Omaha World Herald: BT has done its “homework’’ to evaluate Okla & Kansas as members

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Omaha World Herald: BT has done its “homework’’ to evaluate Okla & Kansas as members

Omaha World Herald has a story that says back in 2010, the Big Ten considered adding Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Kansas and Iowa State.

Per the same article, it reiterated that Oklahoma and Kansas could still be in play:

If the predictions come true that the clock is ticking on the Big 12 sticking together, remember what we previously reported from two sources at Nebraska — the Big Ten has done its “homework’’ to evaluate Oklahoma and Kansas as potential members.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/barfknec...fc0-3337-11e5-8cc1-4373847a1bfe.html?mode=jqm

Go Gophers!!

Okla and Kansas would be excellent addditions if we went to 16.

“Charlie Strong is a nice man who is a little overmatched. Steve Patterson is not a very nice man, and he is way overmatched.’’

Our boy Red McCombs?

Omaha World Herald has a story that says back in 2010, the Big Ten considered adding Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Kansas and Iowa State.

Per the same article, it reiterated that Oklahoma and Kansas could still be in play:

If the predictions come true that the clock is ticking on the Big 12 sticking together, remember what we previously reported from two sources at Nebraska — the Big Ten has done its “homework’’ to evaluate Oklahoma and Kansas as potential members.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/barfknec...fc0-3337-11e5-8cc1-4373847a1bfe.html?mode=jqm

Go Gophers!!

Nebraska was a good fit and expanded the market. ISU and Kansas fit geographically but neither does much for an expanded market especially the Cyclones. Oklahoma and A&M don't fit in the Midwest but now that we added Rutgers and Maryland, I guess the whole geography thing went out the window. Consequently, we could go after Oklahoma but I don't think they bring much to the B1G academically or market wise. A&M would have been a huge coup with the TV market and fertile recruiting grounds it would have brought the B1G. Furthermore, A&M is an excellent academic institution but unfortunately that ship has sailed to the SEC.

If we could have a do over and assuming an eventual 16-team conference, I would keep Nebraska but dump PSU. Instead of Maryland and Rutgers, I would have preferred Virginia and Georgia Tech giving us the DC and Atlanta markets and two excellent academic institutions. I would have also gone after Colorado and A&M giving us two more excellent schools with the Denver and all important TX markets. Not sure who I would add as a 16 but maybe Syracuse or some other non-Rutgers team that could penetrate the NY market.

I'm sure there were more than a dozen teams the Big Ten considered adding and did their homework on in 2010.

I am not a fan of adding Kansas, I'D rather add Mizzou.

I don't understand adding Kansas. Kansas is only good in basketball but there isn't the revenue in basketball as there is in football and they are absolutely terrible in football. What is the rationale? Football drives the mergers. It also doesn't add much in terms of TV viewership. Kansas City is only the 31st largest market and Wichita is #68. Heck, the entire state of Kansas has only 2.8 million people. Trust me; Kansas fans only tune in to watch their basketball team - not their football team. Some do but most don't.

I don't understand adding Kansas. Kansas is only good in basketball but there isn't the revenue in basketball as there is in football and they are absolutely terrible in football. What is the rationale? Football drives the mergers. It also doesn't add much in terms of TV viewership. Kansas City is only the 31st largest market and Wichita is #68. Heck, the entire state of Kansas has only 2.8 million people. Trust me; Kansas fans only tune in to watch their basketball team - not their football team. Some do but most don't.

You are certainly correct about Kansas' football legacy. But, I'd argue that every league does not mind a couple of bottom dwellers. I don't think you want every team to be great or really good. Adding Kansas basketball would be a big plus.

With football, if those two schools were added and placed in the West division, Oklahoma would balance out the perceived power imbalance of the two divisions (Purdue could slide over to the east). Rekindling the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry would be pretty cool.

Kansas does hit all the checkmarks for B1G membership - adjacent state to an existing school, member of the AAU, D1FBS, etc. That said I can't imagine what they would add besides the 13 televisions in the state of Kansas. Unless the B1G somehow gets forced into 16 teams (NCAA votes to require 16 teams for a championship or some other school they can't pass on wants to come and they just can't figure out a better 16th team), I don't see KU as being desireable.

Oklahoma does not hit the checkmarks - they are not adjacent to a state with an existing school (though would be if KU was added and there have been claims this would be easy to drop for the right school) but more importantly they are not a member of the AAU. Supposedly this is still very important to the B1G. There were reports that the other 11 members were pretty upset when Nebraska got booted right after they came in the conference and that had that been known NU would not have been brought in. Maybe that was all a talk and they made sure to bring them in before so they could save face, but the B1G has at least kept up that story.

If we look at current AAU members that are not part of the PAC-12 or SEC (thinking these are too stable to rob someone) and are D1-FBS, there are only a few options: https://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5476

Duke#
Georgia Tech#
Iowa State
Rice*
Tulane*
Buffalo*
Kansas
North Carolina#
Pitt#
Texas
Virginia#

Supposedly the only other school that would be considered that is not in the AAU would be Notre Dame.

I don't see them promoting Buffalo, Rice or Tulane from non-Power 5 to Power 5. Of those, Buffalo would be the only geographical fit (adjacent state), which again is of questionable importance.

The ACC is seeming a lot more stable than it did a few years ago, so Duke, GT, NC, Pitt and Virginia are unlikely. It would cost all a TON of money for any of them to get out now.

So that leaves IA St, KU, Notre Dame and TX as the likely options. I think everyone understands (may not like) that IA St adds nothing to the conference financially. Any of the three non-Power 5 teams adds more (TV's, etc). So, I would be willing to bet that the only way expansion happens is if Notre Dame or TX come to the B1G and if they only get one they would add KU to make it 16 teams. I don't see any other scenario UNLESS the NCAA dictates 16 team conferences for championship games.

If Oklahoma and Kansas were added eventually it would get to the point where we would not longer see the eastern teams more than once every 10 years or so at home.

Purdue and Illinois (or northwestern) would probably go east.

If we're talking about market share, add either Navy or Army.

If Oklahoma and Kansas were added eventually it would get to the point where we would not longer see the eastern teams more than once every 10 years or so at home.

Purdue and Illinois (or northwestern) would probably go east.
If the B1G went to four pods of 4 teams, it wouldn't be so bad. You would have 3 games against your pod, 4 games against one other pod, and then have a game against one team in the two other pods (could be protected rivalries or the B1G preferential scheduling or whatever). This would add up to 9 conference games a year. If you rotated which pod you played each year (or every other year), you play every team outside your pod an average of once every three years. Not too shabby.

16 members is NOT a conference, it's a region. 14 is definitely pushing it.

If the B1G went to four pods of 4 teams, it wouldn't be so bad. You would have 3 games against your pod, 4 games against one other pod, and then have a game against one team in the two other pods (could be protected rivalries or the B1G preferential scheduling or whatever). This would add up to 9 conference games a year. If you rotated which pod you played each year (or every other year), you play every team outside your pod an average of once every three years. Not too shabby.

I like it. Good idea.

Top Bottom