Omaha World Herald: BT has done its “homework’’ to evaluate Okla & Kansas as members

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Omaha World Herald: BT has done its “homework’’ to evaluate Okla & Kansas as members

Omaha World Herald has a story that says back in 2010, the Big Ten considered adding Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Kansas and Iowa State.

Per the same article, it reiterated that Oklahoma and Kansas could still be in play:

If the predictions come true that the clock is ticking on the Big 12 sticking together, remember what we previously reported from two sources at Nebraska — the Big Ten has done its “homework’’ to evaluate Oklahoma and Kansas as potential members.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/barfknec...fc0-3337-11e5-8cc1-4373847a1bfe.html?mode=jqm

Go Gophers!!

I feel like we are going to look back in 20,30 or 50 years and point to conference expansion as what killed interest in college football and basketball. More and more schools are going to go through droughts like Minnesota has where they accomplish nothing of note for ~20 years (or more in the case of football) and that will kill a generation of fans. Very few people are going to continue to make donations every year for the right to pay for season tickets to watch their school continually play the role of the Washington Generals. TV ratings will probably be great for Oklahoma vs Ohio State in football and Michigan State and Kansas in basketball but apathy will set in at the gate at a number of other institutions. We've already seen attendance drop at a lot of schools for football as it is and I see that trend continuing.

On the other hand - if the B1G went to 16 teams, I assume they would go to divisions for Basketball. With an 8-team division, there is a better chance of winning a division title - or least being in contention for a division title. That (IMHO) should keep fans interested.

Top Bottom