The Axe- What are we doing wrong?

'Cause the 3 teams we mentioned aren't any better programs than Minnesota.

Leaving out how programs are currently trending, Iowa and Northwestern were superior programs for most of the current 11-year losing streak to the Badgers (2004-14).

That's all true but again my question is...why have we gone a dozen years without at least having one team that upset a slightly better Wisconsin team? Is it not having clutch players? coaching mistakes? just bad luck? 'Cause the 3 teams we mentioned aren't any better programs than Minnesota.

It is clear that your goal of being here is to point out that Minnesota hasn't beaten Wisconsin for a long time. Unfortunately, even though many people have responded to your agenda loaded questions/statements with well thought out rebuttals, you still continue to play your game. There can be only one explanation for your behavior, i.e, you are a troll. As some people have pointed out you are an idiot, but that just makes you an idiotic troll. Monitors is time for you to do your job and ban this obnoxious troll.

What's the story on the Beer Stein?

We get this clown posting every year.

Guten Abend! Yes, it's me again - Detlef Erlichmann of the famous Essen Haus in Madison, Wisconsin. What say you there, fuzzy-britches? Got your undies in a bunch, do ya? Someones got an Axe and they're not gonna share it with you, huh? Tough greasy grimey gopher guts sports fans as now you know how I feel.

For for those of you whom my reputation has yet to proceed me let me educate you on the facts: 1) some sleazy Gopher football fan absconded with my family's 5 liter stein from our establishment the night before the Go-4 and Badger football in Madison in 2006 2) said coward has yet to return the stein to this date 3) the spell my grandmother (a known witch in Bavaria, don't ya know!) cast upon the University of Minnesota football program is still in effect. Those facts are indisputable. Are you still going Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? If so you need a refresher and follow the links below.

http://thehole84398.yuku.com/topic/8423/t/I-am-back-to-bode-doom-and-gloom-to-all-Gopher-fans.html#.VHP8475RnHg

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?8852-Bring-us-back-The-Stein-or-continue-to-suffer-the-consequences

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?21187-I-am-back-sans-stein.-That-means-NO-GOPHER-VICTORY-THIS-WEEKEND

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?33625-Axe-Week!-That-means-ONE-THING!-Detlef-wants-his-stein-back!

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?40876-I-m-back-with-my-annual-heed&p=587621#post587621

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?50583-GIMME-THE-STEIN&p=801607#post801607

I've had the pleasure to host the past 3 Badger football coaches at the Essen Haus on many an occasion. Our lord and savior Barry was a man of fine values and tough discipline. A molder of men if you will. He also brought the Badger football program something your program has had nary of sniff of in over 50 years - A Rose Bowl victory. Scratch that, ahem. I meant VICTORIES. And for those victories how could I say "no" to him when he needed the occasional key to my office after an evening of beverages with the co-eds of Badgertown.

Bret on the other hand was a lout. Though he continued to win on the football field his tactics off the field were even boorish by this barkeep's standards. Glad he is now calling the Hogs - Pig Phoooey!

This brings us to our current leader, Sir Gary of Andersen. Though only on the job just over a score of months I've had the honor to meet with Coach Gary on numerous occasions in my establishment. He is a coach of high integrity who only wants what is best for his family, coaches and players. He also wants what is safest for those he loves most dearly. That is why I believe he has made the righteous decision to ban Paul Bunyan's Axe from the sanctity of Camp Randall Stadium this Saturday. Gary feels compelled to protect his team from the mongrelous heathens that play the plodding version of football at the University of Minnesota. Should, on the infinitesimal chance, your plucky program finally breakthrough your 10 game schneid and need to cart Paul Bunyan's Axe back to the coldest metropolitan area in the world Coach Gary will let you have it - albeit in a civil, obedient manner. A fine decision if I say so myself.

So as a business owner I'm going to take a page from Coach Gary and offer my own set of rules should my family's 5 liter stein (a family heirloom BTW) be returned by the invertebrate Gopher fan who stole it in the first place over 8 years ago. Return the stein intact and in person at the main bar and you will be offered a $10 gift certificate to the Essen Haus that can be used anytime from December 1, 2014 to November 25, 2016. Almost 2 whole years! No questions asked when the stein is returned. Win - Win for all those involved. Plus I will have my grandmother relinquish her devious curse on the University of Minnesota's football program which may be a boon to your squad come 2015.

