Sports Huddle snippets w/Jerry Kill 7/26/15 10:00 AM

hungan1

Reaction score
Kudos to DL65 for doing such a wonderful job with Sports Huddle.

I don't know how he is able to listen to Sid (he mumbles), Dave, JK and write down verbatim what was said. I can't wait to get DL65 back.

Here are some snippets, please forgive me if I didn't hear or catch something correctly as I had to jot down on the fly:

>Camped out. No more camps for this summer.

>Players orientation is August 5th. August 7th is 1st player practices.

>Didn't quite caught it, but 1st two days of practice for a fee fans can watch practice and follow players and coaches in their individual meetings to see what goes on. Good for fans and the public. Limited spots still available if you want to participate.

>Questions were asked about how many players were offered through camps. JK said he can't talk about it. Several offers out including those who participated in camps last year. Offers are at least one camp out.

> Dave Mona asked if they still have the "academics bridge program"(?) for new players on how to study. JK said there is a very strong comprehensive orientation program for new players during the first two weeks (before start of school?). It is geared to the successful start of college for kids. I don't know if he is talking only about football incoming players only. The academics staff do a very good job of taking players through orientation which includes where to go for classes, expectations, etc... including how to study. It includes the parents of players who are able to be there with the kids.

>Day Thing (was at Canterbury?, Did this even happened already?) is Date Night at Canterbury Downs- On a Thursday night 180 couples participate. Chance to mingle with coaches, staff, and their spouses. Chat about football and watch the races. A very fun time for all.

>Questions brought up about injuries going into practice. JK said there are a few cases of hammies, and what not. It doesn't seem like there are any with significant injuries. He instructed the trainer staff to get them ready for Fall camp.

>Question about open practice days public is invited. JK said they are important and good for folks to come and observe. "This is MN's team". There are not very many colleges who do this. He could not think of the dates that are open, but to look it up on the website.

>The practices are always open to MN HS coaches, and even to small colleges. The coaching staff love to teach and share knowledge. It is good for Gophers Football.

>Questions about recruiting - JK "Things are going well..."

>For Gopher QB Corey Sauter was in for a visit on Friday. Emphasized again that the Gophers have a good relationship with area colleges.

>With David Cobb gone, emphasized three very strong talented backs. Rodrick Williams looked very good in practice. So did Berkley Edwards and Rod Smith. Doesn't seem to worry. He mentioned Jeff Jones as a very talented multiple position player he feels vey good about.

>Replacement for Maxx William? There is good TE depth. Someone will step up. Mentioned a 275-lb. TE (didn't catch the name, could very well be Noah Scarver the Washburn HS transfer from Montana, is Linconl Plsek), Nate Wozniak at 6'9" now 265 lbs, Duke Anyanwu coming off surgery a great athlete. He also mentioned Jerry Gibson , Nick Harte, and Colton Beebe (is he slated to play TE?) who at 265 runs a 4.65-4.7 40. He coached his daddy in college.

>LBs - JK said Jack Lynn is the most underrated player who got better and better. Cody Poock coming off injury. Jonathan Celeste is as good as anyone. He brought up D'Vondre Campbell and said he will go to the NFL.

In parting he said the Gophers have overall good team depth. He feels good as long as they can stay healthy.

Thanks hungan1! Interesting notes about the TE's, it's good to see that Wozniak has bulked up, I'm also interested to see where Beebe lines up (as I thought DT was a lock).

Thanks Hungan! Very good work.

Thanks! Also, where did you purchase your Sid translator? It is excellent.

Great report...yes you're correct no one can replace DL but you made an awesome effort! Thanks!

The chance to watch practice and spend time with coaches and players will cost you $2000. I know one guy who did it last year and he felt it was money well spent.

The Canterbury thing was Date Night with Jerry and Rebecca Kill, which was held Thursday night. My wife and I attended and had a great time. All the coaches and their wives were there and it was a great chance to talk to them about the players and the upcoming season. I can tell you one thing for sure and that is that every coach I talked to was very optimistic about the coming season.

Thanks! Also, where did you purchase your Sid translator? It is excellent.

It is a tough find. Pawn America does not carry dinosaur era vintage equipment in likes of typewriters and dial phones.

the 1st TE mentioned was Plsek.

On the bright side, this might be the first Kill segment in weeks where Sid did not ask if any redshirts will help the team this year. (but, he did ask Vikes' coach Zimmer if anyone from the practice squad would help the team this year......)

Thanks Hung1. The recap is greatly appreciated. I also appreciate your comments and efforts of trying to decode the sayings of Sid. Don't feel bad if you missed a thing or two, I think DL has access to the latest technology for translating everything from Ebonics to Klingon.

image.jpg

the 1st TE mentioned was Plsek.

On the bright side, this might be the first Kill segment in weeks where Sid did not ask if any redshirts will help the team this year. (but, he did ask Vikes' coach Zimmer if anyone from the practice squad would help the team this year......)

Did he ask about the Wayzata players?

As for the Sid translator, his name is Mona

You, DL65, and anyone who listens live to the Sports Huddle with Sid and Dave should receive the Goldy Award. This goes to anyone in the Gopherhole who takes one for the team. And listening to Sid at this point, certainly qualifies.

download.jpg

I feel badly for Sid but agree he is very difficult to listen to.

The chance to watch practice and spend time with coaches and players will cost you $2000. I know one guy who did it last year and he felt it was money well spent.

The Canterbury thing was Date Night with Jerry and Rebecca Kill, which was held Thursday night. My wife and I attended and had a great time. All the coaches and their wives were there and it was a great chance to talk to them about the players and the upcoming season. I can tell you one thing for sure and that is that every coach I talked to was very optimistic about the coming season.

This is very reassuring. We haven't had this much exciting anticipation since Lou Holtz was here serving us koolaid.

Top Bottom