New B1G schedule commitment: No FCS, at least one P5 game

Only a league like the B1G would need a policy like that. The arrogance is unbelievable. Stand up and make a schedule, what's so hard about that? Play good teams, what's so hard about that? Does Idaho have some openings?

Minny's not going to schedule NDSU anyway, it has nothing to do with that. But What kind of a league makes a policy like that?

Struggling with SIV again?

Only a league like the B1G would need a policy like that. The arrogance is unbelievable. Stand up and make a schedule, what's so hard about that? Play good teams, what's so hard about that? Does Idaho have some openings?

Minny's not going to schedule NDSU anyway, it has nothing to do with that. But What kind of a league makes a policy like that?

I'm not directing this at MN fans, but this is very unnecessary by your league. Maybe the BiG can force a few FCS teams to drop football. Nice work B1G.

And there we have it. You're upset at losing payday

Does ndsu still schedule dii school?

There's not enough good fcs schools. 99/100 it's a beat down

No upside

Serious question, how is it arrogant?

The 9 game league schedule, the no FCS is not only taking the lead in strength of schedule, but also holds the SEC up to the light. They are notorious for playing cupcakes in the middle of the season before their bye week. It gives them a sure win and two weeks to get ready for the next conference game. And when the end of the season comes and they all are 12-1 nobody looks at who they actually beat. Because of the SEC. If the Big 10 were to set up a round of non conference games with the PAC 12, it would truly put the SEC on an island.

Struggling with SIV again?

Yeah, I laughed at that comment. Makes no sense.

Why doesn't the B1G drop games vs the MAC too, maybe a few of those schools would then drop football and reduce competition for recruiting in the B1Gs back yard. Maybe the B1G should ban games vs the ACC too, or any other conference's team with losing by records to help the overall SOS. Maybe the B1G should kick out its worst team every year and bring in the best team from another conference. All these things would help to strengthen the almighty B1G. Who cares about the impact to college football, right?

The 9 game league schedule, the no FCS is not only taking the lead in strength of schedule, but also holds the SEC up to the light. They are notorious for playing cupcakes in the middle of the season before their bye week. It gives them a sure win and two weeks to get ready for the next conference game. And when the end of the season comes and they all are 12-1 nobody looks at who they actually beat. Because of the SEC. If the Big 10 were to set up a round of non conference games with the PAC 12, it would truly put the SEC on an island.

It's a playoff, and 1 team from the B1G will get in each year with 4 teams involved. 1 team, the conference champion, that's it, plain and simple. All this other Stuff is BS.

It's a playoff, and 1 team from the B1G will get in each year with 4 teams involved. 1 team, the conference champion, that's it, plain and simple. All this other Stuff is BS.

You didn't answer, does ndsu play dii teams?

Why doesn't the B1G drop games vs the MAC too, maybe a few of those schools would then drop football and reduce competition for recruiting in the B1Gs back yard. Maybe the B1G should ban games vs the ACC too, or any other conference's team with losing by records to help the overall SOS. Maybe the B1G should kick out its worst team every year and bring in the best team from another conference. All these things would help to strengthen the almighty B1G. Who cares about the impact to college football, right?

You think fcs steals recruits from b1g?

To be fair, ndsu won a recruiting battle with Purdue so he will respond with yes

Lol and we're the arrogant ones.

I'd gladly root for ndsu if their fan base wasn't so obnoxious. . We have pwo that had ndsu offers

Oh the MAC is next. When the 64(5) leave the NCAA and become their own conference, there will be no playing the MAC either. Just big games against big schools. No more little sisters of the poor. I, for one, can't wait for that day. I'm tired of the Dakota and directional schools.

You didn't answer, does ndsu play dii teams?

The NCAA now allows 1 DII game to count toward DI FCS playoff eligibility, so lots of FCS schools play DII games, including mvfc teams. The MVFC does not have a policy that says not to play DII games, only a ****** bag commissioner would do something like that when it's completely unnecessary.

As for NDSU, they would likely play a few nsic team if they had opening. With 16 teams, the nsic is booked. Lots of FCS teams play DIIs, it is allowed by rule. They actually view the DII games by how strong or weak the actual team is, imagine that!

If I ever get to a point where I go to other teams' message boards to complain about their conference's rule changes, please just shoot me.

If I ever get to a point where I go to other teams' message boards to complain about their conference's rule changes, please just shoot me.

Hahaha. No kidding. Herd does not do the ndsu fan base justice.

Any team that plays Weber State, Indiana State cannot complain about anything. If NDSU fans wanna play the Gophers, Wisconsin and other Power 5 Teams, maybe they should move up instead of beating the Sisters of the Poor every year. I do think scheduling should be left up to the schools, but there is no reason to play NDSU or like programs. It doesn't help for recruiting, strength of schedule. And speaking as a season ticket holder, it's a game that no alumni is interested in seeing.

For all of the fans applauding the move to a "tougher" schedule - be careful what you ask for. With a 9-game conference schedule and a mandatory game against a "power 5" team, there is no margin for error.

Let me be clear - I'm not saying the Gophs should play 3 cupcakes in non-conference, and I'm fine with seeing them play quality non-conf games. But, everyone needs to realize that this makes the road tougher if you want to see the Gophs playing in major bowl games, or getting into the national playoff picture. They simply cannot afford a "bad" loss or an off-day.

The NCAA now allows 1 DII game to count toward DI FCS playoff eligibility, so lots of FCS schools play DII games, including mvfc teams. The MVFC does not have a policy that says not to play DII games, only a ****** bag commissioner would do something like that when it's completely unnecessary.

