ESPN: Top fall camp storyline (outside of Ohio State QBs) - MN shifts into high gear

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Austin Ward: Minnesota’s shift into high gear

While the Gophers may not harbor realistic national-title considerations of their own, they could have a significant impact on the race -- starting in Week 1. There aren’t many questions about the strength of the defense, which will boast one of the top secondaries in the conference, but there remains some uncertainty about the new-look, uptempo offense Minnesota spent the spring installing. No matter how stout they might be defensively, if the Gophers are going to get over the hump against high-scoring contenders like TCU in the opener or at Ohio State in November, quarterback Mitch Leidner, wide receiver KJ Maye and a talented stable of running backs are going to have to put up some points. How much more progress the Gophers can make expanding the playbook in August will be crucial to what happens when September arrives. Minnesota is more than capable of winning the Big Ten West despite its tough schedule, but that is largely contingent on the offense helping shoulder the load.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post...fall-camp-storyline-outside-of-ohio-state-qbs

Go Gophers!!

The no-huddle experiment in Spring ball has been overblown IMO. It was used to improve our 2-minute offense and break out a faster pace when necessary, not a shift in offensive philosophy.

The no-huddle experiment in Spring ball has been overblown IMO. It was used to improve our 2-minute offense and break out a faster pace when necessary, not a shift in offensive philosophy.

You heard it hear first. Jaymil says we're going full-blown Air Raid. 60+ attempts per game... Spread the word.

I find it telling how ESPN puts OSU and UM logos up. Where is our brand??? I know its a minor thing but our marketing department should be on their ass about it!

I find it telling how ESPN puts OSU and UM logos up. Where is our brand??? I know its a minor thing but our marketing department should be on their ass about it!

Meh. We got the large picture on top of the article. I'm assuming that's why they didn't put up the smaller graphic.

There is absolutely zero chance that we run an "up tempo" offense.

We will play as slow as humanly possible.

We have 18 different football brands. Can't pick just one.:cool02:

You are correct. Up tempo may mean we actually try to pass a few times in the two minute drill as opposed to running draw plays.

Probably not a zero chance, but I tend to agree. You can practice fast and play slow, but can't practice slow and expect to play fast. I believe it was intended for more situational play and defensive improvements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are correct. Up tempo may mean we actually try to pass a few times in the two minute drill as opposed to running draw plays.

You can practice fast and play slow, but can't practice slow and expect to play fast. I believe it was intended for more situational play and defensive improvements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think I have ever agreed so much with everyone in a thread. Boring [emoji3].

I'd like to see us use the hurry up once in awhile though. If the defense is well rested (maybe right after they force a 3 and out), start a possession running a few quick plays. If it's successful, keep it going throughout the drive. It would especially be effective when our OL is controlling the line of scrimmage. Just a wrinkle we could throw out there once in awhile.

Top Bottom