Rating Leidner's skills...

Then you like not getting to the next level.

Clearly you are a video game fanatic...

ZAckOMVbv7Jba.gif

I'll push a peanut to Madison with my nose if " beat bucky" isn't a troll from the East. He's string the pot. His moniker would be "beat becky " if he were legit.

Leidner is not the best QB, he's also not the worst. He needs to be way more consistent. He's also shown he can be a good QB. Some of the blame for the passing game woes belongs to Leidner. And some of blame should be on the receivers.

The fact is, he is the best QB on the team right now.

Leidner is not the best QB, he's also not the worst. He needs to be way more consistent. He's also shown he can be a good QB. Some of the blame for the passing game woes belongs to Leidner. And some of blame should be on the receivers.

The fact is, he is the best QB on the team right now.

Well stated. Above average runner, below average passer. Much better game manager, footwork, and overall QB than A. Web.

Leidner was 32nd in the nation in QBR last year. Highest score since Cupito in '06.
He has the ability to move the chains when necessary and he took care of the football reasonably well. Love this kid, even if he isn't the most polished technician. He has some fully inflated balls, even played hurt a good chunk of the season, reportedly. I think he has a nice season.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr/_/year/2006

Good runner, not exactly an inspiring passer, but guess what? Kid is still young, he'll get better that's what separates good coaching staffs like Kill's from poor ones.

Leidner was 32nd in the nation in QBR last year. Highest score since Cupito in '06.
He has the ability to move the chains when necessary and he took care of the football reasonably well. Love this kid, even if he isn't the most polished technician. He has some fully inflated balls, even played hurt a good chunk of the season, reportedly. I think he has a nice season.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr/_/year/2006

I don't care what you post but the Bateman photo is always one of my favorites

The fact that he has assigned Leidner a higher "Passing" number than "Playmaking" should be all we need to see to laugh off this entire thread. Mitch makes plenty of plays, whether they are on runs or on making the correct read and handing the ball off to the RB. Seriously, in the "Read-Option" offense, when the RB has a nice gain, the QB should get as much credit as he would on completing a pass.

In spirit of this thread, here are my rankings for Leidner (on a scale from 8-Pistachio):

Passing: 47
Playmaking: Chicken
Running: &
Clutch Play: N/A it's an automatic

The fact that he has assigned Leidner a higher "Passing" number than "Playmaking" should be all we need to see to laugh off this entire thread. Mitch makes plenty of plays, whether they are on runs or on making the correct read and handing the ball off to the RB. Seriously, in the "Read-Option" offense, when the RB has a nice gain, the QB should get as much credit as he would on completing a pass.

In spirit of this thread, here are my rankings for Leidner (on a scale from 8-Pistachio):

Running the ball in a read option offense is not "playmaking", its "running". Did you ever play the game?
Playmaking is doing something as an individual to improvise on a called play (one that often isn't going to work) and to turn it into a big gain or a critical first down or a touchdown.
And I'm sorry but I don't remember Mitch doing that very often- and less so against good competition like TCU, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Missouri

Running the ball in a read option offense is not "playmaking", its "running". Did you ever play the game?
Playmaking is doing something as an individual to improvise on a called play (one that often isn't going to work) and to turn it into a big gain or a critical first down or a touchdown.
And I'm sorry but I don't remember Mitch doing that very often- and less so against good competition like TCU, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Missouri

Your categories can mean whatever you want them to - they are your creation. So, if the read option is called and Mitch notices that the DE is maintaining his position and decides to hand the ball to the RB to breaks free for a large gain, does this fall under Mitch's "running ability?" Or, does the reading and improvising make it "playmaking?" Or, if it is at a critical time of the game does become "clutch?"

I have never played organized football, but now knowing that it would have given me the ability to assign arbitrary numbers to general categories I definitely regret it.

You are giving this thread too much credit.

