CBS: Basketball recruiting in Las Vegas always leads to ridiculous stories

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Parrish:

And the ridiculous stories stack on top of each other.

I've seen men coach with Bluetooths attached to their ears and answer calls mid-game, prospects compete for two different teams on the same day, and there are stories of referees reviewing videos of buzzer-beating jumpers on the cell phones of parents in the bleachers because, I mean, why not? I once attended a low-rent tournament in Georgia where Shabazz Muhammad, a consensus top-five recruit, played in a muggy gym with no air-conditioning because, presumably, somebody paid the summer program, run by Muhammad's felony committing father, to be there. And then there's the time I watched a used car salesman from Memphis -- the great Mark Goodfellow -- coach a team from California led by Jrue Holiday, Larry Drew, David Wear, Travis Wear and Reeves Nelson.

Few years back, a high-major coach was at one tournament and was told a prospect he was pursuing had just performed well at another tournament. So the coach decided to send an encouraging text to that prospect because that's one of the ways coaches recruit these days.

The coach grabbed his phone and tried to send a text that read: "Keep kicking ass."

Only problem: The coach hit 'l' instead of 'k' while trying to type kicking.

Consequently, the text instead read "Keep licking ass." And the coach didn't notice the typo immediately. So there he was, in a gym watching games, while a teenage boy on the other side of the country tried to figure out why he was being instructed to continue ass-licking.

And the best part?

"We signed him," the coach said. "So, apparently, he must have a sense of humor."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-las-vegas-always-leads-to-ridiculous-stories

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom