Philip Nelson

my thoughts on Nelson and my opinions

Out of HS i was excited for him to wear the colors. he seemed to have the skills that would be great for the U. he was an important get for Kill as he was highly regarded and an instate recruit and We needed to Lock the boarders up.

He came in and to no fault of his own was thrust-ed into game time as a freshman and was not ready. he struggled with many areas of play(passing was not great, he seemed slow due to having the experience at this level[Mankato is a far cry from BigTen] his decision making was not great for running Kills offense) but many of these issues could be explained and overcome with experience.
came in as a True Sophomore and did not improve that much got dinged up and Mitch came in and did decent for a RSFreshman with many issues that occur with Freshmen. Nelson I think started 7 games and was not lights out better and by the end of the year(bowl game i attended in person) Mitch outplayed him and Kill said open competition for the Starting QB position.

that was not what Phil or his handlers wanted to hear and they decided to bolt to find a better place to play, Rutgers accepted his transfer until that 30 second brain fart that Phil had in the street after he had been drinking(under age i think) and started his life down a spiral of issues

I am sure he has matured and what he has gone through with his legal issues should have made him grow up quite a bit. he still had questionable skills but many that experience should have helped with.

This

and

I have no inside information. Only an opinion based on what I read and saw from afar. That being said, my take on his departure was the same as a lot of what I have seen written here: He came in as a can't miss hot shot recruit and ended up in a dog fight for the starting role with a much less hyped player. At that point, it seemed as though his choices were between hard nosed competition or fleeing to a situation where he wouldn't have to compete for a starting role. He left.

Really felt bad about how his career unfolded here because I was really excited about him as a Gopher. For me personally, I had generally felt better when he was under center and I maintained that opinion until he struggled so badly in that bowl game. That is when I started to doubt his ability. He rode out of town before that initial doubt could grow into my opinion officially turning to ML7 as being the better QB. His departure certainly enabled me to fast track that opinion.

This

He was a young QB, running an offense that wasn't right for him, who played good, but not great. He later had an unfortunate incident that he was guilty of, but was no some one-sided attack, but rather a street fight gone wrong. I think he'd be a perfect for for ECU.

You have a very generous definition of "good." I remember a tiny sprinkling of good, on top of a large helping of mediocre, served with a giant entree of yuck. At times I thought he was throwing with the wrong arm.

Nelson - An unbiased and (actually) researched answer

in a word i would say average

I know this post looks long, but please read it and think about my points.

ECU should be excited and hopeful. After two years at the U of M, Nelson has a lot to prove and a fresh start. He was a huge recruit for the Gophers and was Mr. Football for the state of Minnesota -- and that wasn't by mistake or luck. He earned it through hard work (football camps, workouts, leadership, etc.). His commitment to the U of M led to other highly-touted recruits committing to the maroon and gold which revitalized the program. Prior to Nelson joining the squad, the program was in shambles and the team hadn't been to a bowl game since 2009. Yes, Kill and the program's newfound dedication to success was also a significant factor in the turnaround, but without Philip committing, who knows if other players would have gone to the Gophers (i.e. Maxx Williams)?

As far as the recruiting process goes, Nelson had numerous offers/interest from better colleges (i.e. Wisconsin and Nebraska). Wishing to stay loyal to the state that he carved out his illustrious HS career in, Nelson chose the Gophers. He could've easily followed in his father's footsteps and gone to Madison, but he didn't. Heavily recruited by Kill and Limegrover (and I mean HEAVILY as evidenced by Limegrover crying tears of joy once Nelson committed to the program), Nelson was on the up and up and so was the program.

Some of you question his skill, his mental toughness, and his leadership. You want to talk about those attributes? Let's examine three crucial items below: (1) Leaving HS early, (2) First career start(s), and (3) Coach Kill's seizures...