Is there anything to it? Detlef seems to think so.

This piqued my interest, so I decided to do some digging through Sagarin ratings over the past 11 seasons. Since the 2004 season, here are the seasons when each team has had a better Sagarin rating than Wisconsin at the conclusion of the season:

Minnesota: None
Iowa: 2009, 2008, 2004
Northwestern: 2012, 2008
Illinois: 2007

And here are the seasons when these teams have beaten Wisconsin (games that would be considered an neutral-field upset by Sagarin ratings are shaded):

Iowa: 2009, 2008, 2005, 2004
Northwestern: 2014, 2009, 2005

So basically, Northwestern has had Wisconsin's number over the past decade, pulling out close upsets three times (6 points in 2014, 2 points in 2009, 3 points in 2005), while the rest of the games have pretty much gone as expected between these four teams and the Badgers.

One other thing that didn't help the streak, Wisconsin's worst years of the past decade were 2007 and 2008 which coincided with Tim Brewster.

That's all true but again my question is...why have we gone a dozen years without at least having one team that upset a slightly better Wisconsin team? Is it not having clutch players? coaching mistakes? just bad luck? 'Cause the 3 teams we mentioned aren't any better programs than Minnesota.

[said unenthusiastically] Let me guess. It's Mitch Leidner's fault...

This piqued my interest, so I decided to do some digging through Sagarin ratings over the past 11 seasons. Since the 2004 season, here are the seasons when each team has had a better Sagarin rating than Wisconsin at the conclusion of the season:

Iowa: 2009, 2008, 2004
Northwestern: 2012, 2008

And here are the seasons when these teams have beaten Wisconsin (games that would be considered an neutral-field upset by Sagarin ratings are shaded):

Iowa: 2009, 2008, 2005, 2004
Northwestern: 2014, 2009, 2005

So basically, Northwestern has had Wisconsin's number over the past decade, pulling out close upsets three times (6 points in 2014, 2 points in 2009, 3 points in 2005), while the rest of the games have pretty much gone as expected between these four teams and the Badgers.

One other thing that didn't help the streak, Wisconsin's worst years of the past decade were 2007 and 2008 which coincided with Tim Brewster.

Interesting stats. Thanks.

To be blunt and to re cover points already made. We haven't been as talented as Wisconsin except last year and in 05. We had our chance at an upset in 07 and 08 and even 09 was a close game on the scoreboard, but they just couldn't close the deal in clutch moments in those games. Also I would say it's fluent between who is better out of Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota, right now the cycles on our side. Were usually better than Northwestern, but they've had some better years than us in the past decade and a half. Illinois down right now, but with a competent coach that can recruit St. Louis and Chicago, Illinois a sleeping giant, so lets not pretend Minnesota's is head and shoulders above the schools they're not. We've been trending up since Kill got here, but when he started Wisconsin was at the peak of their success with Russel Wilson and we were a program that had hit rock bottom, losing to FCS schools and New Mexico State. It takes time to build a program and each year we've closed the gap to the point where we should expect to win the Axe this year

You keep using that word.

I don't think it means what you think it means.

udejjmpxftmtx5tzgpyi.jpg

"Inconceivable!"

You keep using that word.

I don't think it means what you think it means.

Maybe, but he spelling it differently than what I believe you must be thinking. Also, Ruppert is talking about Wisconsin and only god knows then what he is thinking about.

Well, Wisconsin's football program over the last 12 years has been significantly better than Minnesota's which translates to wins on the field. Stop trying to make it anything more than that.

'05 & '08 UW got lucky a couple times. The other years they were just better.

Get that foolish Gopher fan who stole the 5 liter stein from the Essen Haus in Madison all those years ago to give back the stein and the Gophers will have a chance to beat the Badgers. Until then, no wins.

We'd have 0 wins with stave

Get that foolish Gopher fan who stole the 5 liter stein from the Essen Haus in Madison all those years ago to give back the stein and the Gophers will have a chance to beat the Badgers. Until then, no wins.

Geez...how often do you check out this board that you would post in this thread?

How wonderfully insecure.

Top Bottom