Idea: Move Vikings Training Camp to the U

There is such a long history there with Mankato that I don't see it moving any time soon. I suspect the Vikings like the idea of getting the team away from their homes (staying in dorms together) and keeping them away from city distractions - something a lot of NFL teams do.

Gopher players are using the fields and weight rooms and next week the Gophers start officially and are using the facilities basically 24/7. They already don't like sharing with golfers and softball players.

Vikings are renegotiating with Mankato.

From the Strib: Only the Packers have held their training camp at the same location for a longer period of time than the Vikings, who are one of only 12 teams that hold their camp away from their facility. In 2000, 26 of 31 NFL teams went off-site for camp.

Looks like talk of leaving Eden Prairie for another suburb could include facilities that would be used for all of training camp.

Why would we want the Gophers to have to share their facilities with the Vikings? Both teams run their training camps at the same time.

If the Vikes wanted to stay local, they would, you know, use their own facilities.

Go Gophers!!

I would bet there are too many facility conflicts at the U for this to work. Football using the practice facility as well as other fall sports using the weight rooms and other facilities. Marching band also begins their season practicing I think something like 2 weeks before the first home game so the stadium is in use by them for portions of the day. I also think it's good for the Viking's fan base to have the training camp somewhere other than the Twin Cities so the outstate folks can get a peak without having to drive in to the City.

Gopher players are using the fields and weight rooms and next week the Gophers start officially and are using the facilities basically 24/7. They already don't like sharing with golfers and softball players.

Vikings are renegotiating with Mankato.

From the Strib: Only the Packers have held their training camp at the same location for a longer period of time than the Vikings, who are one of only 12 teams that hold their camp away from their facility. In 2000, 26 of 31 NFL teams went off-site for camp.

Looks like talk of leaving Eden Prairie for another suburb could include facilities that would be used for all of training camp.

This.

Ziggy has to spend all that money somewhere. The legislature wouldn't let him spend it on the stadium.

I would bet there are too many facility conflicts at the U for this to work. Football using the practice facility as well as other fall sports using the weight rooms and other facilities. Marching band also begins their season practicing I think something like 2 weeks before the first home game so the stadium is in use by them for portions of the day. I also think it's good for the Viking's fan base to have the training camp somewhere other than the Twin Cities so the outstate folks can get a peak without having to drive in to the City.

You are correct, we start about two weeks before classes start. During that time, other than meals, we spend pretty much all day in TCF, either on the field for marching practice or in our area for music practice. Even during the times we aren't on the field, the football team does use the field on and off in prep for the first game, so there isn't much free time on the field.

Where are the Gophers going to practice and play their home opener? Totally dumb idea.

Rent money

Bleep no.

While the rent money from the Vikings training camp on the UofM campus would be appealing for each of us...it would barely be noticeable in funding facilities construction.
That makes it a non starter. The hassle of sharing facilities during the most important time of the season to build your foundation for each upcoming season makes it irresponsible.
Especially, if the idea is we are doing all we can to win games.

As mentioned, each team wants to be and needs to in total control of their facilities to develop their teams.

Different set of factors in Mankato...that's tourism and economic impact to the whole town.

Might be the dumbed thing ever posted on this site, and that is no mean achievement.

Top Bottom