Philip Nelson

Fleming, Nelson's attorney said that back in November 2014, before the trial when the facts were presented.

You gotta still be trolling right? Either that or you have some kind of personal connection to Nelson, though you're not helping him. Nah, you gotta just be trolling for clicks. Again. :rolleyes:

Several eye witnesses, including Kolstad's friends corroborated this with their testimony. As another poster said about you the other day, you seem to have some sort of mental illness.

My position is very clear, your's is not. Nelson shouldn't have kicked Kolstad in the head. That was cowardly & I denounce his actions. I readily admit this & always have. I've mainatined they're both at fault.

It's you who seems to have some connection to Kolstad as any mention of his responsibility in all this is immediately attacked by you. Kolstad, also a big football player, who was twice the legal limit for alcohol, saw Nelson was bent outta shape about his girlfriend so he decided to taunt him, insult Nelson's girlfriend, egg him into a fight & when Nelson tried to walk away, he got a run from behind and threw a sucker punch that knocked Nelson to the ground. Why does he get a free pass?

I don't have my mind made up on anything. I don't really care all that much, it's just kind of a he said she said conversation you guys have going. What the paper says and what you say happened are completely different stories.

The eye witnesses, including Kolstad's friends all say that they saw Nelson & his girlfriend so they went over to them to congratulate him on transferring to Rutgers. Nelson was bent outta shape & mistook Kolstad for the bouncer who'd been flirting with Nelson's girlfriend. Kolstad didn't like it, I believe IK's friend said he became "easily agitated" with Nelson. An argument began, where allegedly Kolstad was daring Nelson to do something about it, when Nelson didn't, he began to talk smack about Nelson's girlfriend. Nelson got mad & shoved Kolstad. They were seperated. Nelson was walking awa from the area when Kolstad got a run at him from behind and sucker punched him, knocking him to the ground. Nelson bounced to his feet & kicked Kolstad in the head, after he'd been floored by Trevor Shelley & smashed his head on the concrete. It's all been posted here. It's all in the testimony. No innocents in this one. Two big, drunk jocks, doing big, drunk jock stuff. One of them got injured badly. Could just as easily have been Nelson, but it wasn't.

Yes, that's what I said. Just as anyone who says Coach Kill would never make promises to a top recruit doesn't know. What I do know is Coach Kill is a football coach that wants to win & desperately needed a franchise QB at that time. The Nelson's showed zero inclination of becoming Gophers & Kill had to have him for many reasons. So again, it's not unreasonable to believe some promises may have been made & not kept. There are two sides to every story & we've only heard one. The one the homers want to believe.

Not all coaches are the same. You are certainly right that some are some coaches that are willing to lie, cheat and do many other things if it will help them get an edge. None of us know every thing that coach Kill does but we do know a great deal about his character. We know that if his players don't follow the rules such as being on time to practice, going to classes, or any other rules that they are expected to follow that there will be repercussions. I remember attending a Goal Line luncheon where Kirkwood said if you don't go to class you don't play.

There is no question in my mind that Jerry is a teacher and a disciplinarian. Whether you are a starter a scout team player you need to follow the rules. But more important is Jerry's actions along with those of his players. They speak volumes as to the character of this man. That is enough for me since that is all most of us can know. Actually that is quite a bit.

You're naive if you think Jerry Kill doesn't play the same game every other coach plays. That first year, when the program was down, Jerry pulled a rabbit out of his hat landing Nelson. No one thought Nelson would come to Minnesota, no one. It was a huge coup & it gave Kill the perfect QB for the style he had planned to run at the time. It also changed the perception of the program, gave Kill something to sell & made it socially acceptable for other recruits to commit to the Gophers as well. We all know Nelson's Dad was heavily involved in the recruitment of his son & was determined to get the best deal possible for his son. There's no reason to think some promises weren't made to rope him in. Obviously I have no proof, this is not a court case. I'm talking common sense & common practices. Coaches do what they have to do to get players in the door, especially a hot-shot QB that is viewed as the savior of the program.
I'm not naive at all. OF COURSE Kill will make some promises to recruits and play the same game most other coaches play to an extent. I don't doubt that for a second. What I'm doubting is this particular "promise" of guaranteeing him that he will be the starting QB for the game at Wisconsin his true freshman year. There's simply no chance in hell Kill would make that promise and I'm shocked that anyone with an IQ above 50 would actually think it's even a remote possibility it's true. The only reason Nelson played as a true frosh is because of injuries, the plan was always to redshirt him.

