PiPress: Replacing David Cobb looks like a three-man job

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Kill doesn't seem concerned about replacing Cobb's single-season school-record 1,626 rushing yards from last season.

Instead of one tailback carrying the load this fall, the Gophers will open practice Friday with at least three backs with breakout potential: senior Rodrick Williams Jr., redshirt sophomore Berkley Edwards and redshirt freshman Rodney Smith.

"I think it's too early to tell, but I think we'll play probably three backs early," Kill said at Tuesday's introductory fall camp news conference. "With those three backs early, we'll take the one that gives us the most. One may be a third-down back, but Rodrick had a great spring."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_28586094/gophers-football-replacing-david-cobb-looks-like-three

Go Gophers!!

Rodrick will get every chance to succeed, and I hope he does. The way I see it playing out, like many of us, is Rodney Smith taking over the majority of the carries if Rodrick isn't producing at a high clip or doesn't have the stamina.

I really like the look of Brooks as the next back after Rodney, if Jones stays at receiver. He looks to have amazing toughness, size and speed combination that this staff loves. Personally I don't know that Johannesson has the wiggle or athleticism necessary to be a big time feature back ("top speed" notwithstanding), but we'll see if he can prove me wrong and I hope he does. I'm intrigued by all of these guys, wonder how Femi-Cole will do. It's going to be really fun to watch it unfold.

Rodrick will get every chance to succeed, and I hope he does. The way I see it playing out, like many of us, is Rodney Smith taking over the majority of the carries if Rodrick isn't producing at a high clip or doesn't have the stamina.

I wasn't aware of any stamina issues with Williams. You do know he lost 20lbs., right?

Top Bottom