Gophers picked 12th by Jon Rothstein

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
That's about right.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's about right from the perspective of the known rosters, but we will finish higher. I can feel it in my bones.

I'd have us above Nebraska. The only returning guy worth mentioning is Shields. They have a few talented guys coming in White/Morrow/Watson, but those three have yet to play a minute in the Big Ten.

I'd pick us about 11th right now. Best case to me is 9th. Can't see us being worst than 12th and would be shocked if were better than 9th

I'd pick us about 11th right now. Best case to me is 9th. Can't see us being worst than 12th and would be shocked if were better than 9th

Pretty much where I sit. Can't see sneaking into top 8.

No matter how much of a rebuild Gophers are in, finishing below Penn State and/or Rutgers would merit a serious red flag. No way we can finish worse than either of those two, is there?

Pretty much where I sit. Can't see sneaking into top 8.

No matter how much of a rebuild Gophers are in, finishing below Penn State and/or Rutgers would merit a serious red flag. No way we can finish worse than either of those two, is there?

At the risk of sounding sarcastic, if the Gophers don't win as many games as Penn State or Rutgers, then yes, they can finish with a worse record.

In all seriousness, I have NO idea what to expect from this year's team, so I guess I would not be surprised to see them finish anywhere. I wouldn't be happy - but I wouldn't be surprised, either.

junior =Monson... Norwood bumps him up 40% after team drops like a hot knife through butter. Now with his own players we drop to 12th... Time to clean house at the AD Dept.

Can't argue too much with the prediction, at least for the Gophers, but I think when all the dust settles we'll finish at least a spot or two higher than Rothstein predicts.

I do think he has Ohio State a little low, and Michigan a bit high maybe. Obviously Bo Ryan is still at Wisconsin, which means they likely won't be bad, but it seems like there's not much proven talent there outside of Hayes and Koenig, and I could see Ohio State and/or Illinois finishing above them. I think this coming season will be one of the Big Ten's stronger years.

junior =Monson... Norwood bumps him up 40% after team drops like a hot knife through butter. Now with his own players we drop to 12th... Time to clean house at the AD Dept.

Actually Norwood hasn't bumped him up. The raise was reported long ago by mass media, but it has not occurred to date.

I'm not a numbers expert, but I would guess being picked to finish 12th in a conference called the "The Big Ten" is not a great spot to be.

it would be even worse in the big 12

Hawkeye fans think they going win the Big 10. Of course they live in a dream world. They are due. I think I heard they have not won a conference championship in any sport for 5 year.

Go Gophers

Actually Norwood hasn't bumped him up. The raise was reported long ago by mass media, but it has not occurred to date.

Gotta love it when a clown post a statement only to correct it with his other poster name. Nothing new to you.

Wow, the optimism is just over whelming. I think we will do much better than that, a smothering defense can create a lot of problems for teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know anymore than anyone else when it comes to predicting but I'm confident we'll definitely finish higher than 12th. But having said that, the guys who score gotta stay healthy or we'll be on the bottom. Because there are not too many guys on our team who can score when defended and we do play in the Big Ten.

Anywhere from 9-14 seems like a reasonable prediction for the Gophers given the information (or lack thereof) available about each B1G team for next season. It seems like there is a pretty clear dividing line between the top 8 and the bottom 6 of the conference on paper. I am personally most concerned about how this team will score points. Nate Mason is probably considered our best returning option and he has physical limitations (not particularly big or fast) that will make it tough for him to be successful while being the number one focus of the oppositions defense.

My hope for now is that this team is performing like the 4th/5th/6th best team in the conference by the end of the season and we have a lot of momentum and excitement for the 2016 season at this time next year.

Anywhere from 9-14 seems like a reasonable prediction for the Gophers given the information (or lack thereof) available about each B1G team for next season. It seems like there is a pretty clear dividing line between the top 8 and the bottom 6 of the conference on paper. I am personally most concerned about how this team will score points. Nate Mason is probably considered our best returning option and he has physical limitations (not particularly big or fast) that will make it tough for him to be successful while being the number one focus of the oppositions defense. My hope for now is that this team is performing like the 4th/5th/6th best team in the conference by the end of the season and we have a lot of momentum and excitement for the 2016 season at this time next year.

If we see a lot of Carlos Morris it means that the guys Rich brought in aren't any good and they don't have much potential. This is a transition year so the emphasis should be on getting ready for 2016-2017 and getting the young guys as much experience as possible. As such, I don't think Pitino owes a lot of PT to a juco transfer senior who is undisciplined and doesn't pass the ball, unless there are no other options.

If we see a lot of Carlos Morris it means that the guys Rich brought in aren't any good and they don't have much potential. This is a transition year so the emphasis should be on getting ready for 2016-2017 and getting the young guys as much experience as possible. As such, I don't think Pitino owes a lot of PT to a juco transfer senior who is undisciplined and doesn't pass the ball, unless there are no other options.

Their are going to be plenty of minutes to go around for the young guys to get playing time, regardless of how much Morris plays.

Lots of hate for Morris on this board. We are going to need him this year if we are going exceed expectations. He not the inefficient chucker alot of people make him out to be. Sure he needs to improve his defense, and his shot selection can be questionable at times, he still had a solid first season of D1 ball.

I don't think anyone is "owed" playing time. Given where the Gophers are right now, I have to think that Pitino is going to play the people who give the team the best chance to win. If Morris gives the team the best chance to win, he'll be in the lineup, or at least playing major minutes. If the team has a big lead (or a big deficit), that's where you shift focus to developing younger players, or players who need to work on aspects of their game.

You can't just bag the season and chalk it up as a "transition year." The fans are paying good money for tickets, and they expect to see a competitive team. A poor year in terms of wins and losses does not help sell tickets, and it does not help elevate Pitino's stature as an up-and-coming young coach.

I don't think anyone is "owed" playing time. Given where the Gophers are right now, I have to think that Pitino is going to play the people who give the team the best chance to win. If Morris gives the team the best chance to win, he'll be in the lineup, or at least playing major minutes. If the team has a big lead (or a big deficit), that's where you shift focus to developing younger players, or players who need to work on aspects of their game. You can't just bag the season and chalk it up as a "transition year." The fans are paying good money for tickets, and they expect to see a competitive team. A poor year in terms of wins and losses does not help sell tickets, and it does not help elevate Pitino's stature as an up-and-coming young coach.

Totally agree. Goal is to win every game we can. Period. The notion that building and preparing for 2016 should be a priority in July of 2015 is ridiculous.

We don't have a lot of depth so we will see a lot of Carlos Morris regardless of how the new guys perform.

Scoring

The only guys on the roster who have proven they are capable of a good scoring night versus Big Ten competition are Mason, King and Morris. To think any of those three are not going to play significant minutes, if healthy, is pure folly. We didn't recruit a shooter or a scorer, so the points gotta come from somewhere. Murphy, Dorsey, and McBrayer can maybe score. If they are capable we will be competitive. If at least two of those three can't score it'll be a long season. Dorsey compares himself to Russell Westbrook...if he can play well enough for any of us to see the resemblance...then couple things...most on here won't like him because he's too selfish....and we'll be good.

Good time to get back to overachieving.
I think this needs to be our strategy.If we can do this, we control our own destiny.

We don't have a lot of depth so we will see a lot of Carlos Morris regardless of how the new guys perform.
I hope he is spending the summer working on passing. It would be good to see him add that dimension to his game.

Or maybe Morris improves?

Top Bottom