Video: Briean BoddyCalhoun vs Ohio State

die hard gopher

Reaction score

Briean Boddy-Calhoun (BBC until I learn of another nickname) was a interesting first watch. Average height (5’11) and looks a little thin, but has a good listed weight at ~190. Has some technical issues related to footwork and biting on false steps to jump routes. He has some nice ball skills getting both a “click & close” PBU and a very nice looking INT where he runs the route for the WR and takes the ball back about 50 yards showcasing some nice athleticism juking and running through tackle attempts.

He is not aggressive in run defense at all. Most times he prefers to wait for the ball carrier to get to him in hopes that someone in front of him will finish the play before he needs to. When runners do get to him, he drops his shoulder and dives for the knees without wrapping up. It seems he’d rather trip them than tackle then or as Ryan Riddle once put it, “(He) tackles like a DB.” BBC is a DB, but that isnt what you want to see. It does work in his favor once when creating a RZ fumble & recovery, but for the most part its not a good look.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/briean-boddy-calhoun-vs-ohio-state-2014/

Chili just got a little hotter.

Found myself watching Richardson the whole time....He gets penetration on every play... they even had a RB help the G out with him twds the end.

Briean Boddy-Calhoun (BBC until I learn of another nickname)

My brother misread his name in one of his earliest appearances as "Bloody-Calhoun." We've been referring to him as Bloody ever since.

My brother misread his name in one of his earliest appearances as "Bloody-Calhoun." We've been referring to him as Bloody ever since.
I think that's what Bo Pellinini was saying after last years game.

Great pass defender but he is no Antoine Winfield covering the run. Hopefully he can improve on that this year.

I think he was probably a little scared to tackle and be super aggressive in the OSU game due to the cold weather. Do these draft break down dudes only look at one game?

Eric Murray seems to relish in large hits and filling in the run game. I question I have is the boundary corner always the larger more physical corner and the boundary corner is the smaller, faster, ball hawk type? Or is that just what we have going on currently.

Briean Boddy-Calhoun (BBC until I learn of another nickname) was a interesting first watch. Average height (5’11) and looks a little thin, but has a good listed weight at ~190. Has some technical issues related to footwork and biting on false steps to jump routes. He has some nice ball skills getting both a “click & close” PBU and a very nice looking INT where he runs the route for the WR and takes the ball back about 50 yards showcasing some nice athleticism juking and running through tackle attempts.

He is not aggressive in run defense at all. Most times he prefers to wait for the ball carrier to get to him in hopes that someone in front of him will finish the play before he needs to. When runners do get to him, he drops his shoulder and dives for the knees without wrapping up. It seems he’d rather trip them than tackle then or as Ryan Riddle once put it, “(He) tackles like a DB.” BBC is a DB, but that isnt what you want to see. It does work in his favor once when creating a RZ fumble & recovery, but for the most part its not a good look.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/briean-boddy-calhoun-vs-ohio-state-2014/

In general, or specifically this video? Maybe he was just "staying home" OSU had some of the fastest backs we saw last year. Maybe BBC was lining up for the sure tackle rather than making a move just to save a couple yards but potentially miss and give up a big gain.

Eric Murray seems to relish in large hits and filling in the run game. I question I have is the boundary corner always the larger more physical corner and the boundary corner is the smaller, faster, ball hawk type? Or is that just what we have going on currently.
Eric Murray is the best run stopping corner I remember seeing for the Gophers. He is very physical and tackles well.

Yawn. He is a pass defender who is 2nd line of defense against the run. Very very few DB's can be great pass defenders and big hitters. Not a big deal as you will see come draft day.

Top Bottom