2015-16 late roster additions

beat bucky

Banned
Reaction score
With some late additions, its time to update next season's roster and the expectations thereof...
Curtis Simonson, D. Well, one thing we know is he's from Grand Rapids (shocker!). A recent NAHL graduate, at 6'3" 205 and having scored 4 points in 51 games for the Minnesota Magicians, I think we can assume he's not bringing any offense. Project Curtis as a depth defensive d-man who, barring injuries, is unlikely to see much ice time this season.
Jack Sadek, D. Former Lakeville North blueliner, state H.S. tournament champ and 7th round NHL pick. Has size enough, 6'1" 185, to step into playing time, and as the best all around skater of the freshmen his skills will play well on the big ice sheet. Might be a long shot but I, for one, hope he wins a top 6 spot. Project Jack as a very good college player with Leddy-like potential.
Ryan Norman, F. Shattuck Prep standout which, due to their stacked roster, is no guarantee of greatness. However, the still growing 5'11" 185 forward is a welcome left handed shot who has been a consistent point-a-game scorer. A needed addition to a scoring challenged returning lineup. If he looks good in his limited playing time, I project Ryan as a 3rd or 4th liner, PK guy who could be this year's Bristedt.
...All in all, these three guys make the Gophers 2015-16 lineup much stronger and more dynamic. I especially like the addition of Sadek who, as I stated, is going to be very good, probably sooner than later. If Lucia gets it right, this team should be capable of another tournament appearance, at the least.

Well, considering there's around 60 D1 teams and 16 get in the tournament, those are not very high expectations.

I know, that's why I said having that as a goal doesn't mean much. If they don't make the tournament, I don't know if anyone would have an issue with Lucia retiring.

I know, that's why I said having that as a goal doesn't mean much. If they don't make the tournament, I don't know if anyone would have an issue with Lucia retiring.

I think the expectations for Lucia and the program are fairly well set. No one in the administration expects us to win it all anymore and I'm not sure many in the fan base expect it either. A great prescription for high mediocrity.

I think the expectations for Lucia and the program are fairly well set. No one in the administration expects us to win it all anymore and I'm not sure many in the fan base expect it either. A great prescription for high mediocrity.

If you've been watching college hockey for any amount of time, you realize that the recent trend is against dynasties. Lots of first time NCAA champs with senior laden teams (out of the ECAC). The Big Ten conference has been a joke, Wisconsin picked a bad time to suck wind. Michigan and Michigan St are much worse than they traditionally are and Ohio St remains their normal mediocre self (although I like their coach a lot). For the Gophers to win another title, things will have to fall their way. That's the reality of the current NCAA. Someone has to win, but it could by any of the 16 teams that make the tournament.

This isn't for 2015-16, but Lucia just announced the addition of Northeastern transfer Mike Szmatula for the 2016-17 season. Szmatula has been one of Northeastern's top players the past two seasons and possesses big-time offensive skill. He had 68 points in 73 career games for the Huskies and was considered one of the nation's top recruits two years ago. Adding him to the mix will certainly help offensively in a year.

The reality is you just want to be among the 5 to 10 serious contenders most years (which the Gophers generally are) and then take your chances. But nobody should "expect" titles. That's just setting yourself up for disappointment. Especially in a "one and done" tournament where one bad bounce, a great one game goalie performance by an opponent, or things of that nature can knock you out. Just ask UND fans about that since 2000. You're just not going to see sustained dynasty types of situations these days given the way the pros pluck players out of the college ranks every year, etc. so "expecting" titles is not entirely realistic. You just want to get as many opportunities as you can and hopefully breakthrough on some of them.

There should be quite a bit of talent on the roster.

I see the Gophers as a bubble team this year.

Top Bottom