Philip Nelson

...So after reading your posts, I figured it out. You don't pay attention to detail as you can't even spell his name correctly. It's Philip with one "L" not two.

You think my original post was "massive" which definitely shows you don't read the newspaper. Which is further strengthened as you didn't even know what happened in the trial because you clearly believe he "beat the crap" out of Kolstad.

At least you utilize a tone of conviction as to appear as if you know something I guess?

Nelson is not a tragic hero. No, sir. But after reading some posts on this thread that were clearly unsupported and plainly wrong, I wanted to use stats and the media to clear things up. If you'd like to keep toiling on Gopher Hole and writing one or two sentences to make yourself feel better, then that's your prerogative.

Hyperbole isn't your strong suit. If you don't write the screenplay I'm sure Lifetime will give you an EP credit for "Golden Dreams: The Phillip Nelsen Story".

Ohhh I get it...you're the guy that laughs at his own jokes. Super cute. They do say that sarcasm/hyperbole are excuses for the feeble-minded. You even use it on the Internet in addition to real life. At least you are moving that theory forward because you sure aren't adding anything to this thread.

Oh, and next time you want to question someone's understanding of hyperbole, you should really make sure you're using the word correctly. You see, hyperbole is meant to portray an exaggerated statement, but I wholeheartedly believe that the following is absolutely accurate:

Posting unsupported sentences on Gopher Hole is what gets me out of bed each morning.

Your words, man, not mine. So you can go back to posting super duper hilarious (sarcasm?) one-liners on GH while you slurp another case of Mountain Dew and chow down on a pallet full of Cheetos (hyperbole?). Or turn off the computer, curl up on your couch (which is also probably your bed), and watch Total Recall for the hundredth time (definitely not hyperbole).

I appreciate the part Nelson played in our 4 game winning streak that one year, but we are in better hands with Leidner. Nelson is an unstable person.

I'm really confused by you, Kuato. First you say you're disappointed PN left. Then you say he "beat the crap" out of Kolstad when the 3 medical reports (one PAID FOR BY THE KOLSTADS) used in the trial and readily available via news sources show PN caused zero of Kolstad's brain damage...Finally you play the sarcastic "victim" card?

It isn't biased when medical reports show PN did nothing in the fight to cause Kolstad's brain damage. Even in my original post I said Nelson made a bad choice to drink underage that night. I also said he had rough games in his career. Also said he might not even crack the starting lineup again in college wherever he ends up and will not go to the NFL.

So, Kuato, why don't you try typing more than two unsupported sentences and then feeling good about yourself?

Kuato, you write one or two sentences per post and must feel mighty proud that your brain worked for another day.
Still doesn't excuse PN for kicking him in the head while he was down. I said at the time and you can go through that thread that PN better pray that parkers punch is the one that did kolsted in. on was lucky

Beyond me how some of you care this much about a guy that hasn't played for the gophers in how long? A year and a half? Why do you need to get this thread to 5 pages in only three days?

Normally, I would not give a post that long a second look. However, you rarely see an epistle of that magnitude scribed on a message board. I was moved by the passion of the writer yet found myself giggling intermittently throughout the read. Did A.J. Barker's mom's best friend finally pick up the pen and defend another former Gopher? No matter. The real reason Phil left was that he realized he would never fill the shoes of the greatest Gopher QB of all time: Adam (Four Coordinators) Weber.

Still doesn't excuse PN for kicking him in the head while he was down. I said at the time and you can go through that thread that PN better pray that parkers punch is the one that did kolsted in. on was lucky

1) Are you excusing Kolstad for punching PN first?
2) Again, PN did not cause any harm to Kolstad. That is why the first- and third-degree felonies were dropped to a fifth-degree misdemeanor. This is akin to expecting a hellish monsoon and receiving a single rain drop instead.
3) Who is Parker? Trevor Shelley was the third man involved that threw the punch.

Ohhh I get it...you're the guy that laughs at his own jokes. Super cute. They do say that sarcasm/hyperbole are excuses for the feeble-minded. You even use it on the Internet in addition to real life. At least you are moving that theory forward because you sure aren't adding anything to this thread.

Oh, and next time you want to question someone's understanding of hyperbole, you should really make sure you're using the word correctly. You see, hyperbole is meant to portray an exaggerated statement, but I wholeheartedly believe that the following is absolutely accurate:

Your words, man, not mine. So you can go back to posting super duper hilarious (sarcasm?) one-liners on GH while you slurp another case of Mountain Dew and chow down on a pallet full of Cheetos (hyperbole?). Or turn off the computer, curl up on your couch (which is also probably your bed), and watch Total Recall for the hundredth time (definitely not hyperbole).

