Rating Leidner's skills...

Oh and btw, his first year as a starter, Drew Brees threw for a school record 522 yards vs MINNESOTA, 31 for 36 at an 86% completion rate, not to mention he won the Alamo Bowl vs K State with a td pass in the last 30 seconds.

It acts like a troll. It talks like a troll. It looks like a troll. Guess what? It is a troll! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Let me explain this to you sloooowwwwlllyyy. The point is that a football evaluator can tell pretty quickly if a qb who is playing full time has "what it takes". I used Drew Brees as the example and you throw out a straw argument. Just ask Joe Tiller if he recognized Brees' talents pretty quickly. The answer would be yes.
In his FIRST YEAR AS STARTER, Brees threw for 1/3 of Leidner's total season passing yards IN ONE GAME. Get it?

Yes, I get the point you're now trying to make, but that was never the issue I was addressing.

You really don't understand what a "straw argument" is, do you?

You are having fun now aren't you? Yes, and Brees played in the same offense as we've ran here with Mitch.

Chandler Harnish, NIU. Look up his progression under Kill and Limegrover.

Tell me it doesn't look a hell of alot like Mitch Leidner thus far. The only difference is that Leidner is playing a tougher schedule, and has better rushing numbers.
Harnish as a senior(which Mitch won't be until the 2016 season in two more seasons) was unreal as a QB.

For easy reference, Harnish as the starter under Kill:

2008 (Freshman): 118/211 (55.9%), 1,528 yards, 8 TD, 6 INT. 539 yards rushing (4.6 ypc), 4 TDs
2009 (Sophomore): 143/223 (64.1%), 1,670 yards, 11 TD, 6 INT. 229 yards rushing (2.6 ypc), 2 TDs
2010 (Junior): 189/292 (64.7%), 2,530 yards, 21 TD, 5 INT. 836 yards rushing (6.1 ypc), 7 TDs

And Leidner as the starter under Kill:
2014 (Sophomore): 122/237 (51.5%), 1,798 yards, 11 TD, 8 INT. 452 yards rushing (3.6 ypc), 10 TDs

If Mitch makes the leap that Harnish made from year one to year two as the starter, look out.

Here's a good example of how important having a talented qb is. And this guy's no Drew Brees. But last year, does anyone think the Gophers would have cruised at Michigan (maybe even won at Michigan) if the Wolverines hairbrained coach had played Devin Gardner? The kid was experienced, a playmaker, and a Gopher killer.
If Leidner can maximize his skill set like that, I think we'll all be satisfied.

For easy reference, Harnish as the starter under Kill:

2008 (Freshman): 118/211 (55.9%), 1,528 yards, 8 TD, 6 INT. 539 yards rushing (4.6 ypc), 4 TDs
2009 (Sophomore): 143/223 (64.1%), 1,670 yards, 11 TD, 6 INT. 229 yards rushing (2.6 ypc), 2 TDs
2010 (Junior): 189/292 (64.7%), 2,530 yards, 21 TD, 5 INT. 836 yards rushing (6.1 ypc), 7 TDs

And Leidner as the starter under Kill:
2014 (Sophomore): 122/237 (51.5%), 1,798 yards, 11 TD, 8 INT. 452 yards rushing (3.6 ypc), 10 TDs

If Mitch makes the leap that Harnish made from year one to year two as the starter, look out.

Interesting stats. But isn't Mitch in his third year as starter (started 4 as a freshman)? I'd love to see that junior stat line at the end of the season.

Interesting stats. But isn't Mitch in his third year (partially) as a starter?

He had spotty playing time his freshman year, starting against San Jose State and Michigan and getting playing time in the bowl game and against Michigan State. But given he wasn't anything close to the full-time starter I would really consider Mitch's 2014 to parallel Harnish's 2008 from a comparison standpoint.

Interesting stats. But isn't Mitch in his third year as starter (started 4 as a freshman)? I'd love to see that junior stat line at the end of the season.

Ok, I give. I don't care if you're a troll or not. I just want to know:

What exactly is the point you're trying to make? That the Gophers would be better off if they started a backup against the #2 team in the country?

In all honesty, I would love an answer to that specific question.

I think I can safely speak for the "other side" when i say that we all know Mitch has flaws. But we also think that he gives us the best shot to win and we put trust in our coaching staff to make the best decisions.

Why don't you pull this stuff out after week three? At least then it would be somewhat believable.

You wouldn't be able to find a respectable football pundit in the entire country that would say that one of the backups give the Gophers the best chance to beat TCU.

Here's a good example of how important having a talented qb is. And this guy's no Drew Brees. But last year, does anyone think the Gophers would have cruised at Michigan (maybe even won at Michigan) if the Wolverines hairbrained coach had played Devin Gardner? The kid was experienced, a playmaker, and a Gopher killer.
If Leidner can maximize his skill set like that, I think we'll all be satisfied.

1. We all agree it's important to have a good QB.
2. Mitch Leidner isn't, and never will be, Drew Brees.
3. The jury is out on how good Mitch will be.
4. Mitch is the best QB we have on the roster, and will be for the next 17 months until his eligibility is up.

Funny Michigan put Gardner in the second half with the game still in doubt, he lead them to a TD his first drive and didn't do squat after. It actually probably would've been worse for Gardner had we had a full week to prep for him, he had the element of surprise when he came into the game, but again once Clays adjusted he had no chance just like the kid who got hit so hard, the AD got fired

You know, I really hope many of <b>Leidner's fans</b> are right and that he becomes a great qb.
Its just that I've been playing and watching football a long, long time and its been my experience that, after a couple of years, you can pretty much gauge what a player's talents and shortcomings are. That is, Drew Brees was great in his first couple of games, Philip Nelson was inconsistent in every game.
But again, I hope Leidner is the exception.

Most of us aren't saying ML7 is great. We never compared him to Drew. We are simply trying to acknowledge that he is the best QB on our roster right now. That was your original point, right? That he isn't? It doesn't really matter how good he is or isn't or if the staff thinks he's special or doesn't. All that matters is if he is the best player on the roster at this time.

Has anyone ever seen Beat Bucky and Parski in the same room at the same time?

On 92.3% of every college campus the most popular guy is the second string QB. Then, the second string guy gets in a game or two and suddenly, fans realize why the starter was the starter. Coaches know best 97.4% of the time, let them coach and enjoy what could be.

Go Gophers! Beat those Toads

I want to be the first to say Mitch is Great!

He will win the Heisman his senior year and Beat Becky/Parski will still be asking for Perra or Croft or Mauer to be the QB

Watching the BigTen classic football games gives one a good opportunity to compare the recent qb play in the conference. After two years, we've all seen what Mitch Leidner's got, but how do his skills compare with other recent qbs that have taken their teams to the next level?
On a scale of 1-10, let's rate the necessary skills...
Passing- Cook MSU 7, Jones OSU 7, Wilson UW 6, Leidner UM 4
Playmaking- Wilson UW 8, Jones OSU 7, Cook MSU 5, Leidner UM 3
Clutch Time- Wilson UW 9, Jones OSU 8, Cook MSU 6, Leidner UM 4
Running- Miller OSU 8, Wilson UW 6, Leidner UM 5, Cook MSU 3
For those Gopher fans looking for the team to take the next step, the stats along with these honest ratings might indicate it may not happen for a couple of more years.

Yeah, how could he possibly be any good coming from a Minnesota HS, right? And, look at him -- one look tells you he can't be athletic, right? Let's trash him here for the same reason we trashed Adam Weber.

Top Bottom