STrib: 40,772 tickets sold so far for TCU game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

40,772 Tickets sold to date for season opener against TCU.

32,236 Tickets sold at this time last year for opener against Eastern Illinois.

32,520 Total season tickets sold this year, including 3,634 student season tickets.

88 Percent of season-ticket packages renewed from last year, despite price increases.

http://www.startribune.com/chart-gophers-ticket-sales-by-the-numbers/320398862/

Go Gophers!!

Am I doing the math here correctly, we had 32,236 tickets sold last year, but 32,520 season ticket sold. That means even with 88% renewal, we still have more Season Ticket Holders than last year?

Is anyone else a bit perturbed this hasn't sold out? Coming off our biggest year in decades and playing the #2 team in the country on prime time.

"Might have to close up the cabin."
"It could rain."
"The traffic is going to be terrible. It's a night game."
"I bet the State Fair is going on. Probably, right?"
"It might be too hot."
"It might be too cold."
"I'll just watch the first half on TV. They'll probably lose anyway."

/End Rant

I was thinking of flying up for the game and none of my friends were into going. They all plan on watching the game but with the state fair, labor day weekend, last weekend of summer, getting ready for school, et al they just didn't want to be out til midnight on that Thursday.

I am hoping they ramp up the student action and get all the freshman at the game and just stack the student section.

Need 50k plus at this game!

Is anyone else a bit perturbed this hasn't sold out? Coming off our biggest year in decades and playing the #2 team in the country on prime time.

"It could rain."
"It might be too hot."
"It might be too cold."

/End Rant

I am not perturbed YET. There are a lot of excuses such as people being busy during the summer etc. I don't care about what, why, or when as long as it gets sold out before kickoff.

The best thing about the Thursday night games is that it is the best way to kick off a long last weekend of summer. I know a lot of people who take Friday off and head to the cabin Friday morning. What could be better?

Also, biggest hike in student ticket sales is end of August when everyone is getting back to campus.

I'm not particularly worried, I don't think those numbers include TCU's allotment, and it's a month before the game.

The best thing about the Thursday night games is that it is the best way to kick off a long last weekend of summer. I know a lot of people who take Friday off and head to the cabin Friday morning. What could be better?

Also, biggest hike in student ticket sales is end of August when everyone is getting back to campus.

Since this run of Thursday night home openers began, I take Thursday and Friday off. Tailgate as early as possible Thursday night with no worries of having to work Friday. Then, up to the cabin on Friday or early Saturday depending on HS football demands.

Between now and game time, there are...

...a lot of Gopher football articles to be written
...a lot of water cooler conversations to be had about "those Gophers" being improved
...a lot of last minute schedules to become clear for procrastinators
...a lot of media reminders about how long it has been since since the Gophers have had a non-con game at home with this much anticipation
...more season ticket sales to be sold
...more student ticket packages to be sold
...possibilities of all freshmen getting tickets for free, again?

I think this will all combine to create a sellout or near sellout.

It would be sad if it didn't sell out. I used to pay waaaaay too much attention to ticket sales and get uptight when supposedly good games didn't sell out. But, those days are over now that the "U" has decided to raise prices as drastically as they have. If they are going to jack up prices that far over three short years in a stadium that rarely sold out in the past, it tells me they are not that concerned about sellouts. Why should I be?

"It could rain."
"It might be too hot."
"It might be too cold."

/End Rant

Our ass kicking at their place last year might have something to do with it. I'll be there though!

The Twins can't sell out Target Field for July weekend games against the Yankees while they chasing a playoff spot. The one thing that's a true fact about 95% of Minnesota fans, is they are buy high, sell low when it comes to sports. They wait until after the event before they throw their support behind a team; the truth is the Gophers haven't beat a highly ranked team under Jerry Kill yet; I bet if they had beat TCU, Ohio State, Mizzou, and especially Wisconsin last year this would be a done deal.

It's stupid how fair-weather we are, but its in our DNA i suppose to be passive until we are confident in the outcome. It will be damn close to a sellout, but unfortunately we've been dealt a fan base that hasn't been taught how to be a fan. Teach your kids right!! The joy in winning is significantly higher when you've stuck through the pain.

Comparison to the last few years; we're basically right on track. I would be surprised if the season ticket numbers for total and student didn't surpass 2014.

Total season tickets
As of 8/1/2015: 32,520 season tickets sold
As of 8/26/2014: 33,385
2013: 33,284

Student season tickets
As of 8/1/2015: 3,634
As of 8/26/2014: 5,043
2013: 4,975

Source: http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_26408774/gophers-football-is-hotter-ticket

I think people are just starting to get back into a football mindset. Don't think we'll have any problem getting the TCU game over 49,000 attendance.

