Shooter: Norwood Teague may be resigning today

Don't be so stupid. Of course Pitino liked Norwood, but they are not joined at the hip. Pitino will not base his career on where Norwood is working. As long as the U hires a good AD that supports the basketball program, Pitino will be happy. The facilities will still be built, Norwood was leading the effort, but he is not the only person working on it and he is not indispensable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This sucks. I thought Norwood was doing a nice job to date all things considered and bringing in a new A.D. at this time brings up a whole host of questions. I guess the only sliver of a silver lining here is that Norwood resigned and admitted to the wrongdoing and that there won't be any severance package (although sometimes we find out about people in these situations ending up with money well after the fact). Norwood certainly isn't the first person to do some really stupid things while drunk and he won't be the last. Hopefully we don't find out that this was a pattern of behavior throughout his time as A.D.

I worry about the ramifications of this news far more for basketball than football. For the short term, Jerry Kill has built up enough good will that he's going to be the football coach regardless of his record. I certainly don't think Kill has done enough to have a major say in who the next A.D. is, but that's probably a topic for another day. With Kill entrenched for the short term, and if we get the type of A.D. I hope we get, Pitino's situation becomes very dicey. I don't think many people who are truly qualified to be an AD at a school that wants to compete at a major level are going to be satisfied having coaches in both major sports be guys that he/she did not hire personally...especially if neither is overwhelmingly successful. From Pitino's side, unless Mike Ellis is retained and the new A.D. makes him extremely comfortable, I don't see how he sticks around if he has another option in the next year or two. Another bad season this year and the new A.D. might want to make a move, while a surprisingly good season would have Pitino looking to move to a place where he'd be the A.D.'s "guy". Obviously the ideal scenario is that Pitino and the new A.D. hit it off and Pitino has a great season and is our coach for years to come. Unfortunately, "ideal" and "Gopher sports" have never went together in my lifetime.

It cannot hurt that Beth Goetz is so loved by Brad Stevens.. Thats a hoops school and Brad is in the NBA. I would imagine she already reached out to Pitino. I do think Pitino is always looking away.. but if he gets Ponds, etc and the team starts to build something (talent is getting better) he may wake up and realize.. whoa, I have got it pretty good. Bring in a solid AD and have Goetz who apparently is universally liked.. I think the Teague situation will not impact whether Pitino stays or not. He may never want to be here long term.. but that has nothing to do with Teague.

Pioneer Press: Minneapolis attorney will league Teague investigation

The University of Minnesota has hired Minneapolis-based attorney Karen Schanfield to investigate what the school calls "key issues" involving the resignation of former Gophers athletics director Norwood Teague.

The school announced Friday that Schanfield, of the law firm Fredrikson & Byron P.A., has been retained by the U's general counsel on behalf of the Board of Regents. Schanfield's specialty is advising and representing employers on workplace matters, such as harassment, discrimination, noncompete agreements and retaliation.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...lis-attorney-will-league-teague-investigation

Go Gophers!!

per Tom Powers:

Kaler ultimately hired Teague. He should have stood up, taken responsibility and offered his resignation. I didn’t say flat-out quit. But he should have at least offered, thereby giving the university a chance to try to talk him out of it if it were so inclined. After all, the public face of Minnesota athletics, his guy, has brought disgrace.

Plus, I’m not sure how well Kaler has handled the aftermath, other than putting together more committees. After Teague resigned, Kaler, it seemed to me, tried to put a cork in the bottle and declare the case closed. Also, while I’m not one to criticize every little slip of the tongue, his “over-served” remark seemed flippant and an insult to those who suffered harm. He has since apologized.

Even if this falls under the category of scapegoat, which I don’t think it does, so what? It demonstrates proper contrition and reinforces the notion that the next hire will be thoroughly vetted. The university looks bad right now. And when it comes to donations, image is everything. There’s a real mess in the athletic department with the Title IX investigation, a shortfall in financing for the proposed Athletes Village and the Teague implosion.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/3818803-tom-powers-teague-gone-damage-lingers

Go Gophers!!

per Tom Powers:

Kaler ultimately hired Teague. He should have stood up, taken responsibility and offered his resignation. I didn’t say flat-out quit. But he should have at least offered, thereby giving the university a chance to try to talk him out of it if it were so inclined. After all, the public face of Minnesota athletics, his guy, has brought disgrace.

Plus, I’m not sure how well Kaler has handled the aftermath, other than putting together more committees. After Teague resigned, Kaler, it seemed to me, tried to put a cork in the bottle and declare the case closed. Also, while I’m not one to criticize every little slip of the tongue, his “over-served” remark seemed flippant and an insult to those who suffered harm. He has since apologized.