I'm not naive at all. OF COURSE Kill will make some promises to recruits and play the same game most other coaches play to an extent. I don't doubt that for a second. What I'm doubting is this particular "promise" of guaranteeing him that he will be the starting QB for the game at Wisconsin his true freshman year. There's simply no chance in hell Kill would make that promise and I'm shocked that anyone with an IQ above 50 would actually think it's even a remote possibility it's true. The only reason Nelson played as a true frosh is because of injuries, the plan was always to redshirt him.

+100 - Thanks! You said it so much better than I did.

The eye witnesses, including Kolstad's friends all say that they saw Nelson & his girlfriend so they went over to them to congratulate him on transferring to Rutgers. Nelson was bent outta shape & mistook Kolstad for the bouncer who'd been flirting with Nelson's girlfriend. Kolstad didn't like it, I believe IK's friend said he became "easily agitated" with Nelson. An argument began, where allegedly Kolstad was daring Nelson to do something about it, when Nelson didn't, he began to talk smack about Nelson's girlfriend. Nelson got mad & shoved Kolstad. They were seperated. Nelson was walking awa from the area when Kolstad got a run at him from behind and sucker punched him, knocking him to the ground. Nelson bounced to his feet & kicked Kolstad in the head, after he'd been floored by Trevor Shelley & smashed his head on the concrete. It's all been posted here. It's all in the testimony. No innocents in this one. Two big, drunk jocks, doing big, drunk jock stuff. One of them got injured badly. Could just as easily have been Nelson, but it wasn't.

This is not even close to being the correct story. As usual, you are putting highly unrealistic spin on the subject. Your world view has been wrong so often about so many different topics that your credibility is getting close to zero. But keep trying because you ARE highly entertaining. That quality counts for a lot on the internet.

I think I read somewhere that Nelson really wanted to keep his HS jersey number. 9 was available and Kill had that jersey reserved for him to show the commitment Kill was making to Nelson. Perhaps it was really that simple.

So again, it's not unreasonable to believe some promises may have been made & not kept.

However, it isn't any more reasonable than to believe those promises were never made. Your protection of Nelson on any criticism, of any kind, is puzzling.

This is not even close to being the correct story. As usual, you are putting highly unrealistic spin on the subject. Your world view has been wrong so often about so many different topics that your credibility is getting close to zero. But keep trying because you ARE highly entertaining. That quality counts for a lot on the internet.

Citations, please. Sources listed ? C'mon, man! Gimme!

I think Leidner is a capable QB. He's big and rugged, plays through injuries (MCL sprain, cracked ribs, etc) which is admirable. A little scary to have our QB always nicked up. Especially since we run him so much. Hopefully we find ourselves playing on January 1st again this year and coming out with a W finally.

As far as being in better hands the stats (if you want to go purely analytical) are startlingly similar between PN and ML. PN's record was 9-9, ML's is 8-6. Similar TD passes, completion %, pass YDS, and turnovers (fumbles + INTs). Where ML separates himself is his ability to drag defenders when rushing. As long as he fixes his fumbling woes, I think he could break his personal records this year for yards and TDs. Kinda glad we have Streveler behind him too. Liked him in his limited play last year. Seems like he has a good arm.

Anyway, I still think PN has the ability to effective wherever he ends up. ECU or otherwise. I hope the Gophs continue the upward trajectory with the subtractions of Cobb and Williams.

I agree with almost everything in this post. When I say we are in better hands with Leidner it is because they are almost identical statistically on the field, but Leidner appears to be a much better person/leader. The day Leidner quits the team and almost kills a guy, I'll eat some crow.