Moon Mist! I better stop now I think your head is going to explode.

I could just as easily say his last three games (WI, MI St and bowl game) was the real PN9. Overall, he was 15-48, 0 TD and 2 INT.

He did well his freshman season, considering the circumstances. The problem is, his sophomore season saw little improvement when he came in as the annointed starter. Yes, injuries played a factor (they always do). But he opened the door for ML7 during the season and left it wide open after those last three clunkers..

One of the first things I thought of too. While some of the things he said are true, he conveniently left out the bad stuff. You can even go further and combine his stats for the UNLV, New Mexico St., Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan St. and Syracuse games. His numbers were 45-109 with 2 TD and 6 INT. How do we know this isn't "THE REAL PHILIP NELSON"?

Nelson did some good things but also had some very bad stretches as well.

1) Are you excusing Kolstad for punching PN first?
2) Again, PN did not cause any harm to Kolstad. That is why the first- and third-degree felonies were dropped to a fifth-degree misdemeanor. This is akin to expecting a hellish monsoon and receiving a single rain drop instead.
3) Who is Parker? Trevor Shelley was the third man involved that threw the punch.

1 no I am not
2 no **** sherlock but it still doesntcexcuse on for kicking a guy in the back of the head. Neither of these are guys are angels but to say on did nothing wrong is laughable.

1 no I am not
2 no **** sherlock but it still doesntcexcuse on for kicking a guy in the back of the head. Neither of these are guys are angels but to say on did nothing wrong is laughable.

A push and a kick

Nelson pleaded guilty on Jan. 21 to fifth-degree assault, a misdemeanor. Felony charges that could have sent him to prison for 20 years were dropped.

Nelson admitted to the lesser charge after a prosecutor’s medical expert said that his kick did not lead to Kolstad’s severe brain injury. The expert said the victim’s injuries were mainly, if not all, from being punched in the head by Trevor Shelley, of St. Peter, Minn., and hitting his head when he fell.

Shelley, a high school classmate of Nelson’s at Mankato West, faces felony charges.

The fight began in downtown Mankato around 2 a.m. when an angry Nelson shoved Kolstad after mistaking him for a bouncer who had kissed his girlfriend, according to a witness interview.

Kolstad then knocked Nelson to the ground, but as Kolstad walked away, Shelley allegedly punched Kolstad in the head. Video shows Kolstad falling and smacking his head on the pavement. Nelson then kicked a prone Kolstad in the head.

Soon after the brawl, Nelson was removed from the football team at Rutgers University. He had transferred there from the University of Minnesota, where he had played for two years. His lawyer said Monday that Nelson has spent the past 10 months living at home with his parents. His football future remains unclear.

http://www.startribune.com/no-jail-time-for-philip-nelson-in-kolstad-beating/294665951/

A push and a kick

Nelson pleaded guilty on Jan. 21 to fifth-degree assault, a misdemeanor. Felony charges that could have sent him to prison for 20 years were dropped.

Nelson admitted to the lesser charge after a prosecutor’s medical expert said that his kick did not lead to Kolstad’s severe brain injury. The expert said the victim’s injuries were mainly, if not all, from being punched in the head by Trevor Shelley, of St. Peter, Minn., and hitting his head when he fell.

Shelley, a high school classmate of Nelson’s at Mankato West, faces felony charges.

The fight began in downtown Mankato around 2 a.m. when an angry Nelson shoved Kolstad after mistaking him for a bouncer who had kissed his girlfriend, according to a witness interview.

Kolstad then knocked Nelson to the ground, but as Kolstad walked away, Shelley allegedly punched Kolstad in the head. Video shows Kolstad falling and smacking his head on the pavement. Nelson then kicked a prone Kolstad in the head.

Soon after the brawl, Nelson was removed from the football team at Rutgers University. He had transferred there from the University of Minnesota, where he had played for two years. His lawyer said Monday that Nelson has spent the past 10 months living at home with his parents. His football future remains unclear.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/s3721416.shtml

Former Minnesota Gophers quarterback Philip Nelson won’t spend time in jail for his role in a fight that left another man with a severe brain injury.