Even if this falls under the category of scapegoat, which I don’t think it does, so what? It demonstrates proper contrition and reinforces the notion that the next hire will be thoroughly vetted. The university looks bad right now. And when it comes to donations, image is everything. There’s a real mess in the athletic department with the Title IX investigation, a shortfall in financing for the proposed Athletes Village and the Teague implosion.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/3818803-tom-powers-teague-gone-damage-lingers

Go Gophers!!
So I am sure he is going to write an article calling for the resignation of the CEO of every company who has an employee resign over sexual harassment issues?

If an employer is supposed to offer their resignation every time one of their employees needs to be fired; don't you think that would lead the employer to cover-up the employees actions?

If an employer is supposed to offer their resignation every time one of their employees needs to be fired; don't you think that would lead the employer to cover-up the employees actions?

You just blew my mind

Kaler screwed up by not accepting responsibility for one of his major hires that included an enormous committee... "it's just one guy, screw him, he's gone" is a bad message when it's as high-profile hire as your AD.

Kaler has overseen unacceptable behavior by Smith, Teague and others and it's sad.

Kaler screwed up by not accepting responsibility for one of his major hires that included an enormous committee... "it's just one guy, screw him, he's gone" is a bad message when it's as high-profile hire as your AD. Kaler has overseen unacceptable behavior by Smith, Teague and others and it's sad.
Do tell, GW.

I doubt that any manager with any significant tenure hasn't made a hire that didn't work out. I know I have. And even considering the importance of an AD hire, I seem to recall that there was a search committee involved in the Teague hire that unanimously concluded that Teague was head and shoulders above any alternative candidate. Now that it turns out that Teague had a dark side, which I doubt was easily discerned, it's easy enough to call for the head of the one who was ultimately responsible for that hire. In my opinion, what is important is how a manger reacts once an employee's dark side has been revealed. Tom Power suggests that Kaler tired to "put a cork in the bottle." I respectfully disagree. In my view Kaler moved swiftly to remove Teague and has initiated an investigation to assure that any remaining problems within the Athletic Department will be identified and addressed. I think Kaler should be commended, not criticized. I think this nothing more than a journalist of questionable ethics trying to make something out of this situation that it isn't for personal gain.

I'm not sure why people think this is analogous to a CEO firing an employee for sexual harassment. This isn't simply any employee. The University of Minnesota AD has a huge effect on both the school and state in general since it's such a big school in a state so highly concentrated in an area with no other D1 schools for most major sports.

I'm not sure why people think this is analogous to a CEO firing an employee for sexual harassment. This isn't simply any employee. The University of Minnesota AD has a huge effect on both the school and state in general since it's such a big school in a state so highly concentrated in an area with no other D1 schools for most major sports.

I agree that the hiring of an AD is an especially important hire and requires a very high degree of due diligence, but from what I know of the circumstances of the Teague hiring, I find it difficult to fault Kaler. The StarTrib reported today that an Atlanta based search firm was paid in excess of $100,000 to identify and do back ground checks of AD candidates at the time. The University's search committee presumably reviewed that firm's recommendations and unanimously agreed that Teague was the best qualified candidate. I don't see what more Kaler should have done. And I especially think that the criticism of Kaler for his handling of the sexual harassment incidents is unfounded. Kaler acted quickly to deal with the situation and has commissioned a dual tract investigation to assure that the Athletic Department does not have further problems. I think his handling of the situation thus far is a model for other institutions, and deserves our praise; not our condemnation. Thus far I have been impressed with the job that Beth Goetz is doing as the interim. I hope that she gets serious consideration as Teague's replacement. I think Teague's behavior was outrageous, and not to be tolerated. I also think the University has made it clear that it, as an institution, will not in fact tolerate such behavior. That's precisely as it should be.

per the STrib:

The University of Minnesota said Monday that former athletic director Norwood Teague failed to disclose that he was facing a gender discrimination complaint at the time he was being recruited.

The school paid the Atlanta-based firm Parker Executive Search $112,539 in 2012 to find an athletic director and do background checks on leading candidates. However, that search failed to find that former Virginia Commonwealth University women’s basketball coach filed a complaint against Teague when he was the athletic director there. VCU paid Beth Cunningham $125,000 in July 2012 to settle the complaint.

The University of Minnesota said in a statement that Parker assured the school “that it had no knowledge of any illegal or inappropriate behavior concerning a candidate’s history or current employment.”

“With respect to Teague, specifically, as the committee’s recommended finalist, Parker conducted a full, thorough, and comprehensive background check that included a criminal check, references, credit check, and local and national media reviews for any potentially controversial areas of concern.”

http://www.startribune.com/norwood-...se-gender-discrimination-complaint/322094391/

Go Gophers!!

That's why you as President/CEO hire a search firm. Pretty tough to stick you with something on someone who was so thoroughly vetted.

I don't blame him for hiring Teague - apparently that firm sucks at background checks. I certainly wouldn't hire them again. Couldn't disagree more about how Kaler has handled him since hiring. Have you not been reading about all the red flags during Teague's time? He should've been fired a long time ago. Kaler preferred to sweep things under the table. As others have said, he has accepted zero responsibilty and then offended the victims by pretending this was one bad night due to excessive drinking. Teague is a scum bag of a human being and Kaler has kept him around.

I agree that the hiring of an AD is an especially important hire and requires a very high degree of due diligence, but from what I know of the circumstances of the Teague hiring, I find it difficult to fault Kaler. The StarTrib reported today that an Atlanta based search firm was paid in excess of $100,000 to identify and do back ground checks of AD candidates at the time. The University's search committee presumably reviewed that firm's recommendations and unanimously agreed that Teague was the best qualified candidate. I don't see what more Kaler should have done. And I especially think that the criticism of Kaler for his handling of the sexual harassment incidents is unfounded. Kaler acted quickly to deal with the situation and has commissioned a dual tract investigation to assure that the Athletic Department does not have further problems. I think his handling of the situation thus far is a model for other institutions, and deserves our praise; not our condemnation. Thus far I have been impressed with the job that Beth Goetz is doing as the interim. I hope that she gets serious consideration as Teague's replacement. I think Teague's behavior was outrageous, and not to be tolerated. I also think the University has made it clear that it, as an institution, will not in fact tolerate such behavior. That's precisely as it should be.

If it comes out that Kaler had any prior knowledge of Teague's sexual harassment at the U, he's gone. If not, he stays.

I don't blame him for hiring Teague - apparently that firm sucks at background checks. I certainly wouldn't hire them again. Couldn't disagree more about how Kaler has handled him since hiring. Have you not been reading about all the red flags during Teague's time? He should've been fired a long time ago. Kaler preferred to sweep things under the table. As others have said, he has accepted zero responsibilty and then offended the victims by pretending this was one bad night due to excessive drinking. Teague is a scum bag of a human being and Kaler has kept him around.

Now why would you say that?

Sorry if this has been covered and I haven't read it- but has Richard said anything publicly about Norwood Teague's transgressions? If so, I haven't read it. If not, why the heck not?!

Sorry if this has been covered and I haven't read it- but has Richard said anything publicly about Norwood Teague's transgressions? If so, I haven't read it. If not, why the heck not?!

I haven’t seen anything that he’s said. It’s a tricky spot for him given that Norwood hired him and he’s repeatedly referred to Teague as “one of the best ADs in the country.” Remember, too, that the basketball team left for Spain just a couple of days after the story broke. I am sure that he’ll have to address it when they return.

If I was Richard I'd just keep my mouth shut on the subject until I was cornered. Then I would say it is unfortunate that this has occurred, but we are moving on to Temple.

If I was Richard I'd just keep my mouth shut on the subject until I was cornered. Then I would say it is unfortunate that this has occurred, but we are moving on to Temple.

Temple's hiring Pitino?

No I've not read any such thing. Do you have links or citations?

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/...ler-backs-comments-norwood-teague-resignation
University of Minnesota president Eric Kaler retreated Friday from comments he made right after athletic director Norwood Teague's surprise resignation over sexual harassment allegations late last week, when he suggested it all happened because Teague had been served too much alcohol.
"I regret that very poor choice of words because I cannot state strongly enough that Teague is entirely responsible for his behavior, and alcohol use is no excuse," Kaler said in a prepared statement.

http://www.startribune.com/discrimi...innesota-and-virginia-commonwealth/321342421/
Lots in this one

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...gender-discrimination-settlements-dating-2012
He (Kaler) also said Friday that the reports were the first indication that Teague had mistreated women. (Riiiiiiight)

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...osters-blame-umn-president-athletics-director
During University of Minnesota president Eric Kaler's news conference last week announcing the resignation of athletics director Norwood Teague amid sexual harassment complaints, several Gophers boosters were unhappy that he did not accept responsibility for hiring him three years ago.

http://www.startribune.com/u-needs-to-bring-teague-and-maybe-others-to-account/321339181/
Some good points about how Kaler has screwed up