Missouri bowl game showed off his passing skills and maturity IMO. The final drives were stalled due to play calling and Missouri stuffing the run game.

One game proves nothing. He looked great in that game and I think he will be much improved this year - but picking 1 game is dangerous as there will always be the opposite "proof" in another game. Let's all just hope he becomes more consistent.

Honestly, I'd be satisfied with him if he plays ONE great game against Wisconsin. Haven't seen that yet.

to me, "Playmaking" can encompass a myriad of skills by the QB. A really good ball-fake that freezes a linebacker is playmaking. Calling an audible at the line of scrimmage is playmaking. Reading defenses is playmaking.

Bottom line for this whole thread - BeatBucky doesn't like Leidner, so he's trying to prove his point by making up his own rating system, and cherry-picking his own definitions in order to reach a pre-ordained conclusion.

My suggestion to BeatBucky - go to the off-topic board and argue about religion and politics with Tiny and Diehard.

One game proves nothing. He looked great in that game and I think he will be much improved this year - but picking 1 game is dangerous as there will always be the opposite "proof" in another game. Let's all just hope he becomes more consistent.

Agree wholeheartedly with the consistency aspect. My hope is that he builds off that performance.

Spent some time watching the 2014 Gopher Highlights and forgot about just how many big-time passes were made last season. My memory has summarized last season as nothing but Cobb grinding out big gains and some circus catches by Maxxxx, but there was so much more to this team last year, including a better-than-remembered QB performance.

Go back and watch the TCU game, or the OSU game, or the Wisconsin game and you might have a different opinion.
And I don't dislike Leidner. I don't know him. I'm just wondering if he's the best option at qb that's all.

By your definition then, running any play is playmaking???

"Successfully" running any play is playmaking in my book, but I'm not really trying to define a vague generality. I'm more concerned about calling out your attempt to do so. You do make solid points, though, about Leidner's effectiveness in our losses to a couple great teams (TCU, OSU), a very good team (Missouri) and a slightly above average team (skunks). I just don't see the point. When we play teams that can shut down/slow down our running game, we are going to struggle...that's how losses happen. Leidner is a very effective QB for our system and his overall win/loss record shows that. Winning 8 games in back to back years is nothing for this program to sneeze at (*Nelson had a role in 2013, I realize).

Is there any serious thought to playing Streveler? In some ways, I think, he fits the offense better as he's a much quicker and faster runner.

Is there any serious thought to playing Streveler? In some ways, I think, he fits the offense better as he's a much quicker and faster runner.

You should set up a meeting with Coach Kill. I assume he's never thought of evaluating his talent and playing the best overall option.

I agree, BB, that those games were not great performances from Leidner in particular. He was inconsistent last season.

One thing I'm hoping to see this season in his progress is consistency. Considering he has started 16 games and appeared in 22, it's hard to believe he is only entering his Junior year at MN. If he can make consistent throws, find open targets, and still make the plays he needs to with his feet, I'll be happy even if his completion % is still low. Having as much experience as he does with 2 seasons ahead of him, I have to say I'm more excited than critical.

Did you see his one start? At one point I was rooting to win a game without a completion

You worry about ML7's ability to pass and then say CS5 is a better fit? Mitch's running ability is the least of my worries and his passing ability & his ability to run the offense is much ahead of CS5.

You worry about ML7's ability to pass and then say CS5 is a better fit? Mitch's running ability is the least of my worries and his passing ability & his ability to run the offense is much ahead of CS5.

You may be right about Streveler, though I think its fair to say he had a nice 70 td run and a very accurate long completion in the spring game. Perhaps he's a better thrower than we realize?
In some ways, he reminds me of a Beathard as compared to a Rudock for Iowa. And they finally made the switch.

You may be right about Streveler, though I think its fair to say he had a nice 70 td run and a very accurate long completion in the spring game. Perhaps he's a better thrower than we realize?

Practice? You're talking about practice?

Top Bottom