Badgers lose their 4 Star RB recruit

The admission requirements for both schools is almost identical. It's easy to look up and compare. This is a fact. However, both schools have many more applicants than openings and this is where it becomes competitive. However, the number of openings has little to do with athletic scholarships because if they meet the minimum requirements a spot will be found in some program.

There are differences. Look at this http://admissions.tc.umn.edu/academics/profile.html then this https://www.admissions.wisc.edu/assets/pdfs/UW_Freshman_Admissions_Flyer.pdf

Man you guys sure can put a damper on good news. Can't we all just rejoice in the bad fortune and angst in Madison today.

My favorite posts in this thread have to be the ones from the guy who thinks that UMN and UW don't make exceptions for athletes on admissions. Do you really think the majority of players on the football team would have gotten into the U if it weren't for football? Likewise for UW.

As a badger fan, it kinda sucks to see talented kids not get through admissions, but I'm proud that we don't just let anyone with a pulse into the school. Where the real problem lies is if there is a disconnect between admissions and the athletic department on what is required to gain admission. I'm not saying a certain test score or GPA, but after the transcripts are reviewed the admissions department should be able to tell the athletic department that recruit X needs to do Y & Z and he will gain admittance. Sounds like this is where UW has had a very hard time recently.

I think the running back position will be OK for the badgers.

My favorite posts in this thread have to be the ones from the guy who thinks that UMN and UW don't make exceptions for athletes on admissions. Do you really think the majority of players on the football team would have gotten into the U if it weren't for football? Likewise for UW.

That would be me. I'm referring to making an exception for an athlete whose academic credentials are below the minimum requirements each school has set. I don't believe either school will any longer accept them without very extenuating circumstances.

Where exceptions occur is when an athlete is academically eligible, but still wouldn't be admitted because there are enough other students more qualified then them that there wouldn't be room in the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerry Kill makes sure each player's academics are reviewed to assure they have a good chance of gaining admission to the U.

Who is to say WI didn't? Let's not forget we just had an admission problem with a high profile recruit last year. And are rumored to have a high profile '16 recruit on the edge as well.

Who is to say WI didn't? Let's not forget we just had an admission problem with a high profile recruit last year. And are rumored to have a high profile '16 recruit on the edge as well.

I agree. These are kids and no matter how diligent a staff is, some that are offered won't make it.

I agree. These are kids and no matter how diligent a staff is, some that are offered won't make it.

Yep, and some of them can't be admitted because they don't meet the the minimal standards of the NCAA. Yet we make all kinds of conclusions without knowing the facts. But that is what happens when you fall down a GopherHole.

Yep, and some of them can't be admitted because they don't meet the the minimal standards of the NCAA.

Many of these kids meet the NCAA standards, but fall short of the institutional standards. Like x number of years of language, etc.

Many of these kids meet the NCAA standards, but fall short of the institutional standards. Like x number of years of language, etc.

That certainly is correct now. It wasn't always correct when Brewster was here. He would recruit some players that had difficulty meeting the NCAA standards. Now that Kill is running the show we are doing a much better job of evaluating a recruit's academic preparation earlier in the process.

It wasn't an admission issue. It was an NCAA eligibility issue.

I'm not here to talk admission standards...I'm here to talk about wisconsin losing a 4-star RB...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's all

True. Point remains - all schools/coaches, even those that "check into it before offering", run into this issue.

Don't tell wisconsin fans that. They are convinced (and I'm not 100% certain they are wrong) that he met NCAA requirements but fell short of wisconsin's admission standards.

Coaches sometime get caught on kids that are close, but need an achievable GPA, in their final marking term after signing day and fall short.

Coaches sometime get caught on kids that are close, but need an achievable GPA, in their final marking term after signing day and fall short.

Wisconsin clearly lost this idiot because they were waiting on a new ACT score. (unless they're so dumb that they'd string a kid along into believing he could get in and then deny him for no reason).

Again, it's funny to me that UW holds themselves to higher athletic admissions standards than Berkeley, (who let Marshawn Lynch and DeSean Jackson attend), UVA, UCLA, Michigan, etc. when they're not even close to those schools academically

Apparently Stevenson is visiting Nebraska right now.

I'm assuming he doesn't have to get a release from his LOI because he wasn't accepted?
The article said he would be give his release within days. I do believe that schools are required to grant releases if kids can't be admitted.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thats good. Transfer of talent from our archival but still able keep that talent inside the conference. Win-win IMO.

Thats good. Transfer of talent from our archival but still able keep that talent inside the conference. Win-win IMO.

Why exactly is it good that a team we play every year just picked up a 4 star RB? Just makes it that more difficult to win the West. I've never really understood the logic. Sure, it's great to beat a team in the top 10, but last year's win against Michigan felt just as great even though they weren't at their pinnacle.

Why exactly is it good that a team we play every year just picked up a 4 star RB? Just makes it that more difficult to win the West. I've never really understood the logic. Sure, it's great to beat a team in the top 10, but last year's win against Michigan felt just as great even though they weren't at their pinnacle.

I tend to agree with this line of logic.

Couldn't disagree more. A win over a top 5 Michigan/OSU/NEB team is WAYYYYY more satisfying than if they are unranked.

As a Badger fan it sucks to see him join Nebraska as I think he'll be a really good player, but I do like seeing the conference get as much talent as possible.

Couldn't disagree more. A win over a top 5 Michigan/OSU/NEB team is WAYYYYY more satisfying than if they are unranked.

As a Badger fan it sucks to see him join Nebraska as I think he'll be a really good player, but I do like seeing the conference get as much talent as possible.

Too lazy to investigate...why could he get into Cornland but not Badgerville?

Well sure it's more satisfying, but it's usually more likely to win a game when they team isn't in the top 10. If Nebby, Wisky, and Iowa are all ranked in the top 10, sure the Gophers have a chance for some big wins, but that also means that we are likely sitting no better than 4th in the conference. I'd rather win the conference with those squads ranked in the teens to unranked, instead of one top 10 win and a 4th place finish in the Big Ten west.

Shows how great of a school Nebraska is academically. He couldn't get into Wisconsin due to grades but no problem with the Cornholers. He will probably be an academic all-American there.

Top Bottom