Shooter: Norwood Teague may be resigning today

It is very difficult to understand what racism is until you are actually a victim of it. Many years ago, I had a female white classmate who had gone to Japan in a dance team. She had such a terrible time because she was constantly being discriminated.
A few years later, when I was working at Purdue, I asked my coworker what he thought of Ali. He said that Ali was a good boxer. I asked him several times if he was serious. He said yes. I didn't expect anything more from a white guy in Mid-West. Ali was not just a boxer. Ali was a movement. He gave up his title to protest a war that his people were getting killed. How many of you did that when white soldiers were being killed in Iraq or Afghanistan? I am not making a political point here. Just want to let you know that racism exits even in you neighborhood. You just don't know it.

It is very difficult to understand what racism is until you are actually a victim of it. Many years ago, I had a female white classmate who had gone to Japan in a dance team. She had such a terrible time because she was constantly being discriminated.
A few years later, when I was working at Purdue, I asked my coworker what he thought of Ali. He said that Ali was a good boxer. I asked him several times if he was serious. He said yes. I didn't expect anything more from a white guy in Mid-West. Ali was not just a boxer. Ali was a movement. He gave up his title to protest a war that his people were getting killed. How many of you did that when white soldiers were being killed in Iraq or Afghanistan? I am not making a political point here. Just want to let you know that racism exits even in you neighborhood. You just don't know it.

I see you edited this post at 9:33am...but it needs more. Go after it! :cool:

wait!what?

Super. What does that have to do with this?

LOL, I am not a good writer. My point here is that NT could have been racist but we just don't know. Blindly rejecting other people's opinion is not right either. The coach that he fired was not just a coach. He was also a movement. I don't expect you to understand it either as I didn't with my coworker in Indiana.

He raised so much money for poor kids even here at MN. There has not been a single violation of rules against him. He has always done it in a right way. Firing him like that was not the best way. He could have asked him to retire in a year or two. I often wondered how he would reacted if he ran into NT in PR. I know it would have been with a lot of class.

He raised so much money for poor kids even here at MN. There has not been a single violation of rules against him. He has always done it in a right way. Firing him like that was not the best way. He could have asked him to retire in a year or two.

I noticed no where in that was success on the basketball court mentioned.

Bobby Bowden gets to retire in a year or two. Frank Beamer gets to retire in a year or two. Joe Paterno pre-scandal gets to retire in a year or two. Jim Boeheim gets to retire in a year or two. Coach K gets to retire in a year or two.

Not Tubby 'never finished above .500 in the Big Ten' Smith.

Give me a break.

could we rename this thread please.

LOL, I am not a good writer. My point here is that NT could have been racist but we just don't know. Blindly rejecting other people's opinion is not right either. The coach that he fired was not just a coach. He was also a movement. I don't expect you to understand it either as I didn't with my coworker in Indiana.

He raised so much money for poor kids even here at MN. There has not been a single violation of rules against him. He has always done it in a right way. Firing him like that was not the best way. He could have asked him to retire in a year or two. I often wondered how he would reacted if he ran into NT in PR. I know it would have been with a lot of class.

I don't think anyone has ever disputed that Tubby is a good guy and does it the right way and by all accounts he is well liked in the college basketball world, I believe he's the president of the coaches association and hence all the backlash when he was fired. Also as someone who supported Tubby as I do every gopher coach to the end I can't say I was surprised when he was fired. His last three teams didn't perform up to par, granted a couple of those teams went through key injuries and player defections where it's debatable who was at fault for some of those, but the end result was there was plenty of heat from boosters. Combine all of that with a new AD who considered himself a basketball expert and was going to make his mark the first chance he got and a not so promising outlook for the 2013-14 season and I am sure some off the record "talks" with the prospects of the big three committing to Tubby's program I am sure all played a role into his firing. I thought he should've gotten one more year myself, but he hasn't exactly proven anyone wrong at Texas Tech either and if they have a couple more crappy seasons my guess is they'll give him a pink slip as well. In college athletics, the people who control your employment judge you on results, not by how great of guy you're, if the latter were the case Tubby would still be at Kentucky.

Then, what was accomplished since his departure. Richard is facing the same issues as the former coach. By now, I hope that some you would realize that something else had to change?

Then, what was accomplished since his departure. Richard is facing the same issues as the former coach. By now, I hope that some you would realize that something else had to change?

Nothing, Richard hasn't proven squat either, but he's only been here two years and will get at least two more years to pprove his worth, as he now has a roster of completely his own players, I know Tubby recruited Buggs, but every game Buggs has played has been under Pitino, so will see if he can put a roster together that can play the way he wants to play. I could turn this argument around and say what have any of the coaches down since Clem Haskins was dismissed. No matter who you're and what you accomplished prior you only get so many years to build a winning program. I personally think every coach should get four years, Monson got 7.5, Tubby got 6 Pitino will get at least 4.

If I have read this correctly and I may not have - your premise is if a white guy in the Mid-West if asked what they thought of individuals such as Ali and Tubby Smith and responded with "was a good boxer" and "is a good coach" that person is being racist without knowing it?

Man, are you a philosophy major? This is a really good question. My answer is no.

You may want to pause and reevaluate your conclusions. No way is Pitino facing the same issues. I don't want to rehash the same old arguments about Tubby vs. Pitino.

Have you ever thought that no matter who the BB coach was, his days were number when NT became AD? The ego of NT and his self proclaimed expertise in Basketball almost guaranteed that he was going to make his mark on the program. The only way that wasn't going to happen was if the team was tearing up the B1G. If fact, you could argue that firing a legend and future hall of fame coach such as Tubby would be even more positive for his reputation. I think the way Tubby was treated had less to do with his age or race and more to do with the ego of the AD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Many people who can't make it in Minnesota move to North Carolina.

Top Bottom