2015 Gophers Football Fall Camp Thread - Tweets, Analysis and More

per Shama:

Among true freshmen making a good impression at early Gophers practices were offensive tackle Quinn Oseland and running back James Johanesson. Oseland, 6-6, 301 pounds from Springfield, Illinois, was rated the No. 2 offensive tackle in Illinois by Scout.com. Johannesson, the two-time North Dakota Gatorade Player of the Year, rushed for 81 career touchdowns at Fargo South High School. If Johannesson, 6-1, 221 pounds, becomes a starter for the Gophers some day, he will draw comparisons with Barry Mayer, a similar size running back from Fargo who led Minnesota in rushing in 1968 and 1969.

Mayer’s son, Adam Mayer, is a freshman walk-on wide receiver with the Gophers. The 6-1, 205-pound Mayer is from Concord, California where he played on a state championship high school team and was considered one of the better prep receivers in the Bay Area.

Gophers senior wide receiver KJ Maye liked what he saw of true freshman wide receiver Rashad Still during informal summer workouts. “The way that he can go get the deep ball and the way that he learns (impressed),” Maye said. “He learns pretty good.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Dave Shama also says in his column that the U has lined up a baseball tourney at US Bank for 2018....can this be right? Hadn't heard that they would configure a baseball diamond/field for use there.

Dave Shama also says in his column that the U has lined up a baseball tourney at US Bank for 2018....can this be right? Hadn't heard that they would configure a baseball diamond/field for use there.

Sounds right. I'm pretty sure that was part of the deal if the Vikings wanted all the free taxpayer money.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-reach-deal-on-baseball-dimensions-at-new-stadium/192631131/

Yep:

rEX4iKP.jpg

per Shama:

he will draw comparisons with Barry Mayer, a similar size running back from Fargo who led Minnesota in rushing in 1968 and 1969.

Mayer’s son, Adam Mayer, is a freshman walk-on wide receiver with the Gophers. The 6-1, 205-pound Mayer is from Concord, California where he played on a state championship high school team and was considered one of the better prep receivers in the Bay Area.

Gophers senior wide receiver KJ Maye liked what he saw of true freshman wide receiver Rashad Still during informal summer workouts. “The way that he can go get the deep ball and the way that he learns (impressed),” Maye said. “He learns pretty good.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!
Is this correct - he played in 1968 and now has an 18 year old son walking on?

Is this correct - he played in 1968 and now has an 18 year old son walking on?

Was thinking the same thing. Means he was 49-50 when he was born. It has been done before.

Or it's his grandson and Shama messed up. I don't really know.

Was thinking the same thing. Means he was 49-50 when he was born. It has been done before.

Or it's his grandson and Shama messed up. I don't really know.

Barry is his dad for sure. Your math is correct - he had to be 49 or 50 when Adam was born.

Looks like Gagliardi was ahead of his time

Way ahead of his time and people used to laugh. He quickly realized that getting players hurt in practice didn't benefit anyone but the upcoming opponent. Also, he spent valuable practice time making sure that the guys knew where to be in every situation and be in position to make a play in the first place. If you were given the chance but couldn't do it then you did not play. I think most college programs go like this these days.

I have a four year old at 48. Families come in different configurations. He has missed only one home game in his life.

I have a four year old at 48. Families come in different configurations. He has missed only one home game in his life.
I have the same at 46. And I can't imagine life being any better!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We don't need Maxx.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We don't need Maxx.

If he caught that with his left hand, ok that'd be pretty cool. The fact he caught that with his right hand is what's so crazy about it.

We don't need Maxx.

That catch is amazing. One of the best if not THE best I've seen. Crazy!

He never would have caught that if not for the tight spiral.

Not certain, but it looks like Streveler to me.

Looking carefully at the jersey (faint "5"), knowing the build of the QBs and seeing the throwing action; I'm certain it is Streveler (plus it's the #2 Offense). Nice quick release.

On the other side of the ball, the blitzing linebackers are quick and I liked the scheme. Well executed on both sides of the ball....BUT THAT CATCH! SICK!!

Barry Mayer - my favorite Gopher player from that era - when I really started to follow the Gophers more closely. (was 13 in '68.)

I hate practices that are closed to the public & media.

Top Bottom