As far as the recruiting process goes, Nelson had numerous offers/interest from better colleges (i.e. Wisconsin and Nebraska). Wishing to stay loyal to the state that he carved out his illustrious HS career in, Nelson chose the Gophers. He could've easily followed in his father's footsteps and gone to Madison, but he didn't.

Nelson wasn't offered by either Wisconsin or Nebraska.

Anyone who thinks Coach Kill made promises because every other coach does, is farther behind in adjusting to the way things run in this particular program style. That mindset is exactly the opposite of everything else that is consistently the same. Double standards would lead to a chaotic mess. CRG has made many valid points on this message board, but his views about Kill's questionable recruiting tactics are absurd. Bombastic: the statistical differences or similarities between Leidner and Nelson aren't as important as the difference in leadership and character. Those intangibles aren't always the difference between winning and losing, but they are huge factors in measuring "success."

Someone needs to start another Seantrel Henderson thread to ease the Philip Nelson binge on Gopherhole.

However, it isn't any more reasonable than to believe those promises were never made. Your protection of Nelson on any criticism, of any kind, is puzzling.

You've lost your mind. I have repeatedly criticized Nelson for kicking Kolstad. Repeatedly. I've called him a coward & a loser on several occasions. I have repeatedly said Nelson was complicit. I've been saying this for months, maybe years on end now? Yet, what you hear is that I defend everything Phil Nelson :confused: I don't even like Phil Nelson! I think he's a bratty, entitled, jock. I've also said that on multiple occasions now. My position has always been very clear. People were rushing to judgement without knowing the facts. That Kolstad might not be the innocent victim he was initially portrayed as. It's now clear that both Kolstad & Nelson were equally at fault for this fight. It's you, not me, who protects Kolstad from any criticism & has an unhealthy hatred of a college kid.

I contribute to this board on a regular basis & have for 15+ years. What have you ever done except attack other posters, get yourself banned & then go *********** by creating new user names?

I can't help but notice you offer absolutely zero evidence to discredit the facts. Go ahead, lay it out for everyone to see. :rolleyes:

Here's the timeline:

- Kolstad & his buddy Sam Thompson saw Nelson, Nelson's girlfriend & another friend of Nelson's. Sam Thompson knew Nelson's buddy so they went over to them.

- Kolstad claims he started to congratulate Nelson on his football career & transfer to Rutgers.

- Nelson mistook him for the bouncer who'd been hitting on his girlfriend earlier.

- Kolstad became easily agitated & got into a shouting match with Nelson.

- Kolstad upped the ante by insulting the girlfriend, allegedly telling Nelson he'd slept with her & was going to sleep with her again.

- Nelson lost his sh*t & shoved Kolstad.

- Cooler heads prevailed & separated the two.

- As Nelson and his party walked away, Kolstad got a run at Nelson from behind & knocked both Nelson & Thompson to the ground with his punch.

- Trevor Shelley sees it happen & clocks Kolstad.

- Kolstad is out on his feet from the punch, never gets his hands out to brace his fall & smokes his head on the concrete. Witnesses describe a disgusting thud when Kolstad's head smashed into the pavement. They claimed it could be heard all the way down the block.

- Nelson, who was leveled by Kolstad gets up in a rage, runs over and kicks him in the head as he lay on the ground.

Feel free to dispute the facts. I am absolutely not saying nelson is innocent or that Kolstad deserved to go into a coma. Just that these were two big, drunk jocks locking horns. Willing combatants, certainly not a villain/victim dynamic. 999 times out of 1000 Kolstad would have hopped right back up & been ok. This was the 1 time. It's sad. Nelson made many mistakes, as did Kolstad. At the end of the day though, if Kolstad hadn't attacked Nelson from behind he'd have slept in his own bed that night instead of the ICU.

Walker Lee Ashley 》 Seantrel Henderson

You've lost your mind. I have repeatedly criticized Nelson for kicking Kolstad. Repeatedly. I've called him a coward & a loser on several occasions. I have repeatedly said Nelson was complicit. I've been saying this for months, maybe years on end now? Yet, what you hear is that I defend everything Phil Nelson :confused: I don't even like Phil Nelson! I think he's a bratty, entitled, jock. I've also said that on multiple occasions now. My position has always been very clear. People were rushing to judgement without knowing the facts. That Kolstad might not be the innocent victim he was initially portrayed as. It's now clear that both Kolstad & Nelson were equally at fault for this fight. It's you, not me, who protects Kolstad from any criticism & has an unhealthy hatred of a college kid.

