Fox Sports: Michigan St. withdraws offer to OL recruit after he visits Ohio State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Fox Sports:

Nothing is set in stone as far as recruiting goes until someone enrolls in school early or signs a letter of intent.

And while players flipping to other schools has seemingly become more and more common over the past few years, the past weekend offered a reminder it is a two-way street.

Scout.com reported Gavin Cupp, a three-star offensive line prospect from Leipsic, Ohio, was dropped by Spartans head coach Mark Dantonio after Cupp attended Ohio State's annual Friday Night Lights one-day recruiting camp at Ohio Stadium on Friday night and worked out for Ohio State coaches.

Cupp joined Michigan State's class, which is on pace to be by far the best of Dantonio's tenure in East Lansing, when he verbally committed more than two months ago. He picked the Spartans while also holding offers from Illinois, Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati along with a handful of MAC schools.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ops-recruit-after-he-visits-ohio-state-072715

Go Gophers!!

Have to wonder if the staff would take him, with four OL already committed and JuCo Vincent Calhoun looking likely.

For what it's worth, I'd say they likely would.

I like it, I wish more coaches would do this.

Doing this is the only way to get kids to respect the commitment process it needs to happen repeatedly.

I like it, I wish more coaches would do this.

This. These kids need to be a man of their word when they give their commitment and that should be the end of it. The only time I can see it as a good reason to continue going to camps or decommit is if the coach that is recruiting him is no longer with that particular school or due to family reasons (parent or guardians health etc...) and needing to be closer to home. The kids need realize and understand that giving your word and sticking to it is a great life lesson and will benefit them on and off the field. Like you said if more coaches did this then that may stop some of these issues in the recruiting process.

This split is probably best for both parties here.

If Michigan State pulls an offer on a 17 year old kid for looking into where he is going to spend the next 4-5 years of his life...clearly he could find a place that values him a little more. If he is my kid, and they warn me that looking at other colleges is going to cause my kid to lose an offer. I would encourage my kid to look elsewhere anyways.

The argument is that the kid should respect his commitment...but in a world where schools offer more kids than they have scholarships to give there is incentive to commit early and reserve a spot. So I do not hold it against a kid for looking after committing if they are having doubts or second thoughts.

For a regular student...national decision day is May 1 of their senior year. Even after May 1 you could change your mind. So I will never hold it against a JUNIOR for having second thoughts. Easy to say he shouldn't have committed then...but if he doesn't commit he might not have a spot. If you don't like the way it works maybe the rules should be changed. I fault neither party.

Doing this is the only way to get kids to respect the commitment process it needs to happen repeatedly.

You mean the same thing Kamal Martin did who many on here are happy about?

This split is probably best for both parties here.

If Michigan State pulls an offer on a 17 year old kid for looking into where he is going to spend the next 4-5 years of his life...clearly he could find a place that values him a little more. If he is my kid, and they warn me that looking at other colleges is going to cause my kid to lose an offer. I would encourage my kid to look elsewhere anyways.

I'm guessing this wasn't a surprise to the kid. I'm sure Dantonio told him he would lose his offer if he visited elsewhere. Kid took a calculated risk and lost. I'm sure he'll end up doing just fine wherever he ends up though.

Exactly...people like to get all excited about this...but really both sides pretty much decided it was best to go elsewhere...glad it happened when he was a junior in high school instead of the end of his freshmen year.

Is it a matter of being true to your word, or don't commit until you are absolutely sure?

Is it a matter of being true to your word, or don't commit until you are absolutely sure?

Both. Make sure you are 100% in on your decision before you take that step so you don't end up in situations like this.

So we want 17 year old kids to "hold to their word," but don't expect the same from the 50 year old men coaching the team who recruits them then leaves? Or who runs them off a couple years later because they want to open up a scholarship. Yeah, that seems consistent.

So we want 17 year old kids to "hold to their word," but don't expect the same from the 50 year old men coaching the team who recruits them then leaves? Or who runs them off a couple years later because they want to open up a scholarship. Yeah, that seems consistent.