1) Nelson left HS early (leaving behind friends and family) to go to the U. Are people seriously questioning his attitude? That's commitment and dedication right there. The kid was barely 18, in unfamiliar territory with a new coaching staff, and the weight of the world on his shoulders. Anyone in this thread think they could go to two-a-days as an 18 year-old at the D1 level with a bunch of experienced vets and hold their own? Didn't think so. Nelson went to the U and was a quiet leader from day one (unlike Mitch Liedner who always calls attention to himself in the papers). His teammates said so. His coaches said so. Go back and read the articles from the Star Tribune. Don't question Nelson's attitude if you don't know what was going on behind the scenes. You all only saw what was on the field. That's a small fraction of what actually occurs on a daily basis.

2) Nelson's redshirt was lifted against the Badgers halfway through that first season as Marquis Grey was ineffective at QB. In his first game, Nelson tossed 2 TDs and 2 INTs. Excellent for his first start as a true freshmen against a powerhouse team behind a porous offensive line and with limited talent around him (starting RB was Kirkwood - woof - and starting WR was Barker - meh). Nelson was the leading rusher for the game, he made good adjustments at the line, and he went toe-to-toe with Montee Ball, Jared Abrederris, and Chris Borland in front of 80,000 fans in enemy territory. Again, if you think this guy is mentally weak or is a "headcase," you are kidding yourself and don't understand the meanings of those words.

3) Finally, not only did Philip commit to a struggling school and remain loyal to the state of Minnesota and leave HS early, as well as produce as a true freshman, but he also had to deal with Coach Kill's seizures. Can you imagine being in the middle of an intense game and your coach is lying on the ground unconscious? That happened MULTIPLE times. The players were worried, knocked off their game, and a new play-caller would have to step in and work with Philip. Guaranteed no other 18-year-old had to deal with that. And for Nelson to go 2-2 in his first four starts with 615 yards passing, 6 TDs, and 2 INTs is nothing short of a miracle. The fact the Gophers got into a bowl game with a true freshman, a team limited in talent, and an ill head coach is amazing. Respect that. Don't have unrealistic standards. This is just a game of football, not the be-all, end-all of life. Have fun, respect that kids, and watch the game.

So, overall, Nelson was thrust into a starting role for a program in flux with a head coach constantly battling an illness. He had his redshirt lifted halfway through the season and played with guys limited in skill. Nelson should've been holding the clipboard that first season, but with the pressure to succeed, Kill lifted the redshirt and Nelson had to instead hold his own and lead a school to victory. He did just that. It doesn't matter what happened in the bowl game that year. Gopher fans should've just been happy they were getting bonus football for the first time in years. The team nearly won and Nelson tossed two TDs. It's clear that as a freshman, Nelson could lead and win. What else would you want in a QB, ECU?

Nelson's sophomore season was turbulent. A hot start to the non-conference season soon gave way to concussions and hamstring injuries limiting him in games against Western Illinois and Iowa. He didn't even play against San Jose State and Michigan. Nelson, and the ream, were in the lowest of lows when they played at the Big House. Against the Wolverines, Leidner started. The result? A 42-13 loss where Leidner tossed a pick six and fumbled. The next game against Northwestern, Leidner was yanked. Nelson, now fully healed, came in and tossed a TD, managed the offense, and the Gophers won the game. This was a HUGE turning point in the season. If the Gophers lost that game, the season would've been hopeless. They'd be on a three-game losing streak with their head coach on indefinite leave with his seizures and Leidner at QB. Instead, Nelson's heroics led to a four-game winning streak with wins over Northwestern, Nebraska, Indiana, and Penn State as he threw for 748 yards, 7 TDs, and zero INTs in that span. THIS IS THE REAL PHILIP NELSON. ECU, YOU SHOULD BE EXCITED.

The last three games of that season were tough. Nelson was pulled, Leidner was in but ineffective (except the bowl game), David Cobb cooled off, the defense looked tired, the coaches were rumored to be fighting over play calls and players...

