Big Ten media pick Gophers 3rd in BT West, 3 first place division votes

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Cleveland.com puts together a preseason media poll each year. Here are the results of this years predictions:

Here are the overall predicted rankings in the divisions, with point totals and first-place votes.

EAST

1. Ohio State 280 (40)
2. Michigan State 240
3. Penn State 186.5
4. Michigan 163.5
5. Maryland 95.5
6. Rutgers 78
7. Indiana 76.5

WEST

1. Wisconsin 272 (32)
2. Nebraska 231.5 (5)
3. Minnesota 197 (3)
4. Iowa 158.5
5. Northwestern 125
6. Illinois 77
7. Purdue 59

Big Ten Championship

Ohio State over Wisconsin (32)

Ohio State over Nebraska (5)

Ohio State over Minnesota (3)

Big Ten Champion

Ohio State (40)

Go Gophers!!

I'm actually kind of glad they still project Wisconsin and Nebraska ahead of us. I'm very hopeful about this season and believe the Gophers can win the West. But I can't help but think about Northwestern two years ago. They were in a very similar situation and had many suggesting they could win the division. They lost some close games to good teams, then had a few injuries and never recovered.

Can we win the Jug twice in a row for the first time since the 1960s? Can we beat Nebraska three times in a row for the first time since the 1950s? Can we finally beat Wisconsin? Can we avoid a misstep like we saw against Illinois last year?

I think the answer is yes. But it's a tall order. It's the Minnesota sports fan in me that keeps keeps me thinking we can't have nice things.

Crap. This is the longest offseason ever. I don't ever wish time away, but it is getting hard to wait.

This is the Cleveland Plain Dealer poll. They are in the media, but their focus is on Columbus. And of course their poll shows TOSU. This is neither news, nor relevant. Its their sports department opinion. They I believe gave us a 2% percent chance of beating TOSU. They discounted last year, calling the weather a factor. They did not mention Mitch's two interceptions. We are just the team to not only challenge the West but also give TOSU all they want. They would say how can you stop their offense. Just do what we do. Play ball control, run the ball, and make them go 80 every time. We have the best kickers in the conference. Our special teams are near the top of the West. This will be a season where the Gophers will take the next step.

Chances are that had OSU and MICH not been on our schedule we may have been picked first by more. Wonder how much schedule played into these opinions.

I'll be surprised if Ohio state isn't unanimous in the actual media poll too.
Maybe Michigan state will get a vote.

I would probably have Maryland as 4th in the east.
I might think about Purdue over northwestern and Illinois.
Other than that I would have probably had my rankings the same as those.

This is the Cleveland Plain Dealer poll. They are in the media, but their focus is on Columbus. And of course their poll shows TOSU. This is neither news, nor relevant. Its their sports department opinion. They I believe gave us a 2% percent chance of beating TOSU. They discounted last year, calling the weather a factor. They did not mention Mitch's two interceptions. We are just the team to not only challenge the West but also give TOSU all they want. They would say how can you stop their offense. Just do what we do. Play ball control, run the ball, and make them go 80 every time. We have the best kickers in the conference. Our special teams are near the top of the West. This will be a season where the Gophers will take the next step.

A) Are you thinking that there's some entity in the universe that would pick a team other than OSU for the overall title?
B) You're basically wrong about the nature of this poll. This is the de facto Big Ten media poll now that they stopped doing an official one. There are voters in the poll that cover every team and also voters that just cover the Big Ten. There's nothing OSU-biased about this poll at all?

They guise the poll by stating 60 media members from around the conference. It would be helpful to name these members, and find out where they are from. For instance it could be 1 or 2 members from each school. And 40 members of the Ohio media. I will wait for confirmation from the Big 10 Kickoff. I don't doubt the pick will be TOSU, however its on paper or on the net.

Not surprised we were voted 3rd. A little surprised Wisconsin received that many 1st place votes.

I'd rather people sleep on us and surprises folks.

Our schedule definitely played a big role in the selection though, Nebraska's cross division games are MSU/Rutgers (Sparty at home). And Wisconsin gets Maryland/Rutgers.

Realistically we'll have to be rolling into the Shoe at 7-1 (6-2 minimum with a win over UNL) for a shot at the title.

Although everything boils down to whether or not we can beat the Badgers, just like last season. Get that axe and more than likely we are rematching with Brutus in Indy.

As was pointed out by someone else, them saying OSU is going to win the BIG has little to nothing to do with their location since nearly everyone who picks professionally and is not a homer will go with OSU as the conference and probably National Champion.

As for us I firmly believe we can take the next step and still get our butts kicked by Ohio State in Columbus. The weather absolutely played a role in last years game and although the final score was respectable that game was a few key OSU mistakes away from being an absolute route. Ohio State is crazy talented and will most likely run the table this year, there will be no shame in losing to the #1 team in the country if that is what happens when we play them in Columbus.

I want to hope for and believe the best but I am also rational enough to think that our chances of knocking off the defending National Champions on the road are not real high.

A) Are you thinking that there's some entity in the universe that would pick a team other than OSU for the overall title?
B) You're basically wrong about the nature of this poll. This is the de facto Big Ten media poll now that they stopped doing an official one. There are voters in the poll that cover every team and also voters that just cover the Big Ten. There's nothing OSU-biased about this poll at all?

+1

Not sure why anyone would be upset with this poll. It has become the unofficial poll of the conference since there is not an official one anymore. It's not OSU-biased, the Buckeyes are just that good and are the overwhelming favorite. Their fans and media have every right to be smug.

I'll be surprised if Ohio state isn't unanimous in the actual media poll too.
Maybe Michigan state will get a vote.

I would probably have Maryland as 4th in the east.
I might think about aPurdue over northwesternnd Illinois.
Other than that I would have probably had my rankings the same as those.

It's fun to look back at predictions ... 2-10 Purdue ahead of 10-2 Northwestern?

Top Bottom