"It could rain."
"It might be too hot."
"It might be too cold."

/End Rant

I agree it makes no sense, but I predicted this a long time ago. State Fair is only part of it. Ever since we started the TH night opener people have bitched and bitched about it being hard to get there from work, don't want to stay out late on a weeknight, parking issues on campus/weeknight, etc. I have my tix, but am not shocked at all that we won't sell this game out.

I know some people might not be in this position, but how hard is it to take a day off of work to enjoy an experience like this? Are people really that big of work-a-holics that they wouldn't take half a day Thursday and all day Friday off to enjoy a longer Labor Day weekend? People can keep making excuses for themselves and miss out on a great night of football or sack up, take some PTO and join us in the tailgate lots/bars to kick off what is sure to be an exciting ride of College Football.
Personally, I'm taking Wed, Thurs, Fri off, flying my family to MN from California, staying at the Commons so I don't have to worry about parking/traffic/DUI and getting this Maroon and Gold party on! This will be my son's first gopher game (he will be 4 months old) and I want to make it a very memorable experience so he can tell his friends at the park when he gets back how awesome Goldy is and that he was "There" that cool September night when the Golden Gophers took down the mighty Horned Frogs of TCU.

I know some people might not be in this position, but how hard is it to take a day off of work to enjoy an experience like this? Are people really that big of work-a-holics that they wouldn't take half a day Thursday and all day Friday off to enjoy a longer Labor Day weekend? People can keep making excuses for themselves and miss out on a great night of football or sack up, take some PTO and join us in the tailgate lots/bars to kick off what is sure to be an exciting ride of College Football.

I admit, I tend to like to save the vacation for family events. Admittedly this year is especially tough for time off - I get three weeks of vacation, spent one week for my daughter's birth in February, another week this summer for the family reunion, and will be using a couple days to go to my father-in-law's military burial in October. That leaves me with three days to take the rest of the year which I'm saving for the holidays. Gopher football is awesome and I love to spend the day taking it in, but family comes first and with limited time available sometime trade-offs have to be made.

Personally, I'm taking Wed, Thurs, Fri off, flying my family to MN from California, staying at the Commons so I don't have to worry about parking/traffic/DUI and getting this Maroon and Gold party on! This will be my son's first gopher game (he will be 4 months old) and I want to make it a very memorable experience so he can tell his friends at the park when he gets back how awesome Goldy is and that he was "There" that cool September night when the Golden Gophers took down the mighty Horned Frogs of TCU.

I'm taking Friday off for sure - my boss even suggested I take Thursday off. I think it's a "culture" sort of thing. You see that in larger cities (college takes a back seat), but things are changing. The media seems to be getting it and there's some buzz.

After reading your post, my chili is in the Blair's 16 million area.

scoville-scale-8.jpg

I agree it makes no sense, but I predicted this a long time ago. State Fair is only part of it. Ever since we started the TH night opener people have bitched and bitched about it being hard to get there from work, don't want to stay out late on a weeknight, parking issues on campus/weeknight, etc. I have my tix, but am not shocked at all that we won't sell this game out.

Quite true. And they bitch about 11:00 starts, not enough night games, not fostering a good tailgating environment(not allowing underage drinking), sit vs.stand, lousy media coverage, too many old people, not enough students, bad media coverage, drinking allowed in TCF, not enough places TO drink in TCF: you name it people around here bitch about it. It's practically the state sport! :cool:

The ticket sales numbers, which don't look that bad a month out, are probably affected by everything mentioned in the thread and one other thing.

The Twins, Vikings, Timberwolves and yes the Gophers have taught sports fans that's there is no urgency to get tickets ahead of gametime.

Even if you wait until the first pitch, tip-off or kick-off you can always get tickets. Bad seasons have been the major cause of it but as the cost of tickets and ticket fees keep going-up and with corporations are buying more and more of them, many of those tickets will always be available somewhere.

Maybe it's literally a "cost of doing business" now a days.

The game is a month away. They haven't even started promoting it yet. I bet it sells out.

You don't even have to take Friday off. People really can't function off of 6-7 hrs of sleep for one Friday. Give me a break.

That being said there's plenty of time left and I think it will sell out.

