Daquein McNeil Pleads Guilty In Assault Case

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per WCCO:

A former University of Minnesota basketball player reached a plea deal in court Monday after being accused of assaulting his girlfriend last November.

Daquein McNeil, a sophomore with the Gophers at the time of the incident, pleaded guilty to third-degree assault in Hennepin County Court on Monday. He was also facing a charge of domestic assault by strangulation, but that charge will be dismissed.

McNeil will receive a stay of imposition, three years of probation and must receive domestic abuse counseling. He is currently in jail, but will be released from custody at his sentencing, which is scheduled for Aug. 31.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/...ketball-player-pleads-guilty-in-assault-case/

Go Gophers!!

per WCCO:

A former University of Minnesota basketball player reached a plea deal in court Monday after being accused of assaulting his girlfriend last November.

Daquein McNeil, a sophomore with the Gophers at the time of the incident, pleaded guilty to third-degree assault in Hennepin County Court on Monday. He was also facing a charge of domestic assault by strangulation, but that charge will be dismissed.

McNeil will receive a stay of imposition, three years of probation and must receive domestic abuse counseling. He is currently in jail, but will be released from custody at his sentencing, which is scheduled for Aug. 31.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/...ketball-player-pleads-guilty-in-assault-case/

Go Gophers!!

Wow, that is a sweetheart deal for what he was accused of. He should thank his lucky stars.

Amazing what people can do to other people and spend so little time in the clink. Agree, he got off easy.

Wow, that is a sweetheart deal for what he was accused of. He should thank his lucky stars.

Agreed. Hopefully he learns a lesson and she is satisfied with the result. And even more so hopefully she is safe and doesn't have to endure anything like this again.

Any chance we can get him a one-way bus ticket back to Baltimre asap? :confused:

Hopefully Mr. McNeil learns from this. I would have liked to see some sort of restitution on his part beyond having to go to counseling. I'm not sure what that restitution should be, but the victim should have some say in what sort of work program Mr. McNeil should serve.

In any case, I hope he's been humbled and he changes the direction of his path to something that is positive.

I think the punishment in total, legal and complete life disruption has been enough if he is serious about getting his life straightened out. If he is not, there probably is not enough punishment they could give him to get him straightened out.
I hope he gets some kind of help, losing it like he did shows a complete melt down of perspective and a big problem in controlling violence against people.

Prosecutors intentionally accuse at levels higher than what they can prove to force plea deals on people who don't have great representation.

It saves costs and looks good to the public.

Top Bottom