WCCO: Gophers To Use Minneapolis Native Jeff Jones As Receiver

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per WCCO:

Minnesota will use prized recruit Jeff Jones as a wide receiver to start his first season on the field with the team.

Coach Jerry Kill confirmed Tuesday at his season-opening news conference that Jones has been switched from running back to wide receiver for now. Senior Rodney Williams, sophomore Berkley Edwards and freshman Rodney Smith are the leading candidates to replace the departed David Cobb.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/08/04/gophers-to-use-minneapolis-native-jeff-jones-as-receiver/

Go Gophers!!

An excellent RB who may have a break out year himself!

RostovGold

I selfishly want him to play RB, but if he can help the team right now at WR then I'm for it.

I am a bit nervous as it doesn't smell right to me that the biggest running back recruit in years at the "U" has already been moved to WR, while a different Freshman RB is expected to compete for carries this season.

I am a bit nervous as it doesn't smell right to me that the biggest running back recruit in years at the "U" has already been moved to WR, while a different Freshman RB is expected to compete for carries this season.

Jones has a unique skill set to catch the ball in space, something not all RB's can do with ease. Frankly he's probably more valuable as a WR to this team than a RB. I think Roderick all by himself could smash 1000 yards out and be effective.
If he plays all year as a WR with success, imagine how they could use him at RB with motions and shifts.
Or maybe Rodney Smith is just that good. We'll find out soon enough.

getting most out of our roster any way we can is the way I look at it.

Jones has a unique skill set to catch the ball in space, something not all RB's can do with ease. Frankly he's probably more valuable as a WR to this team than a RB. I think Roderick all by himself could smash 1000 yards out and be effective.
If he plays all year as a WR with success, imagine how they could use him at RB with motions and shifts.
<b>Or maybe Rodney Smith is just that good. We'll find out soon enough</b>.

I have heard enough rumblings within the program to believe this sis true.

..or maybe this is what is called "gamesmanship".

Two words, jet sweep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two words, jet sweep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I knew for sure, but didn't Wisconsin do the same kind of thing with Melvin Gordon? The backfield was kind of full so they started playing him in the slot to get him on the field? Anyone remember?

I wish I knew for sure, but didn't Wisconsin do the same kind of thing with Melvin Gordon? The backfield was kind of full so they started playing him in the slot to get him on the field? Anyone remember?

Yes, this happened when James White was still there.

I don't think people should be too worried about this move, especially this year. As others have stated before, he is a very good receiver and did play WR a good amount in HS. This is a great way to get him on the field and hopefully do some different things with him (jet sweeps, screens, etc). Get him in space where he can do a lot of damage. I don't think this means it is a permanent move. It could be in the end, but I doubt the coaches know for sure at this point.

I hope Kill and staff get really creative with how they use JJ. Line him up in the slot, move him out wide, in the backfield, put him in motion, just make him a matchup headache by forcing linebackers or even safeties to cover him in space. The Gophers' version of Randall Cobb. Those are head-to-heads we'll win all day long.

I realize this is not too profound, but I love the move of Jeff Jones to receiver for one main reason: the coaching staff must REALLY like the combination of Roderick Williams and Rodney Smith.

Hopefully Rodney Smith is just that good. I don't see how Jones is MORE VALUABLE as a WR than a RB in Kill's offense, which is very run heavy. Not that he doesn't have any value, getting him on the field should be a pretty big goal considering the type of playmaker everyone is saying that he is.

You guys are missing the point! He has to be a RB or a WR. They can't play HIM at both! It's impossible!

Hopefully Rodney Smith is just that good. I don't see how Jones is MORE VALUABLE as a WR than a RB in Kill's offense, which is very run heavy. Not that he doesn't have any value, getting him on the field should be a pretty big goal considering the type of playmaker everyone is saying that he is.

He would be more valuable at WR if, in the coaching staff's opinion, Rodney Smith is currently a better RB than Jones. I think people are having trouble believing that this is possible because Jones is a local kid and was 4-star rated.

Here are Jeff Jone's High School Stats. Notice his production increase when they started throwing to him. I think his coach had the same thing in mind as Kill in wanting to get the ball in his hands and get him out in space. He's a playmaker.

Stats
YEAR...RUATT....RUYD...RUTD...REC...RECYD...RECTD..TOTYD
2010.....138.......809.........9 - - -

I really wouldn't assume anything about the staff's opinion of Smith vs. Jones. Because of Jones versatility, it really doesn't have to come down to that. The staff has been very open about being impressed with Smith. If you have a playmaker that is capable of moving around on offense, it's an absolute luxury. The more playmakers, the better. My guess is that the staff wants to get Jones 15-20ish snaps a game and that can only happen if he lines up in the slot as well.

I also wouldn't look at this the same way WI used Gordon. Gordon was really still just a RB. He lined up in the slot and would go in motion (jet sweep or fake the jet sweep). This works to pop big plays on the outside and is also stops defenses from crashing their ends/olbs. Gordon wasn't really a receiver. I expect Jones to be more of a Percy Harvin type (not ability but in style). He'll catch the ball, he'll run routes, he'll run bubble screens and he'll run those jet sweeps.

To me the reason they are moving him is that we need a threat in the slot who is quick, can change directions and is tough enough to hold on to the ball when hit by a LB or Safety. Jones has incredible ability to change directions, has good hands and body flexibility, which the other RBs don't have as much because they are "wired tight" as Cal Stoll used to say (which is fine at RB) and is big and strong. He should be able to hold on to short passes near the LOS and break tackles or evade them better than the 6'3+" long striders we have been recruiting as wideouts.
When the tall guys get hit near the LOS by LBs and Safeties loose balls are a frequent result, at least that is my observation.
I do think Jones does have the skills most like Cobb plus more elusiveness, but he is also the guy most likely to play well at slot/WR.
Additionally, at one point JK said he thought they could line him up in the slot and shift him to RB during a play and create a mismatch against the defense the opposing team has lined up in.

I have no idea why people are worked up about this, as if he is not good enough to play RB. I look at him as a Percy Harvin type of player and think the coaches see we are fine at RB, but really need help getting more explosive plays out of our WR position. Nice problem to have.

I think it's a great idea. Put as many playmaker on the field as possible....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I really wouldn't assume anything about the staff's opinion of Smith vs. Jones. Because of Jones versatility, it really doesn't have to come down to that. The staff has been very open about being impressed with Smith. If you have a playmaker that is capable of moving around on offense, it's an absolute luxury. The more playmakers, the better. My guess is that the staff wants to get Jones 15-20ish snaps a game and that can only happen if he lines up in the slot as well.

I also wouldn't look at this the same way WI used Gordon. Gordon was really still just a RB. He lined up in the slot and would go in motion (jet sweep or fake the jet sweep). This works to pop big plays on the outside and is also stops defenses from crashing their ends/olbs. Gordon wasn't really a receiver. I expect Jones to be more of a Percy Harvin type (not ability but in style). He'll catch the ball, he'll run routes, he'll run bubble screens and he'll run those jet sweeps.

Thanks Bob for bringing your knowledge and insight to what appears to be a confusing or difficult subject here at the Gopher Hole. It is about getting the play makers on the field who will give you best chance of winning the game.

Top Bottom