Marching Band New Uniforms

Taji34

Reaction score
I don't know how many people here are aware of this, but the Marching Band is currently fundraising to get new uniforms! We have been using our current uniforms for 23 years now, and 23 years of dry cleaning has taken its toll on the uniforms. We are currently at the 75% mark toward our fundraising total! Our new uniforms will sport a new design which can been seen in this video:
For those who are interested in possibly donating more information can be found here: z.umn.edu/uniform

Can we just extend our deal with Nike? ☺

Looks like the Marching Band's going with the new purplish Va Tech Hokie color too. Will they repaint the Maroon sections of Williams Arena next?

4120023684_670ebbe058.jpg

Since I went to the U in the late '80s I've thought the band uniforms looked like they came straight out of the 1940s. These don't appear to update them much.

Well they're purple now. Maroon, once a primary school color, is a specific rusty red-brown as painted on the Williams Arena court and worn on Gophers uniforms through the 20th century. The recent change closely matches Virginia Tech's purplish shade known as Chicago Maroon.

Virginia%20Tech%20Hokies%20Tickets%201.JPG

I don't know how many people here are aware of this, but the Marching Band is currently fundraising to get new uniforms! We have been using our current uniforms for 23 years now, and 23 years of dry cleaning has taken its toll on the uniforms. We are currently at the 75% mark toward our fundraising total! Our new uniforms will sport a new design which can been seen in this video:
For those who are interested in possibly donating more information can be found here: z.umn.edu/uniform
I like them outside of those two giant chevrons on the front, and the use of white as the main color.

Here's a slightly purplish-maroon jersey from not too long ago for comparison

1838298_orig.0.jpg

That's kind of an intermediate shade between Maroon and the current purplish hue; apparently it's been a progression toward purpler and purpler; true maroon now a faded
memory

The marching band has long used a dark maroon -- much easier to keep dark pants looking clean.

I count three looks -- reversible overlay that can be removed showing the Block M front.

I like them. Updated without a departure from the classic look.

B
The marching band has long used a dark maroon -- much easier to keep dark pants looking clean.

I count three looks -- reversible overlay that can be removed showing the Block M front.

I like them. Updated without a departure from the classic look.

You are correct on all counts.

Wow...I was in MB and my first year was also the first for the current Uniforms. I guess Polyester is timeless...and extremely hot and uncomfortable. They should take a page from Stanford on this one...

Wow...I was in MB and my first year was also the first for the current Uniforms. I guess Polyester is timeless...and extremely hot and uncomfortable. They should take a page from Stanford on this one...

How many combos will there be?:rolleyes:

+1 I vote for the maroon Lid, gold coat, maroon pant combo but could live with all maroon :)

Far too few of these posts are making fun of the band geeks. There is a lot of low hanging fruit here.

It's not maroon though, it's violet-red trending more to pure violet.

ColorWheel.jpg

+1 I vote for the maroon Lid, gold coat, maroon pant combo but could live with all maroon :)

Far too few of these posts are making fun of the band geeks. There is a lot of low hanging fruit here.

Perhaps that's the purpose for the arrows pointing southbound... :p

Can we just extend our deal with Nike? ☺
Well, if you're alright with the Marching Band wearing tracksuits as our uniform like Oregon's band . . . :p

They are among the best fans in the entire stadium.
Thank you! :)

Looks like the Marching Band's going with the new purplish Va Tech Hokie color too. Will they repaint the Maroon sections of Williams Arena next?

Well they're purple now. Maroon, once a primary school color, is a specific rusty red-brown as painted on the Williams Arena court and worn on Gophers uniforms through the 20th century. The recent change closely matches Virginia Tech's purplish shade known as Chicago Maroon.

It's not maroon though, it's violet-red trending more to pure violet.

As far as the Purple-Maroon color goes. I, personally, agree with the fact that it's too dark and too purple, however there are reasons to trend toward that color. 1. It is easier to keep clean (as was mentioned in a previous reply), less thing show up on the darker pants, and it is harder to tell when they get wet (Rain, Sweat, Slush, Etc.). 2. I was told when I inquired about the dark color on our current uniforms (The same color the new uniforms will use), that it was a product of the Metrodome. We got the current uniforms when we played there, and apparently the field lights in the dome made regular maroon look red, which we didn't want. So, it was decided to use a darker color to offset that. This may have been the same decision Athletics made. Obviously now we are outside, and the only time that would come into play is night games, but, usually when you have such a light colored top, you go with a dark bottom. I think it was an idea to use a lighter color maroon (though I'm not 100% sure), but was decided that the darker color looked more aesthetically pleasing with the colors that were used on the top. On the bright side, the new gold is much less yellow than the current uniform!

I am very happy that, even though there are some people who don't like everything, that the consensus is overall a positive one! Obviously with uniforms not everyone gets what they want, but its good to shoot for an overall positive response, which I think we have here. Hopefully we can get that last 25% fund-raised!

In 1992, when these uniforms were bought, the maroon matched the maroon used by the first year Wacker era Gophers which was a much darker color. I don't even think it looked maroon at all. Horrible...

MQ.jpg

Here's another way you can support the band's en devour for new uniforms!:
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Fun Fact: This past season there was only one band member who wasn't younger than these uniforms!
#UniteForUniforms

Here's another way you can support the band's en devour for new uniforms!:
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Fun Fact: This past season there was only one band member who wasn't younger than these uniforms!
#UniteForUniforms

Those shirts are pretty badass.

I'd say they're pretty...band-ass?
Because of the band...that would be on your ass?
Hello? Is this thing on?

That joke was a bit of a stretch, ha-ha, especially because the band on the shirt is on the front. I liked it though!

Top Bottom