Norwood Teague resigns amind sexual harassment allegations

Well I didn't expect to wake up to this news today. I don't mean to distract from what happened but are there any good candidates out there for the job?

Wow is right. At least Norwood & the University seemed to be handling it appropriately. Are those Twitter photos from today or are they stock photos?

An absolute disaster for the fundraising. Lou Nanne should be appointed as an interim director until the facilities are built. There has to be a voodoo curse on that place.

Please please please let the permanent replacement be someone with a football background. No offense to Beth Goetz, I know nothing about her. But her experience at Butler isn't exactly going to provide her with the ability to navigate the shark waters of D-1 football.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I don't see how being an "academic" is a bad thing when your primary job is to run an academic institution. Kaler has bigger priorities than athletics, as it should be.

Being an idiot academic is the bad thing. The guy is just out of touch with the student body and the expectations the university should have in athletics. The U has been bad for over a decade in all sports, when we should be realistically contending in the Big 10.. Sure, Minnesota doesn't have the tradition or the infrastructure like the Ohio States and Wisconsins, but that is parshly due to the fact that Kaler has not facilitated our arms race against other programs. Instead, he brought in an AD who sexually harassed school employees.

If GMs in the NFL take the blame for the failures of a coach he hired, then Kaler must be held responsible for Teague and Maturi.

Most big time universities don't deal with Title 9 allegations, ADs resigning in shame.

I could also be biased because for my graduation ceremony in the spring of '13, Kaler had the audacity to be our graduation speaker. Most schools and programs get celebrities, successful alums who have made it outside of academia, but, no, Kaler thinks so highly of himself, and considers so little of his student body, that he found it appropriate to give us a send off. If that isn't a sign of someone out of touch with reality, the only thing that would top that is hiring and trusting a man with a debilitating alcohol problem

Are you serious right now? There was no previous incidents or he wouldn't have had a job before his stop here. Kaler has done nothing but support the athletic department in my eyes. Or are you just spit-balling to deflect the blame on someone else?!
What a bizarre take. Have you ever heard of personal responsibility? This is on Teague, nobody else.

Man, every time I think things are really going in the right direction, something just takes us down. I really, really hope this is just a temporary set back. It's really hard not to think the worst will happen (facilities will be put on hold and Kill will leave). Probably a big overreaction by me, but being a MN fan it is hard to not think like that.

If what has been said is true though, good riddance.

An absolute disaster for the fundraising. Lou Nanne should be appointed as an interim director until the facilities are built. There has to be a voodoo curse on that place.
It's a problem but not a disaster, Lou Nanne's profile and responsibilities need to be formally elevated, but Interim AD isn't the answer. The Interim AD, needs to be an insider familiar with the day to day operations, that's what was done.

You are out of touch with reality. First, celebs cost money and just because you see Will Ferrell speaking at a ceremony doesn't mean every school gets that. And he doesn't appoint himself, he would be asked by the dean of your college or someone else from your college.

Sorry to see him go, but given the facts, there really wasn't any other option.

Who's to say Teague didn't get 'frustrated' with some people in the non-revenue sports that are anti-FB and men's BB; out of anger sent a text with sexual insults?

Just throwing out questions....

This is really sad........damn!

I'd laugh if the new AD comes in, looks at the football prices and says "Why are these so high when we can't even sell out?"

Will this hurt the chances of getting Shaka Smart?

Who's to say Teague didn't get 'frustrated' with some people in the non-revenue sports that are anti-FB and men's BB; out of anger sent a text with sexual insults?

Just throwing out questions....

This is really sad........damn!

Because he admitted he did it out of a drunken stupor, not because of anger.

Well I didn't expect to wake up to this news today. I don't mean to distract from what happened but are there any good candidates out there for the job?

What about Phil Esten?......or did he not leave on good terms?

What about Phil Esten?......or did he not leave on good terms?

Hired as Deputy Director of Athletics and Chief Operating Officer in October 2014 at Penn State. He moved from the athletic department here to the alumni association. I think he applied for AD here and got passed over and went to Cal. May be wrong.

You are out of touch with reality. First, celebs cost money and just because you see Will Ferrell speaking at a ceremony doesn't mean every school gets that. And he doesn't appoint himself, he would be asked by the dean of your college or someone else from your college.
I also said successful alums not working in academia. Again, Kaler obstensibly makes executive decisions for the university, including the hiring of the AD, if you don't realize that Kaler has to be held accountable for the hire, then you are the one out of touch with reality.

3 months from now when Kaler is making excuses for the delay of the new facilities, because of the setbacks Teague caused us, then I'm sure you'll finally understand that our Athletic Department isn't the only faction of the university that is letting Gophers fans down.

For now, I really don't see this as disastrous. This appears to be an isolated incident and not endemic of the AD or University (or even Norwood). The admin & Norwood have handled it appropriately so far.

Ironic that this comes out on International Beer Day.

Mostly, I hope that Mr. Teague is able to learn from his mistake and become a better person because of it. Whenever the leader of an organization falls, due to impropriety, it is a blow to the organization. However, this is an opportunity for new leaders to step up and guide the athletics department at the U of MN. I think I would be more concerned if Jerry Kill resigned because the department has become a mess. Hopefully the inner working of the department is established despite the resignation of Mr. Teague.

It goes without saying but how unfortunate for Mr. Teague and those who are close to him. I hope
he receives the help he needs. #awful

Top Bottom