Logged in for the first time in awhile to say this:

2014 Eastern Illinois/Gophers attendance: 44,344
2014 sales as of now: 32,236
Sales between 8/1/2014 and 2014 opener: 44,344 - 32,236 = 12,108 tickets

Barring terrible weather, there's no way we don't keep up with 2014's ticket sales pace in August.... which means:

Current TCU ticket sales: 40,772 tickets + 12,000 more tickets sold = 52,772 .... >>>> 52,525 capacity.

I am 99.5% sure the attendance will exceed 50,000 people, and 95% sure it will sell out.

****2014 attendance source for the lazy: http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2014-2015/14game01.html

Zero chance the game is not a sell out by kickoff! The team has not even started to practice yet.

Even with there being 50 HS games that night, labor day, state fair etc. etc. the game will sell out!

Logged in for the first time in awhile to say this:

2014 Eastern Illinois/Gophers attendance: 44,344
2014 sales as of now: 32,236
Sales between 8/1/2014 and 2014 opener: 44,344 - 32,236 = 12,108 tickets

Barring terrible weather, there's no way we don't keep up with 2014's ticket sales pace in August.... which means:

Current TCU ticket sales: 40,772 tickets + 12,000 more tickets sold = 52,772 .... >>>> 52,525 capacity.

I am 99.5% sure the attendance will exceed 50,000 people, and 95% sure it will sell out.

****2014 attendance source for the lazy: http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2014-2015/14game01.html

Here we have an example of someone using logic to arrive at a prediction. Refreshing. Also good to hear we have a good shot at a sellout. On top of all the numbers provided here, TCU will sell more tickets than Eastern Illinois did last year.

This has been mentioned before but as part of Welcome Week each incoming freshman will get a free ticket to the TCU game. Our daughter will be there along with up to 5,400 other freshman. I will be there too, ready to see the Gophers win this game but no where near the student section!. Has this number of free freshman tickets been counted in as part of the 40,000?

Why is everyone so worried we are a month out from kickoff. I have not bought tickets yet. Me and a few friends are going. If we are 3 days from kickoff then talk about this.

MN Men have knock out spouses and we enjoy being with our perfect 10s. no shame in that.

I was thinking of flying up for the game and none of my friends were into going. They all plan on watching the game but with the state fair, labor day weekend, last weekend of summer, getting ready for school, et al they just didn't want to be out til midnight on that Thursday.

I am hoping they ramp up the student action and get all the freshman at the game and just stack the student section.

Need 50k plus at this game!

We have one of the worst attending student sections in the Big Ten. Free tickets will not fill that end of the stadium up. They are better off selling the upper deck student section tickets.

We need to show the rest of the country that we can sell out a 55,000 seat stadium or we will be viewed as a joke. I am tired of other schools selling out stadiums that are almost twice the size of ours, where tailgating is a religion, noisy fans are the norm, visitors are intimidated and fans know they are only going to get 6 to 7 home college games a year so they attend at whatever cost. Obviously, the folks here support Gopher football and I am not chiming at those that post here, but it takes those on this post to drag their neighbors, coworkers or families and make TCF Stadium intimidating for our visitors. My wife and I are bringing three close TCU friends from Houston for the game and I want to be proud of the fan support for our Gophs. Either way we are going to have great time. Go Gophers

Am I doing the math here correctly, we had 32,236 tickets sold last year, but 32,520 season ticket sold. That means even with 88% renewal, we still have more Season Ticket Holders than last year?

Um, yeah. We picked up more season ticket holders than we lost. Shocking. Doesn't quite meet the standards of Gopher Votary, et al. Bummer for them.

We need to show the rest of the country that we can sell out a 55,000 seat stadium or we will be viewed as a joke. I am tired of other schools selling out stadiums that are almost twice the size of ours, where tailgating is a religion, noisy fans are the norm, visitors are intimidated and fans know they are only going to get 6 to 7 home college games a year so they attend at whatever cost. Obviously, the folks here support Gopher football and I am not chiming at those that post here, but it takes those on this post to drag their neighbors, coworkers or families and make TCF Stadium intimidating for our visitors. My wife and I are bringing three close TCU friends from Houston for the game and I want to be proud of the fan support for our Gophs. Either way we are going to have great time. Go Gophers

I think we will get there. This is a complete culture change in progress. Its going to take awhile when there have been decades of losing or mediocrity. To get a fan base like the one you envision, it will take a lot of winning. As you have stated, it all begins with us to instill the culture in our friends, family and neighbors. I have four young boys and they wear Gophers apparel to elementary school in Iowa! They also get super excited to see Goldy the Gopher on tv or at games!

Top Bottom