If you think your view of this situation has been unbiased than it is you that have lost your mind. You forget that you were head of the "he started it" crowd.

You have also completely misrepresented my past position - but why should facts stop you from going off on this subject now considering they haven't to this point.

I have come to the conclusion that you are related to PN9. It is the only explanation for how you react on this board whenever he is mentioned. Puzzling as you are pretty level headed on other topics.

Let's put this into another context. You are out with friends, and have had a few drinks. You and some other people go over to talk with a guy - and this guy accuses you of hitting on his girlfriend. Now, admittedly, the mature, sober response would be to say "I believe you're mistaken," and walk away. But, a young, early 20's guy who has had a few drinks is much more likely to respond with something like "what the bleep are you talking about?" and things escalate from there.

YES - BOTH NELSON AND KOLSTAD SHARE RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT HAPPENED!

But - the first domino was tipped over when Nelson wrongly accused Kolstad of hitting on his girlfriend.

If I wanted to play the race card here, I would make a snarky comment about how, when you're a drunk white guy, all black guys look alike.

In any case, if Nelson does not wrongly accuse Kolstad of hitting on his girlfriend, I believe that Kolstad would be healthy today, and Nelson may - or may not - be starting at QB for Rutgers.

All actions are not equal. Accusing someone of hitting on your girl & saying "what the bleep are you talking about" are on a different level than pushing a guy in the back - which still isn't even in the same stratosphere as walking across the street to kick an unconscious guy in the head. Both share blame in what happened, but not at the same level. PN is an unstable punk and I couldn't be happier he isn't part of our team.

For every action, there is an opposite and equal reaction. ~ Fig Newton ~ :cool02:

I think I am going to change my name to PN9. Say it out loud to yourself. It speaks volume.

If you think your view of this situation has been unbiased than it is you that have lost your mind. You forget that you were head of the "he started it" crowd.

You have also completely misrepresented my past position - but why should facts stop you from going off on this subject now considering they haven't to this point.

I have come to the conclusion that you are related to PN9. It is the only explanation for how you react on this board whenever he is mentioned. Puzzling as you are pretty level headed on other topics.

As I've said numerous times, I don't even like Nelson. I think he's a spoiled brat & a meathead jock. Same thing I think of Kolstad basically. The difference is I didn't let my emotions get away from me & believe the nonsnse in the initial report. I said there were two sides to the story & you (and many others) didn't want to hear that. As it became more & more apparent that Kolstad was absolutely complicit in escalating this thing & then attacking Nelson, most others backed off their positions. Especially when the video came out. Not you though, you're emotionally invested & have an unhealthy hatred of Phil Nelson.

self get tricked into buy the initial stopry hook, line & sinker, or come in here come in here guns ablazing like you wanted to on't think apply my bias to this incident like you do. Nelson & Kolstad were both wrong that necessarily makes him the bad guy. that I think

As I've said numerous times, I don't even like Nelson. I think he's a spoiled brat & a meathead jock. Same thing I think of Kolstad basically. The difference is I didn't let my emotions get away from me & believe the nonsnse in the initial report. I said there were two sides to the story & you (and many others) didn't want to hear that. As it became more & more apparent that Kolstad was absolutely complicit in escalating this thing & then attacking Nelson, most others backed off their positions. Especially when the video came out. Not you though, you're emotionally invested & have an unhealthy hatred of Phil Nelson.

self get tricked into buy the initial stopry hook, line & sinker, or come in here come in here guns ablazing like you wanted to on't think apply my bias to this incident like you do. Nelson & Kolstad were both wrong that necessarily makes him the bad guy. that I think

Another D- job of summarizing what has been my viewpoint CRG. No matter how many times you state it or say it is true, it just won't be right. I get it tho - you are able to make your point better by making up your own facts. Well done. D-

Top Bottom