Big Ten coaches oppose 9-game league schedule, Northwestern coach says

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FoxSports:

On Friday, it was revealed that the Big Ten will make some changes to its football schedule starting with the 2016 season. The new agreement means schools will play at least one game against a Power Five program outside the conference and no longer schedule games against teams from the FCS subdivision.

The final difference is that the league will go to a nine-game conference schedule. According to Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald, the move was not supported by the Big Ten's 14 head coaches.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...tzgerald-nine-game-conference-schedule-080115

Go Gophers!!

Understandable. Didn't the SEC have only a couple of Coaches that wanted that 9 game Conference Schedule? Only Nick Saban at Alabama was vocal about wanting it. Not very surprising huh? Trading a very probably win, and a sure Home game for a possible loss and road game will never be very popular for a head coach.

I am not a big fan of 9 conf games either. Especially with the mandate to schedule 1 power conference team each season. My personal preference would simply be leaving the conf schedule at 8 games and keeping the rule to make one of the four non-con games a power 5.

I am a little worried that perennial power 5 doormats will be getting a LOT of requests in upcoming years as teams try to balance the growth to 9 conf games. The September cupcake run kept teams healthy and allowed coaches to play younger players for the upcoming grind of the conf season.

Just personal preference on my part. I don't take issue with the September beat downs like a lot of fans do.

The thing with the Power 5 rule is marquee teams opting to play on semi-neutral fields. Why isn't this Alabama/Wisconsin game in Alabama?

Bronco.jpg

Butts in the seats, season ticket holders don't care for cupcakes, they want red meat.

The thing with the Power 5 rule is marquee teams opting to play on semi-neutral fields. Why isn't this Alabama/Wisconsin game in Alabama?

Because they get paid to bring their fan bases to Jerry World.

Because this way both teams get some of the ticket revenue I assume.

Going to make for some interesting scheduling guidelines given the odd-number of conference games.

Would have to look at things like not having "five away games two years in a row", right?

Going to make for some interesting scheduling guidelines given the odd-number of conference games.

Would have to look at things like not having "five away games two years in a row", right?

Correct, that's the way it is structured currently. For example, 2016 we have four home games (Iowa, Rutgers, Purdue, Northwestern), 2017 we have five (Maryland, MSU, Illinois, Nebraska, Wisconsin), 2018 we have four (Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern) and 2019 we have five (Illinois, Nebraska, Maryland, PSU, Wisconsin)

They don't want because they want to play for ncaa championships . U don't play for championships if u have losses on your schedule

I am sure Nebraska won't know what to do...no FCS teams and four fluff games to help them make a bowl!

This year is the last Michigan home game until at least 2020? Dang.

Top Bottom