Soon after the bowl game, Nelson decided to transfer to Rutgers. There was dissension between the coaching staff. Half of them wanted Nelson to start, the other half wanted Leidner. It was a confusing and frustrating time. His confidence was pierced. Did Nelson not save the season with that four-game winning streak where he was nearly perfect in conference play? I'm sure he felt abandoned when he had some tough play toward the end of the season. Maybe all he needed was a boost of confidence from the coaches. Instead it's rumored Limegrover had an agenda to get Leidner to be the starter and verbally bullied Nelson.

But Nelson, nonetheless, got the Gophers to a second bowl game in his two years with the program. Now Kill/Limegrover announce the starting job is open once the season came to a close? That would hurt anyone. At that point it isn't even ego or pride on the line. That's a player who gave everything he had to the Gophers and after a couple poor performances was given zero credit. Like it never happened. So a transfer to a pass-oriented Rutgers team was appropriate. Nelson did not abandon the U, the U abandoned Nelson. It certainly wasn't quitting or mental weakness.

But before Nelson's career at Rutgers could get underway, he was involved in a street-brawl. Reading through this thread I think most commenters are confused as to what happened and who did what. If you watch the video, read the testimonies, and followed the trial, Isaac Kolstad was the aggressor. He sucker-punched Nelson in the back of the head and sent him sprawling to the pavement where Nelson hit his head. Keep in mind that Nelson is 6'2'' and 230 lbs so sending him to the ground meant it was a hard hit. Nelson was immediately concussed (as well as previously intoxicated). A third man (not friends with Nelson) punched Kolstad and knocked him out cold. Kolstad's head hit the pavement and caused extreme brain damage. Video shows Nelson making a kicking motion at Kolstad once on the ground but it was proven by three separate and objective medical doctors -- one paid for by the Kolstad's, one paid for by the state, and one paid for by the Nelsons -- that even if Nelson connected with Kolstad's head, he was not the cause of the brain damage. The damage was from the punch by the third man and the resulting fall onto the pavement. Nelson was originally charged (by an over-zealous DA in an election year) with first- and third-degree felonies. By the end of the trial he pled guilty to a fifth-degree misdemeanor. No jail time. That is a far cry from his original charge. And why is that? Because Nelson did not cause the harm to Kolstad or start the fight. Nelson is not a thug. He is not a troubled jock or a vile person. He is a quiet kid who loves football but made a bad decision that night to go out to the bars in his hometown. He learned a lesson and has since been punished. Time to move on people. Kolstad has recovered and can now run, work, and hold his children (even above his head while walking on pavement as shown on his Facebook page). We all wish him well in his recovery but he did start the fight and is now feeling the effects of that. Meanwhile, the third man that punched Kolstad is still awaiting trial.

In conclusion, ECU has an extremely-skilled player on their roster in Philip Nelson. He has experience, an unparalleled work ethic, he has been humbled, and he has fought tooth and nail to get where he is today. Given a chance, I think he will succeed and lead ECU. Whether that is this year or next year, we will have to wait and see. In the meantime, just enjoy football and root hard.

Bombastic that might be the most bias revisionist post I've ever read on here.

ECU should be excited and hopeful. After two years at the U of M, Nelson has a lot to prove and a fresh start. He was a huge recruit for the Gophers and was Mr. Football for the state of Minnesota -- and that wasn't by mistake or luck. He earned it through hard work (football camps, workouts, leadership, etc.). His commitment to the U of M led to other highly-touted recruits committing to the maroon and gold which revitalized the program. Prior to Nelson joining the squad, the program was in shambles and the team hadn't been to a bowl game since 2009. Yes, Kill and the program's newfound dedication to success was also a significant factor in the turnaround, but without Philip committing, who knows if other players would have gone to the Gophers (i.e. Maxx Williams)?

As far as the recruiting process goes, Nelson had numerous offers/interest from better colleges (i.e. Wisconsin and Nebraska). Wishing to stay loyal to the state that he carved out his illustrious HS career in, Nelson chose the Gophers. He could've easily followed in his father's footsteps and gone to Madison, but he didn't. Heavily recruited by Kill and Limegrover (and I mean HEAVILY as evidenced by Limegrover crying tears of joy once Nelson committed to the program), Nelson was on the up and up and so was the program.

