Badgers lose their 4 Star RB recruit

Pretty silly that Wisconsin has higher athletic academic admissions than schools that are better academically than them. (Michigan, etc). But hey if they want to keep hemorrhaging their best recruits more power to them

Pretty silly that Wisconsin has higher athletic academic admissions than schools that are better academically than them. (Michigan, etc). But hey if they want to keep hemorrhaging their best recruits more power to them

Look man, I hate UW sports, but let's be honest, UW is a very fine institution, just like the UofM and most B1G schools.

That said, I have nothing but positive thoughts about them losing solid recruits.

Look man, I hate UW sports, but let's be honest, UW is a very fine institution, just like the UofM and most B1G schools.

That said, I have nothing but positive thoughts about them losing solid recruits.
It's absolutely a good school, but they're turning down guys that would get let into Michigan, UVA, or Cal. The fact that athletes admissions standards is the hill they're choosing to die on is pretty funny

One of their 4 star RB recruits. With another lined up for next year. And a good one that will probably be back in 2016. They'll be fine in that department.

One of their 4 star RB recruits. With another lined up for next year. And a good one that will probably be back in 2016. They'll be fine in that department.

Their 4 star 16 RB is not 100% committed to Wisconsin and could bolt to UGA or Auburn. At least the last time I checked that was the case.

To be honest, I do feel bad for a kid that was willing to commit when they didn't even have a HC to get turned down like that but am happy that it happened to Wisconsin. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Hope the kid gets on somewhere else and has a long, fruitful career.

As for Wisconsin, this is schadenfreude-tastic.

+1

In one regard, it's nice to see UW lose out on solid talent. On the other hand, props to UW admissions for holding higher standards and perhaps forcing coaches to go after players that have a high chance to graduate if they stay to get their degree.

Reading some of the badger fan comments, they are screaming for admissions to F off. Again, the point of College football is to field a team of Student-Athletes who get an education while also being able to represent the school on the football field. Yes, there is a debate as to how much of a "student" these players actually are across the country, but once you start lowering admissions standards or ignoring them, you might as well just break off the whole thing into a minor league for the NFL.

Sounds like a decision that someone who can't pass admissions would make.

My thoughts as well. Not a very smart choice when you were never academically accepted into the university.

It's not a bad thing to have some academic standards. Props to UoW for sticking to them.

Keep in mind........the UoM has denied players in the past few years for a number of reasons. Academics included.

When you end up allowing athletic ability to trump all else, you end up like FSU. There's always a story behind the story that isn't told to protect the kid. I have to believe admissions made it very clear on what this kid needed to do in order to get in to Wisconsin and that just wasn't met. At the same time, i'm not always opposed to a slightly lower admissions standard; these kids don't often come from the greatest homes and lacked the support that a lot of the other students received in order to attain admission. Sports can often be the way out, support, and discipline they never had. But, you can't let a kid into a school where he has absolutely no chance to succeed

It's not a bad thing to have some academic standards. Props to UoW for sticking to them.

Keep in mind........the UoM has denied players in the past few years for a number of reasons. Academics included.

Absolutely correct. Last year, I compared Minnesota and Wisconsin admission requirements and they are very close. Their admission statistics are also close. There is no reason to think this player would have been admitted here.

This is on the Wisconsin coaches for not making sure this recruits academics were good enough to get admitted.

Jerry Kill makes sure each player's academics are reviewed to assure they have a good chance of gaining admission to the U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely correct. Last year, I compared Minnesota and Wisconsin admission requirements and they are very close. Their admission statistics are also close.

Out of curiosity did you do this for general students or for athletes?

I used the information provided by each University that covers all students. I realize some colleges make it much easier for athletes to gain admittance. However, I don't think either Minnesota nor Wisconsin make these exceptions.

From the information I found, Minnesota has slightly harder admission requirements (Minnesota needs an additional class in the arts, where that same class can be in any subject for Wisconsin).

I used the information provided by each University that covers all students. I realize some colleges make it much easier for athletes to gain admittance. However, I don't think either Minnesota nor Wisconsin make these exceptions.

I have inside knowledge of the admissions office at the U. We definitely make exceptions lol and so does UW.

From the information I found, Minnesota has slightly harder admission requirements (Minnesota needs an additional class in the arts, where that same class can be in any subject for Wisconsin).

We may have slightly harder requirements overall, but Wisconsin is slightly harder to get into based on GPA and test scores. If you apply to UW you are admitted into the school as a whole. If you apply to the U, you are admitted into a college. These are the College of Science and Engineering, The College of Liberal Arts, the College of Education and Human Development, the College of Design, the College of Liberal Arts, the Carlson School of Management, and the College of Food Agriculture and Natural Resource Sciences.

Some of these schools are as hard or harder to get into than Madison (CSE, CBS, CSOM) the rest of the schools are either slightly below or below UW.

The admission requirements for both schools is almost identical. It's easy to look up and compare. This is a fact. However, both schools have many more applicants than openings and this is where it becomes competitive. However, the number of openings has little to do with athletic scholarships because if they meet the minimum requirements a spot will be found in some program.

As mentioned above, the schools have pretty similar profiles in the freshmen students they admit.

Wisconsin says "We typically see ... a class rank in the 84-97 percentile....Admitted students will typically score between 27-31 on the ACT and 1800-2070 on the SAT, although there is no minimum required score."

US News reports their acceptance rate at 51.1%.

While Minnesota lists their stats by college, the class rank last year ranged from 82 percentile average (Design) to 95 average (Science and Engineering), ACT ranges from 26 average (Education and Human Dev) to 32 average (Science and Engineering), SAT ranges from 1810 (Education and Human Dev) to 2097 (Science and Engineering).

US News reports their acceptance rate at 44.4%.

Top Bottom