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/...ler-backs-comments-norwood-teague-resignation
University of Minnesota president Eric Kaler retreated Friday from comments he made right after athletic director Norwood Teague's surprise resignation over sexual harassment allegations late last week, when he suggested it all happened because Teague had been served too much alcohol.
"I regret that very poor choice of words because I cannot state strongly enough that Teague is entirely responsible for his behavior, and alcohol use is no excuse," Kaler said in a prepared statement.

http://www.startribune.com/discrimi...innesota-and-virginia-commonwealth/321342421/
Lots in this one

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...gender-discrimination-settlements-dating-2012
He (Kaler) also said Friday that the reports were the first indication that Teague had mistreated women. (Riiiiiiight)

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...osters-blame-umn-president-athletics-director
During University of Minnesota president Eric Kaler's news conference last week announcing the resignation of athletics director Norwood Teague amid sexual harassment complaints, several Gophers boosters were unhappy that he did not accept responsibility for hiring him three years ago.

http://www.startribune.com/u-needs-to-bring-teague-and-maybe-others-to-account/321339181/

I don't blame him for hiring Teague - apparently that firm sucks at background checks. I certainly wouldn't hire them again.

Well this firm did bring us Tim Brewster, so you can understand why we'd give them a lot of leeway.

Lots in this one

Thanks Underground. I appreciate the links, but none suggest that Kaler was aware of sexual harassment problems prior to the incidents that triggered Teague’s recent resignation. And even Interim AD, Beth Goetz, has denied any prior knowledge of similar Teague boorish behavior. Kaler’s initial reaction that Teague’s conduct was an alcohol induced lapse of judgement, I suspect was an honestly held view that was exploded when Amelia Rayno came forward and revealed her own experience with Teague. Kaler apologized for his initial reaction, he accepted Teague’s resignation (which he probably asked for), and he launched an investigation of possible remaining problems. So I still believe that with respect to that issue, Kaler has acted quickly and responsibility, unless other evidence comes to light as a result of the pending dual tract AD investigation or otherwise.
What I think you are raising, though, is the broader question of Title IX compliance, and/or gender employment discrimination. Sadly, Teague’s apparent attitude towards woman may have affected his judgement in these regards as well, but these are different issues and should, in my opinion, be judged separately. I bring to these issues the perspective of one who has been an avid Gopher fan for over 65 years. I still recall the days when Minnesota had one of the best football programs in the country and I morn the conscious decision made in the 60s to de-emphasize the program. I think our revenue sports have been under-funded since that time. It is for that reason that I celebrated the hiring of first Kaler and then Teague because I believed they were committed to rebuilding our revenue sports. At the same time, I truly value our women’s sports programs, especially basketball, hockey, volleyball and soccer. I’ve downloaded the 2015-2016 schedules for these sports and will watch as many of the contests as I can. I don’t want the resurrection of football and the improvement of men’s basketball to occur at the expense of those programs, but I strongly believe that returning football and upgrading men’s basketball to national prominence, as the chief revenue generators, will benefit all of our sports programs, revenue and non-revenue.
I frankly have had some doubts re the credibility of the Title IX complaint filed against the University late last year. Claimed drops in woman participation rates, for example, seem implausible in the absence of a dropped program or two, and there is the fact that overall, our woman’s programs have been quite successful. What I suspected was that the new emphasis on revenue sports with Teague’s hiring disrupted a culture under Maturi that had favored the non-revenue sports. I also came to suspect that the complaint was intended as a chip in an internal department fight as to where to locate the new track and field facilities. While I still believe that this might be true, what, if any, effect Teague’s apparent attitude towards woman has had on Title IX compliance and gender employment issues are matters that need to be addressed, and I think will be addressed in the pending investigations.
With respect to Kaler’s role in all of this, I agree that the hiring of Teague was an unfortunate mistake, that ultimately he is responsible for that mistake, and that it’s up to him to deal with it. Having said that, I still believe, based on what we know thus far, that the process he used to make the Teague hire seemed reasonable at the time to identify a well-qualified candidate and to vet that candidate’s back ground. In my view, the breakdown of that process was the failure of the search firm to uncover Teague’s role in the VCU gender employment discrimination claim, which Teague concealed, and his basic attitude towards woman. Obviously, Kaler needs do what he can to make sure that this doesn’t happen again. It probably means at a minimum not using the same search firm, if he decides to use a search firm at all.
I personally have not lost confidence in Kaler. I think the dual track investigation is the right thing to do. I will reserve further judgement until we know more about the hiring process and the investigation. If there are problems, let’s fix them, but in the end I hope that the Athletic Department emerges as a strong and healthy organization. In the meantime, I think this is a time for all of us Gopher fans to rally around Kaler and support his efforts. That most particularly includes getting the new sports facilities built.

Top Bottom