Some of you question his skill, his mental toughness, and his leadership. You want to talk about those attributes? Let's examine three crucial items below: (1) Leaving HS early, (2) First career start(s), and (3) Coach Kill's seizures...

1) Nelson left HS early (leaving behind friends and family) to go to the U. Are people seriously questioning his attitude? That's commitment and dedication right there. The kid was barely 18, in unfamiliar territory with a new coaching staff, and the weight of the world on his shoulders. Anyone in this thread think they could go to two-a-days as an 18 year-old at the D1 level with a bunch of experienced vets and hold their own? Didn't think so. Nelson went to the U and was a quiet leader from day one (unlike Mitch Liedner who always calls attention to himself in the papers). His teammates said so. His coaches said so. Go back and read the articles from the Star Tribune. Don't question Nelson's attitude if you don't know what was going on behind the scenes. You all only saw what was on the field. That's a small fraction of what actually occurs on a daily basis.

2) Nelson's redshirt was lifted against the Badgers halfway through that first season as Marquis Grey was ineffective at QB. In his first game, Nelson tossed 2 TDs and 2 INTs. Excellent for his first start as a true freshmen against a powerhouse team behind a porous offensive line and with limited talent around him (starting RB was Kirkwood - woof - and starting WR was Barker - meh). Nelson was the leading rusher for the game, he made good adjustments at the line, and he went toe-to-toe with Montee Ball, Jared Abrederris, and Chris Borland in front of 80,000 fans in enemy territory. Again, if you think this guy is mentally weak or is a "headcase," you are kidding yourself and don't understand the meanings of those words.

3) Finally, not only did Philip commit to a struggling school and remain loyal to the state of Minnesota and leave HS early, as well as produce as a true freshman, but he also had to deal with Coach Kill's seizures. Can you imagine being in the middle of an intense game and your coach is lying on the ground unconscious? That happened MULTIPLE times. The players were worried, knocked off their game, and a new play-caller would have to step in and work with Philip. Guaranteed no other 18-year-old had to deal with that. And for Nelson to go 2-2 in his first four starts with 615 yards passing, 6 TDs, and 2 INTs is nothing short of a miracle. The fact the Gophers got into a bowl game with a true freshman, a team limited in talent, and an ill head coach is amazing. Respect that. Don't have unrealistic standards. This is just a game of football, not the be-all, end-all of life. Have fun, respect that kids, and watch the game.

So, overall, Nelson was thrust into a starting role for a program in flux with a head coach constantly battling an illness. He had his redshirt lifted halfway through the season and played with guys limited in skill. Nelson should've been holding the clipboard that first season, but with the pressure to succeed, Kill lifted the redshirt and Nelson had to instead hold his own and lead a school to victory. He did just that. It doesn't matter what happened in the bowl game that year. Gopher fans should've just been happy they were getting bonus football for the first time in years. The team nearly won and Nelson tossed two TDs. It's clear that as a freshman, Nelson could lead and win. What else would you want in a QB, ECU?

Nelson's sophomore season was turbulent. A hot start to the non-conference season soon gave way to concussions and hamstring injuries limiting him in games against Western Illinois and Iowa. He didn't even play against San Jose State and Michigan. Nelson, and the ream, were in the lowest of lows when they played at the Big House. Against the Wolverines, Leidner started. The result? A 42-13 loss where Leidner tossed a pick six and fumbled. The next game against Northwestern, Leidner was yanked. Nelson, now fully healed, came in and tossed a TD, managed the offense, and the Gophers won the game. This was a HUGE turning point in the season. If the Gophers lost that game, the season would've been hopeless. They'd be on a three-game losing streak with their head coach on indefinite leave with his seizures and Leidner at QB. Instead, Nelson's heroics led to a four-game winning streak with wins over Northwestern, Nebraska, Indiana, and Penn State as he threw for 748 yards, 7 TDs, and zero INTs in that span. THIS IS THE REAL PHILIP NELSON. ECU, YOU SHOULD BE EXCITED.

