ed DeChelis (Penn State). There could well be others within the last 20 years. Pitino could have a poor year this year and a pretty decent one the following year and decide to go somewhere else for a fresh start and a new clock.

Bill Frieder a long time ago
Lute Olson even farther back than Frieder

Lute's successor at Iowa, George Raveling, also left of his own accord after three years. I believe he thought the Iowa City job was too much like living in a fishbowl for his liking. Undoubtedly, he achieved far more anonymity coaching USC in Los Angeles.

Top Bottom