Big 10 restaurant owner leery of high-rise plan, wants to stay

This would be a major blow to Stadium Village. I just took my kids there yesterday for lunch (I had the turkey sub), before going to the airport to catch our flight back to Los Angeles. Walking in there is like walking back in time. This simply cannot happen.

This would be a major blow to Stadium Village. I just took my kids there yesterday for lunch (I had the turkey sub), before going to the airport to catch our flight back to Los Angeles. Walking in there is like walking back in time. This simply cannot happen.

I will say, with all the renovating thats going on Washington is that I think this is inevitable... That building looks odd now, surrounded by modern buildings and apartments.

Or at least it felt that way.

I mentioned this to a few people at an after-work gathering yesterday, and their eyes just about popped out of their heads. It's hard to believe this is happening.

Maybe they can build around it like in "Up".

...or in the children's book The Little House.

The_Little_House.JPG

This is downright depressing. I know this is a purely economic decision, but I have to ask the question: is this what the students of today want? Maybe they prefer the chains down the block to the older, more unique (and better) places because that's what they grew up with in their suburban strip mall-scapes. Maybe it's just us older alumni who value the Big 10 and the Wok - and the dearly departed Campus Pizza.
I'm glad you think everyone at the u of m is from the suburbs

Any of you ever eat at the Big Ten in Hopkins?

A few times. The BigTen Hopkins is sort of the TGIF version of the BigTen Dinkytown. It has all the pictures and tv's and brick of the original, but none of the old-school charm and tradition.

I'm glad you think everyone at the u of m is from the suburbs

I toured the U yesterday with my daughter, and everyone in our tour group was from the Twin Cities suburbs.

Did the tour guide walk backwards? U's tour guides usually do a great job with prospective students.

Did the tour guide walk backwards? U's tour guides usually do a great job with prospective students.

Yes, they DID walk backwards!

It was a very nice tour. The U has so many more student resources and amenities now than when I went there.

I agree it is a treasure, and I would miss it so much.The hopkins big ten is good but not the real deal.

Don't they regularly trash going to games and gopher sports in general during tours? Thought a few people have mentioned that here in the last year or so.

Don't they regularly trash going to games and gopher sports in general during tours? Thought a few people have mentioned that here in the last year or so.

Hadn't heard that. Disappointing & inexcusable if they do.

This thing about the Big10 is causing some PTSD related to the trauma of losing The Baltimore Lunch. :mad: :cry::p

I had a bunch of friends who were tour guides when I was at the U. I have never heard anything like this...

I do not know about Stadium Village, but the City of Minneapolis really screwed the pooch when they allowed that recent Dinkytown development to falter when they backed away a the last minute. Any business owner in their right mind would want more residents living above those streets willing to spend a lot of money in the neighborhood.

All the misguided nostalgic BS, prevented a blighted parking lot, an ugly concrete block 1970s building, and the Mesa Pizza building from being replaced by a high quality building that would helped the tax base and brought more residents with money to spend to Dinkytown. There was very little historic about what was preserved, but some people decided to draw a line in the sand. It wasn't like they were going to knock anything of much significance, but they still spurned the Doran Companies for no good reason.

If you do not believe me, take a walk around the back of The Library Bar and the area near Mesa Pizza. Yuck, the Metropolitan Building it is not. The Library Building, as ugly as it is, was not part of the deal, just all the dirty surface parking lots and a couple of nothing buildings around those lots.

I do not know about Stadium Village, but the City of Minneapolis really screwed the pooch when they allowed that recent Dinkytown development to falter when they backed away a the last minute. Any business owner in their right mind would want more residents living above those streets willing to spend a lot of money in the neighborhood.

All the misguided nostalgic BS, prevented a blighted parking lot, an ugly concrete block 1970s building, and the Mesa Pizza building from being replaced by a high quality building that would helped the tax base and brought more residents with money to spend to Dinkytown. There was very little historic about what was preserved, but some people decided to draw a line in the sand. It wasn't like they were going to knock anything of much significance, but they still spurned the Doran Companies for no good reason.

If you do not believe me, take a walk around the back of The Library Bar and the area near Mesa Pizza. Yuck, the Metropolitan Building it is not. The Library Building, as ugly as it is, was not part of the deal, just all the dirty surface parking lots and a couple of nothing buildings around those lots.

I like dirty! :rolleyes:

If they get rid of the Big Ten's sub toaster all will be lost! Even at the dinkytown Big Ten location the subs never tasted as good.

+1000

They could go right back in the lower level of a new building... not sure what the big deal is besides the owner is afraid of higher rent, but perhaps greater profit with a improved space.

I go to campus with my niece for coderdojo every other Saturday and we have to go to Big 10. According to the 11 year old it is the greatest sandwich ever and I have a hard time disagreeing. I hope they figure out a way to keep them there. They really need better accessible restrooms in all those old buildings, though. I am not saying that is an excuse, I was merely implying that if they got a new building and Big 10 stayed there I would be happy about two things.

Top Bottom