The last three games of that season were tough. Nelson was pulled, Leidner was in but ineffective (except the bowl game), David Cobb cooled off, the defense looked tired, the coaches were rumored to be fighting over play calls and players...

Soon after the bowl game, Nelson decided to transfer to Rutgers. There was dissension between the coaching staff. Half of them wanted Nelson to start, the other half wanted Leidner. It was a confusing and frustrating time. His confidence was pierced. Did Nelson not save the season with that four-game winning streak where he was nearly perfect in conference play? I'm sure he felt abandoned when he had some tough play toward the end of the season. Maybe all he needed was a boost of confidence from the coaches. Instead it's rumored Limegrover had an agenda to get Leidner to be the starter and verbally bullied Nelson.

But Nelson, nonetheless, got the Gophers to a second bowl game in his two years with the program. Now Kill/Limegrover announce the starting job is open once the season came to a close? That would hurt anyone. At that point it isn't even ego or pride on the line. That's a player who gave everything he had to the Gophers and after a couple poor performances was given zero credit. Like it never happened. So a transfer to a pass-oriented Rutgers team was appropriate. Nelson did not abandon the U, the U abandoned Nelson. It certainly wasn't quitting or mental weakness.

But before Nelson's career at Rutgers could get underway, he was involved in a street-brawl. Reading through this thread I think most commenters are confused as to what happened and who did what. If you watch the video, read the testimonies, and followed the trial, Isaac Kolstad was the aggressor. He sucker-punched Nelson in the back of the head and sent him sprawling to the pavement where Nelson hit his head. Keep in mind that Nelson is 6'2'' and 230 lbs so sending him to the ground meant it was a hard hit. Nelson was immediately concussed (as well as previously intoxicated). A third man (not friends with Nelson) punched Kolstad and knocked him out cold. Kolstad's head hit the pavement and caused extreme brain damage. Video shows Nelson making a kicking motion at Kolstad once on the ground but it was proven by three separate and objective medical doctors -- one paid for by the Kolstad's, one paid for by the state, and one paid for by the Nelsons -- that even if Nelson connected with Kolstad's head, he was not the cause of the brain damage. The damage was from the punch by the third man and the resulting fall onto the pavement. Nelson was originally charged (by an over-zealous DA in an election year) with first- and third-degree felonies. By the end of the trial he pled guilty to a fifth-degree misdemeanor. No jail time. That is a far cry from his original charge. And why is that? Because Nelson did not cause the harm to Kolstad or start the fight. Nelson is not a thug. He is not a troubled jock or a vile person. He is a quiet kid who loves football but made a bad decision that night to go out to the bars in his hometown. He learned a lesson and has since been punished. Time to move on people. Kolstad has recovered and can now run, work, and hold his children (even above his head while walking on pavement as shown on his Facebook page). We all wish him well in his recovery but he did start the fight and is now feeling the effects of that. Meanwhile, the third man that punched Kolstad is still awaiting trial.

In conclusion, ECU has an extremely-skilled player on their roster in Philip Nelson. He has experience, an unparalleled work ethic, he has been humbled, and he has fought tooth and nail to get where he is today. Given a chance, I think he will succeed and lead ECU. Whether that is this year or next year, we will have to wait and see. In the meantime, just enjoy football and root hard.

This is a good synopsis (with some friend/family bias) of the situation. I agree that Phil Nelson was thrown into a difficult situation and showed a decent degree of moxie through it all. I think ECU is getting a solid back-up and it likely is a good match. PN was a student of the game when he was engaged, but had a tendency to allow his ego to get the best of him in difficult situations. The team picked up on this and PNs leadership ability was called into question. It was not all his play that divided the locker-room, it was his ability as a leader to lead by example that had much of the team putting their trust in Leidner.

In many situations, he had a difficult time bringing in the play from the sidelines. Clock violations and false starts began to become regular occurrences and are symptomatic of leadership issues. Off the field there were rumors of problems. Again, the ego thing seemed to get the best of him.

People seem to take the incident in Mankato as an isolated incident. For those even somewhat close to the program; there were a series of "issues" surrounding PN.

I think the best thing to say is that he is a physically gifted player who had some maturity issues that affected his play and personal life. Perhaps these series of life lessons has caused him to quickly grow up and he can find a program that will be a good match. I am hopeful that he finds it with ECU.

tumblr_n88lpasKof1qgr036o8_r1_250.gif

First of all, you should use the word "biased" in that sentence, not "bias". Secondly, check all my facts -- ESPN, Star Tribune articles where I got all my stats, game logs, and quotes to use for my little review. If you question anything I wrote about the program, Nelson, Leidner, Cobb, Barker, Kirkwood, the Gopher games, or coaching staff, then you cannot call yourself a Gophers fan as you must only watch the 4 quarters each Saturday then do nothing else to keep up to date.

I'm confused...you are laughing at the four game winning streak where Nelson tossed 7 TDs and zero INTs? Or what is your little laughing gif of JK Simmons supposed to prove...

Which Nelson relative is Bombastic?

It is funny. These kind of posts have an opposite effect. Instead of convincing us about Nelson, it turns the board away from him.

FWIW, I wish Nelson had stayed and think he will do ok wherever he lands.

First of all, you should use the word "biased" in that sentence, not "bias". Secondly, check all my facts -- ESPN, Star Tribune articles where I got all my stats, game logs, and quotes to use for my little review. If you question anything I wrote about the program, Nelson, Leidner, Cobb, Barker, Kirkwood, the Gopher games, or coaching staff, then you cannot call yourself a Gophers fan as you must only watch the 4 quarters each Saturday then do nothing else to keep up to date.

I question the things you wrote. I call myself a Gopher fan. I keep up to date.

Until i hear JK say otherwise.....i believe JK recruited Pnels with a promise to start in Madison. i know some of you think jk is above playing those games...he aint.

I highly, highly, highly doubt it.

That was one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read. I thought it was satire at first, and even got a few chuckles out of it. Then I got to the end and realized he was serious.

wait!what?

Instead of convincing us about Nelson, it turns the board away from him./QUOTE]

For the life of me, I don't understand this. Is Nelson a football god? No. Will he be in the NFL? No...he might not even crack the starting lineup again. After a few sad years for the football program, I was just happy Nelson was a gopher...then it fell apart. But how could I not be happy after remembering the 4 game winning streak he led in 2013? Last season was fun too but it ended in the same fashion -- a bowl game loss with our starting QB throwing for 1,800 total yards, 11 TDs, and 8 INTs. Why can I not think of Nelson and research stats and articles to write a post?

Not even sure Nelson really is at ECU. Just finally wanted to comment after always reading other people's posts for years about the team or specific players. But all I get back are "you're biased" comments and gifs...this is why I've waited years to finally post on Gopher Hole.

For the life of me, I don't understand this. Is Nelson a football god? No. Will he be in the NFL? No...he might not even crack the starting lineup again. After a few sad years for the football program, I was just happy Nelson was a gopher...then it fell apart. But how could I not be happy after remembering the 4 game winning streak he led in 2013? Last season was fun too but it ended in the same fashion -- a bowl game loss with our starting QB throwing for 1,800 total yards, 11 TDs, and 8 INTs. Why can I not think of Nelson and research stats and articles to write a post?

Not even sure Nelson really is at ECU. Just finally wanted to comment after always reading other people's posts for years about the team or specific players. But all I get back are "you're biased" comments and gifs...this is why I've waited years to finally post on Gopher Hole.

i appreciated the post, it was certainly biased, but it was an interesting read. best of luck to phil, kolstad, leidner, kill, ecu, the u, and others.

For the record, I thought Nelson could develop into a capable starter and was disappointed that he left.