As for NDSU, they would likely play a few nsic team if they had opening. With 16 teams, the nsic is booked. Lots of FCS teams play DIIs, it is allowed by rule. They actually view the DII games by how strong or weak the actual team is, imagine that!

Fair enough, I honestly didn't know. Fcs teams rarely beat p5 school. Ndsu has done well vs fbs recently, but that's an anomaly. I get it, you beat 3-9 team under kill and proven you can beat us for entirety

For all of the fans applauding the move to a "tougher" schedule - be careful what you ask for. With a 9-game conference schedule and a mandatory game against a "power 5" team, there is no margin for error.

Let me be clear - I'm not saying the Gophs should play 3 cupcakes in non-conference, and I'm fine with seeing them play quality non-conf games. But, everyone needs to realize that this makes the road tougher if you want to see the Gophs playing in major bowl games, or getting into the national playoff picture. They simply cannot afford a "bad" loss or an off-day.

There are pitfalls surely. Gophers will need to elevate their game no doubt

It could negatively impact mn and other 2nd tier b1g teams

Actually he does. They are still crowing about beating two of the worst Gopher teams in recent history.

In my experience ndsu seems to think they'd finish 2nd to tohsu

2016 and 2017

Football - 2016 Schedule

Date Opponent Location Time (CST)
Thurs, Sep 01 Oregon State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 10 Indiana State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 24 Colorado State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 1 at Penn State University Park, Pa. TBA
Sat, Oct 8 Iowa TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 15 at Maryland College Park, Md. TBA
Sat, Oct 22 Rutgers TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 29 at Illinois Champaign, Ill. TBA
Sat, Nov 5 Purdue TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 12 at Nebraska Lincoln, Neb. TBA
Sat, Nov 19 Northwestern TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 26 at Wisconsin Madison, Wis. TBA
* Conference Games

Football - 2017 Schedule

Date Opponent Location Time (CST)
Thurs, Aug 31 Buffalo TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 09 at Oregon State Corvallis, Ore. TBA
Sat, Sep 16 Middle Tennessee State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 30 Maryland TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 7 at Purdue West Lafayette, Ind. TBA
Sat, Oct 14 Michigan State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 21 Illinois TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 28 at Iowa Iowa City, Iowa TBA
Sat, Nov 4 at Michigan Ann Arbor, Mich. TBA
Sat, Nov 11 Nebraska TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 18 at Northwestern Evanston, Ill. TBA
Sat, Nov 25 Wisconsin TCF Bank Stadium TBA
* Conference Games

I think this is a good thing for the most part. Playing an FCS school has become way too common. It's one thing to play a regional FCS school once every handful of years and its another to schedule Indiana State or whoever just so you can have a near automatic W on the schedule. It just isn't the same level of competition and doesn't help the team at all, can only hurt. I like the 9 conf games along with 1 power 5 and 2 non P5 fbs games(mac/MW or whoever).

One, but not both: a ninth BT game or a Power-5, but not both. Unless most conferences follow (they won't), it will hurt the BT in bowl selections. I remember the equivalent when Stoll was coach. We got killed by playing an extra BT game early in the season, plus the equivalent of a Power-5 opponent. Injuries, extra losses, etc. We are not Ohio State.

So you're just upset that a few FCS teams won't get the chance to earn a big payday by playing Big Ten teams. I fail to see how a conference making a decision that they feel is in the best interest of the conference makes them arrogant. You can disagree with it, but that doesn't make it an arrogant decision.

So you're just upset that a few FCS teams won't get the chance to earn a big payday by playing Big Ten teams. I fail to see how a conference making a decision that they feel is in the best interest of the conference makes them arrogant. You can disagree with it, but that doesn't make it an arrogant decision.

Agreed, I see no reason that the Big Ten shouldn't be acting in the Big Ten's best interest. If certain other schools want to play Big Ten teams, they can move up.

The playing field will even out if all conferences follow suit. Without the padded wins on everyone's schedule, most team records will have a few more losses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the idea is to schedule tougher opponents, we didn't get the memo. New Mexico State, Buffalo and Middle Tennessee have been worse than upper half of the Missouri Valley and they demand a much higher guarantee.

I think the new rule might go very well with the Sunbelt vocalizing the idea of no longer playing P5 schools in an effort to have an undefeated team that could qualify for a shot at the national title.

Any team that plays Weber State, Indiana State cannot complain about anything. If NDSU fans wanna play the Gophers, Wisconsin and other Power 5 Teams, maybe they should move up instead of beating the Sisters of the Poor every year. I do think scheduling should be left up to the schools, but there is no reason to play NDSU or like programs. It doesn't help for recruiting, strength of schedule. And speaking as a season ticket holder, it's a game that no alumni is interested in seeing.

So, you want NDSU to add 22 scholarships, then you want to play? Ya, Kills not going to fall for that one.

My feeling about this B1G policy really has nothing to do with NDSU. How are teams like Indiana State, MO State and UNI, who rely in Instate or local FBS games, going to survive? If the MAC is next, how do some of those teams survive without pay days and a cut of the revenue. If you look at this from a, what's best for college football perspective, it's a very selfish move. That's my concern. And it's unnecessary to tell IN or Purdue that they can't play IN State. It's unnecessary to tell Iowa that they can't play UNI. Then, look at the slate of FBS cupcakes on WIs schedule? The sos argument by the B1G is a ruse at best.

Top Bottom