Nelson pleaded guilty in January to a misdemeanor for kicking former Mankato State linebacker Isaac Kolstad in the head back in May. As part of the plea deal, felony charges were dropped.

Nelson's attorney, James Fleming, said three doctors had reported a "lack of medical certainty" as to whether Nelson's kick caused Kolstad's critical brain injury, so Fleming filed a motion for dismissal of the charges. Instead, a plea agreement was reached and the two felony assault charges were dismissed, Fleming said.

On Monday, Nelson was sentenced to two days in jail, which he has already served. He will have to pay a $300 fine, complete six hours of a chemical awareness program and complete 100 hours of community service. He must also have no contact with Kolstad.
Nelson has a year to complete the hours.

Witnesses told investigators that Nelson shoved Kolstad, a 2013 graduate, after mistaking him for a bouncer who had kissed his girlfriend. Kolstad knocked Nelson to the ground, but as he walked away, a third man punched Kolstad in the head. Surveillance video shows Kolstad dropping to the ground and his head smacking the pavement. Nelson then kicked Kolstad in the head

I appreciate the part Nelson played in our 4 game winning streak that one year, but we are in better hands with Leidner.

I think Leidner is a capable QB. He's big and rugged, plays through injuries (MCL sprain, cracked ribs, etc) which is admirable. A little scary to have our QB always nicked up. Especially since we run him so much. Hopefully we find ourselves playing on January 1st again this year and coming out with a W finally.

As far as being in better hands the stats (if you want to go purely analytical) are startlingly similar between PN and ML. PN's record was 9-9, ML's is 8-6. Similar TD passes, completion %, pass YDS, and turnovers (fumbles + INTs). Where ML separates himself is his ability to drag defenders when rushing. As long as he fixes his fumbling woes, I think he could break his personal records this year for yards and TDs. Kinda glad we have Streveler behind him too. Liked him in his limited play last year. Seems like he has a good arm.

Anyway, I still think PN has the ability to effective wherever he ends up. ECU or otherwise. I hope the Gophs continue the upward trajectory with the subtractions of Cobb and Williams.

Absolutely no chance this is true.

You're naive if you think Jerry Kill doesn't play the same game every other coach plays. That first year, when the program was down, Jerry pulled a rabbit out of his hat landing Nelson. No one thought Nelson would come to Minnesota, no one. It was a huge coup & it gave Kill the perfect QB for the style he had planned to run at the time. It also changed the perception of the program, gave Kill something to sell & made it socially acceptable for other recruits to commit to the Gophers as well. We all know Nelson's Dad was heavily involved in the recruitment of his son & was determined to get the best deal possible for his son. There's no reason to think some promises weren't made to rope him in. Obviously I have no proof, this is not a court case. I'm talking common sense & common practices. Coaches do what they have to do to get players in the door, especially a hot-shot QB that is viewed as the savior of the program.

A push and a kick

Kolstad was looking for a fight & he got more than he bargained for. Kolstad sought out Nelson knowing he was in an agitated state to allegedly "congratulate him" on quitting the team & transferring to Rutgers. Kolstad, a football player from a rival Mankato High School sees Nelson on the street, upset & agitated & decides to go over to "congratulate him" on his situation? Yea right, lol. Kolstad went over there to mess with Nelson. Then Kolstad cowardly started insulting Nelson girlfriend. Maybe when I see you and your wife at a ame I'll insult her a few times in front of you & see how you like it? Nelson lost his cool and shoved Kolstad at that point. No crime comitted. Then Nelson did the right thing & de-escalated the situation by turning and walking away from the confrontation. Kolstad, in cowardly fashion AGAIN got a run at the smaller Nelson and sucker punched him from behind to start the fight. Nelson was no angel. He kicked Kolstad when he was down. Kolstad was equally, or more culpable though. As I've said from the get-go, just two big, drunk jocks, being big, drunk jocks.

The vitriol aimed at nelson, even a year and a half later, after Nelson did some really good things for the program is a real head scratcher. He's become the Tim Brewster of former QB's, where you literally can't say anything positive without the usual suspects flooding in to bad mouth him. I hope Adam Weber sends Nelson a Christmas present for taking the "most hated Gopher QB" title off his hands.