Yeah, Phil sure beat the crap out of him. What a real tough guy, kicking a motionless man in the head while he was on the ground.

Phillip Nelson...always the victim.

I'm really confused by you, Kuato. First you say you're disappointed PN left. Then you say he "beat the crap" out of Kolstad when the 3 medical reports (one PAID FOR BY THE KOLSTADS) used in the trial and readily available via news sources show PN caused zero of Kolstad's brain damage...Finally you play the sarcastic "victim" card?

It isn't biased when medical reports show PN did nothing in the fight to cause Kolstad's brain damage. Even in my original post I said Nelson made a bad choice to drink underage that night. I also said he had rough games in his career. Also said he might not even crack the starting lineup again in college wherever he ends up and will not go to the NFL.

So, Kuato, why don't you try typing more than two unsupported sentences and then feeling good about yourself?

Kuato, you write one or two sentences per post and must feel mighty proud that your brain worked for another day.

Until i hear JK say otherwise.....i believe JK recruited Pnels with a promise to start in Madison. i know some of you think jk is above playing those games...he aint.
I just have this crazy idea that people should have reasons to believe things.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I'm really confused by you, Kuato. First you say you're disappointed PN left. Then you say he "beat the crap" out of Kolstad when the 3 medical reports (one PAID FOR BY THE KOLSTADS) used in the trial and readily available via news sources show PN caused zero of Kolstad's brain damage...Finally you play the sarcastic "victim" card?

It isn't biased when medical reports show PN did nothing in the fight to cause Kolstad's brain damage. Even in my original post I said Nelson made a bad choice to drink underage that night. I also said he had rough games in his career. Also said he might not even crack the starting lineup again in college wherever he ends up and will not go to the NFL.

So, Kuato, why don't you try typing more than two unsupported sentences and then feeling good about yourself?

Kuato, you write one or two sentences per post and must feel mighty proud that your brain worked for another day.

Posting unsupported sentences on Gopher Hole is what gets me out of bed each morning. That and reading massive walls of texts that try to paint a football player as some sort of tragic hero.

texts that try to paint a football player as some sort of tragic hero.

...So after reading your posts, I figured it out. You don't pay attention to detail as you can't even spell his name correctly. It's Philip with one "L" not two.

You think my original post was "massive" which definitely shows you don't read the newspaper. Which is further strengthened as you didn't even know what happened in the trial because you clearly believe he "beat the crap" out of Kolstad.

At least you utilize a tone of conviction as to appear as if you know something I guess?

Nelson is not a tragic hero. No, sir. But after reading some posts on this thread that were clearly unsupported and plainly wrong, I wanted to use stats and the media to clear things up. If you'd like to keep toiling on Gopher Hole and writing one or two sentences to make yourself feel better, then that's your prerogative.

The truth of the matter is Nelson never did enough to solidify himself as the starter. You bring up his stats from his freshman year, aside from a great first half against Purdue, not much there, but again a true freshman who the year before got picked off four times by the Bemidji D at state, it's a big jump so I'll let it slide. As for the glorious four game winning streak that's kind of like saying Rex Grossmen lead the 06 Bears to the Super Bowl. We all know the last couple of years the strength of the team has been the D and the ground game. If Nelson could make the routine throws routinely he wouldn't lost his job, but after the Mankato debacle it's a pointless argument as he would've been kicked off the team. Best of luck to the young man, but he wasn't a great qb, he was an up and down underclassmen you might have panned out, had he stuck around and stayed out of trouble, but lets not pretend he was gods gift to football because we were still one of the worst passing teams in FBS football with him.

I could just as easily say his last three games (WI, MI St and bowl game) was the real PN9. Overall, he was 15-48, 0 TD and 2 INT.

He did well his freshman season, considering the circumstances. The problem is, his sophomore season saw little improvement when he came in as the annointed starter. Yes, injuries played a factor (they always do). But he opened the door for ML7 during the season and left it wide open after those last three clunkers..

Absolutely no chance this is true.

Top Bottom