Yes, I do...mine did. He waited until he knew for sure. It's a chance you have to take going thru the recruiting process and that's where the parents should be there to support them thru the process. It's unfortunate that coaches will pull that card but you have to do your research the best you can and have some one on one time with the coach to see if you feel he and the staff are being genuine. I'm not making excuses for the coaches pulling that crap but a parent being involved may help their child from being caught up in that situation. Also, I'm not saying this young mans parents were not involved, maybe they were but the earlier a kid commits the better chance of something like this happening seems to increase these days. JMHO

If you want kids to honor verbal commitments coaches shouldn't be allowed to make more offers than they have scholarships.

They want 3 o linemen. Offer 5 and tell all 5 the first three that verbal get the scholarships and the other two don't. Then get mad when people back out

I agree that coaches definitely have the upper hand in these situations and believe an early signing period would stop some of this. The recruiting process is brutal and the coach should be held to a higher standard as far as being honest with the athlete on whether they will honor the kids commitment before they allow them to verbal. I know for a fact that a couple of my sons friends were told that if they attended camps or took other officials while committed to this particular school then they would open up their scholarship up for someone else. They said it was about being true to the commitment they made. I guess to some coaches that really matters and to others it's doesn't. All I can say is that Coach Kill, Limegrover are men of their word and could not be happier that my son will play his college ball for men of their caliber !

From some MSU users on Reddit.com so take it for what its worth:

It's not a policy against taking visits at other schools; Jonah Morris from the same class was at FNL too, Abdul Adams camped and received and offer from Alabama, Demetric Vance camped and received an offer at Florida. The difference? Those players talked to the coaching staff prior, instead of trying to sneak around. Dantonio will honor his commitment, and expects you to do the same. Should you be flippant and disrespect said agreement, well... Gavin learned a life lesson it would seem.
(in response to another post which read: "If Dantonio had told the kid about the policy beforehand, then I don't see this as a big issue.")

Other 2016 commits have visited other schools and even participated in camps. Our committed RB Abdul Adams camped and earned an offer at Alabama just last week. That part's not the issue.
Dantonio expects the committed recruits to show them the respect of informing them that they are visiting/camping at other schools. It sounds like Cupp tried to sneak around and earn an OSU offer without letting the MSU staff know. That sort of behavior isn't really what you want on your team - it spreads discord in the locker room if it runs unchecked. So might as well cut ties now.

Dantonio is very clear and pretty upfront about how this works.
Hell, he won't he even accept a kid committing to the school until after they've had a chance to visit the campus and meet the coaches. He's very serious about kids making the right decision about their future.
He'll let you visit other places, but he expects to be kept in the loop so he isn't blindsided by a change of heart.
Obviously my flair gives away my allegiances, but I don't think there's anything wrong about that. He gives you the freedom to still explore other opportunities. Just be open and transparent about it.

I don't believe that story for one second.
If all he had to do to camp at Ohio without losing an offer was tell dantonio why would he sneak around?

That story argues the kid did the one thing that would cost him by doing something that gained him nothing. I don't buy it

I don't believe that story for one second.
If all he had to do to camp at Ohio without losing an offer was tell dantonio why would he sneak around?

That story argues the kid did the one thing that would cost him by doing something that gained him nothing. I don't buy it

Dantanio was reported as saying that it was a last straw in a line of poor communication. It appears that Dantanio values communication very highly.

This. These kids need to be a man of their word when they give their commitment and that should be the end of it. The only time I can see it as a good reason to continue going to camps or decommit is if the coach that is recruiting him is no longer with that particular school or due to family reasons (parent or guardians health etc...) and needing to be closer to home. The kids need realize and understand that giving your word and sticking to it is a great life lesson and will benefit them on and off the field. Like you said if more coaches did this then that may stop some of these issues in the recruiting process.

Feel the same way about the coaches moving on from recruits?

Dantanio was reported as saying that it was a last straw in a line of poor communication. It appears that Dantanio values communication very highly.

Seems like it was a mutual parting.

Committed to OSU.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Michigan state definitely dropped him though. Not the other way around. Not mutual loss of interest.

Top Bottom