You're naive if you think Jerry Kill doesn't play the same game every other coach plays. That first year, when the program was down, Jerry pulled a rabbit out of his hat landing Nelson. No one thought Nelson would come to Minnesota, no one. It was a huge coup & it gave Kill the perfect QB for the style he had planned to run at the time. It also changed the perception of the program, gave Kill something to sell & made it socially acceptable for other recruits to commit to the Gophers as well. We all know Nelson's Dad was heavily involved in the recruitment of his son & was determined to get the best deal possible for his son. There's no reason to think some promises weren't made to rope him in. Obviously I have no proof, this is not a court case. I'm talking common sense & common practices. Coaches do what they have to do to get players in the door, especially a hot-shot QB that is viewed as the savior of the program.

So you don't know. Gotcha.

The vitriol aimed at nelson, even a year and a half later, after Nelson did some really good things for the program is a real head scratcher. He's become the Tim Brewster of former QB's, where you literally can't say anything positive without the usual suspects flooding in to bad mouth him. I hope Adam Weber sends Nelson a Christmas present for taking the "most hated Gopher QB" title off his hands.

Usually guys that quit a program and transfer to another school in the same conference are revered. Consider head scratched.

A push and a kick

http://www.startribune.com/no-jail-time-for-philip-nelson-in-kolstad-beating/294665951/

Kolstad was looking for a fight & he got more than he bargained for. Kolstad sought out Nelson knowing he was in an agitated state to allegedly "congratulate him" on quitting the team & transferring to Rutgers. Kolstad, a football player from a rival Mankato High School sees Nelson on the street, upset & agitated & decides to go over to "congratulate him" on his situation? Yea right, lol. Kolstad went over there to mess with Nelson. Then Kolstad cowardly started insulting Nelson girlfriend. Maybe when I see you and your wife at a ame I'll insult her a few times in front of you & see how you like it? Nelson lost his cool and shoved Kolstad at that point. No crime comitted. Then Nelson did the right thing & de-escalated the situation by turning and walking away from the confrontation. Kolstad, in cowardly fashion AGAIN got a run at the smaller Nelson and sucker punched him from behind to start the fight. Nelson was no angel. He kicked Kolstad when he was down. Kolstad was equally, or more culpable though. As I've said from the get-go, just two big, drunk jocks, being big, drunk jocks.

How are these two stories so completely different?

I'm glad this piece of trash is off the Gophers football team. It really doesn't matter who started the "fight", kicking a motionless man in the head when he is on the ground means you are a scum of a human.

Phil Nelson is never going to play QB for the Gophers again. Let it go.

He wasn't the greatest QB in gopher history - and he wasn't the worst QB in history. Like most players, he was somewhere in the middle.
There were things he did well, and things he didn't do as well.

If Nelson had been an all-world QB, there would have been no question about the starting job. Nelson's level of play opened the door for Leidner. If Nelson had played better, Leidner might not have seen the field until his junior year.

My position is this - I want the starting QB to play well and help the team win games. When Nelson was the starting QB, I rooted for him to play well. Now that Leidner is the QB, I root for him to play well. And if Leidner gets hurt, quits, or joins the Moonies, then I will root for the next QB to play well.

So you don't know. Gotcha.

Yes, that's what I said. Just as anyone who says Coach Kill would never make promises to a top recruit doesn't know. What I do know is Coach Kill is a football coach that wants to win & desperately needed a franchise QB at that time. The Nelson's showed zero inclination of becoming Gophers & Kill had to have him for many reasons. So again, it's not unreasonable to believe some promises may have been made & not kept. There are two sides to every story & we've only heard one. The one the homers want to believe.

I realize landing Nelson at the time was a big deal, but it's not like he had a bunch of other great schools after him. People like to say he chose us over Wisconsin but that just isn't the case. Nelson played his freshman year because of injuries, not because he was promised anything.

"Fleming also circled back again to evidence that shows Kolstad threw the first punch and that he taunted Nelson by claiming to have slept with his girlfriend."

http://www.startribune.com/philip-nelson-s-attorney-says-charges-should-be-dismissed/283774521/

Fleming, Nelson's attorney said that back in November 2014, before the trial when the facts were presented.

You gotta still be trolling right? Either that or you have some kind of personal connection to Nelson, though you're not helping him. Nah, you gotta just be trolling for clicks. Again. :rolleyes:

If Kolstad approached Nelson outside that bar to "congratulate" him & then insulted his girlfriend, would it change your mind at all?

I don't have my mind made up on anything. I don't really care all that much, it's just kind of a he said she said conversation you guys have going. What the paper says and what you say happened are completely different stories.

Top Bottom