CPD: Can Minnesota beat Ohio State? A 2 percent chance the Buckeyes could lose

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Chances to beat Ohio State: 2 percent. Snow would help. A year ago, aided by three OSU turnovers amidst the flurries, the Gophers were onside kicking in the final two minutes trying to stay alive in what ended as a 31-24 Buckeye victory in Minneapolis. You don't get to just ignore the turnovers, but Ohio State did outgain Minnesota 489 yards to 303. And the Gophers had running back David Cobb in that game (he's now gone) and threw for just 85 yards, completing 7 of 20 passes.

Ohio State has won nine straight over the Gophers, 25 of the last 26 and 37 of the last 39. Minnesota's only victories over the Buckeyes since Woody Hayes came in 1981 and 2000.

How they could compete with Ohio State: Bring Dilly Bars and bog down the Buckeyes with ice cream. If the Gophers don't want to share the ice cream treat a sideline worker was caught consuming in the snow last year, then defense better do it. The Gophers should have one of the best secondaries in the Big Ten. But trying to score with a team like Ohio State will be a problem.

Projection: Kill has rebuilt the Gophers, posting three straight bowl seasons, in part by taking advantage of problems at other Big Ten programs like Michigan, Nebraska and Iowa. The Gophers beat all three of those teams last year.

But they haven't really picked up an elite win. In Kill's four seasons, the Gophers are 2-10 against top 25 teams, and both wins were over Nebraska teams ranked in the 20s.

Last year, at home, with an effective run game, in the snow, with Ohio State turning the ball over, was the best chance Minnesota could have hoped for. And a win didn't happen. At Ohio Stadium in primetime, it's certainly not going to happen.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/07/can_minnesota_beat_ohio_state.html

Go Gophers!!

Everyone has to grab on to Dilly Bar Dan, eh? Not sure how that really impacts our play, but fine.

Hard to disagree. The lack of a reliable passing game is our glass ceiling.

per the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Chances to beat Ohio State: 2 percent. Snow would help. A year ago, aided by three OSU turnovers amidst the flurries, the Gophers were onside kicking in the final two minutes trying to stay alive in what ended as a 31-24 Buckeye victory in Minneapolis. You don't get to just ignore the turnovers, but Ohio State did outgain Minnesota 489 yards to 303. And the Gophers had running back David Cobb in that game (he's now gone) and threw for just 85 yards, completing 7 of 20 passes.

Ohio State has won nine straight over the Gophers, 25 of the last 26 and 37 of the last 39. Minnesota's only victories over the Buckeyes since Woody Hayes came in 1981 and 2000.

How they could compete with Ohio State: Bring Dilly Bars and bog down the Buckeyes with ice cream. If the Gophers don't want to share the ice cream treat a sideline worker was caught consuming in the snow last year, then defense better do it. The Gophers should have one of the best secondaries in the Big Ten. But trying to score with a team like Ohio State will be a problem.

Projection: Kill has rebuilt the Gophers, posting three straight bowl seasons, in part by taking advantage of problems at other Big Ten programs like Michigan, Nebraska and Iowa. The Gophers beat all three of those teams last year.

But they haven't really picked up an elite win. In Kill's four seasons, the Gophers are 2-10 against top 25 teams, and both wins were over Nebraska teams ranked in the 20s.

Last year, at home, with an effective run game, in the snow, with Ohio State turning the ball over, was the best chance Minnesota could have hoped for. And a win didn't happen. At Ohio Stadium in primetime, it's certainly not going to happen.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/07/can_minnesota_beat_ohio_state.html

Go Gophers!!

This isn't the first time I have seen this rationale. Really, during Kill's tenure, the only Big Ten programs that I believe are significantly "down" are Michigan and Penn State (with MSU being "up") and we haven't really been able to take advantage of PSU during that time. I believe we have just passed (or at least caught up to) Nebraska and Iowa. Seriously, when was the last time Nebraska was consistently dominant? All that being said, I'd say a 2% chance against OSU is being generous.

The Gophers lost by one score in a game where they kicked an onside kick in the final minutes against the national champions and this guy only gives them a 2% chance and a smug, condescending tone? That makes sense.

Ohio State will be he #1 team in the country, but they are also coming off a Championship season. Mind-set of the team is already going to be different. Teams can sometimes be less focused at home as well. Note most of the Gophers Big Wins/Top 10 wins have come on the road. I liked the way we played at Nebraska last year. We were the Husker's only home loss.

It will be interesting to see how we handle all the night games this year. Should be a lot of fun.

2%

????

Look.....OSU is the best team in the nation.......but 2 two percent???? This isn't a scrimmage.

Someone in the comments section of that article made an interesting point that this will be a big game for both OSU and TCU as its the only common opponent each will have. Both teams are likely going to be fighting for a playoff spot.

Sounds about right. The game will be played, and our chance of victory is not zero %, so we have a chance/opportunity. Go Gophers!

The Gophers lost by one score in a game where they kicked an onside kick in the final minutes against the national champions and this guy only gives them a 2% chance and a smug, condescending tone? That makes sense.

This is OSU's MO. They are almost unbearable to try and have a convo with

This isn't the first time I have seen this rationale. Really, during Kill's tenure, the only Big Ten programs that I believe are significantly "down" are Michigan and Penn State (with MSU being "up") and we haven't really been able to take advantage of PSU during that time. I believe we have just passed (or at least caught up to) Nebraska and Iowa. Seriously, when was the last time Nebraska was consistently dominant? All that being said, I'd say a 2% chance against OSU is being generous.

Yep. Gotta start winning some we're not supposed to win...

More importantly, what % chance of winning do we have when we play them in December?

They may have won 37 of 39, but that's about 5% right there.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

If the Plain Dealer will give me 50 to 1 odds, I'd be happy to put down $100 to win $5000. Something tells me that they wouldn't be so optimistic if they had to put their money where their mouth is.

This is OSU's MO. They are almost unbearable to try and have a convo with

Funny, the only taunting I faced while in Orlando for the bowl game was from an OSU fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom