BTN Repetition

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I am not a network programming expert. There may be some sort of logical reason for this... but... is BTN overplaying last season's win over Purdue a bit?

They seem to be doing this dead horse beating with other schools too. I can see showing it a couple (even few) times but for the past two weeks it seems the 2014 Purdue game is getting played into the ground.

I am the kind of guy that is willing to watch old games. That kind of viewer is already somewhat unique and it is quite a push to simply keep replaying the same game over and over. How many more viewers could they gain by mixing it up a little?

I was thrilled with the comeback victory but overall that game was always frustrating to me considering the Gophers were favorites at home to a bottom feeding Purdue squad.

I am not a network programming expert. There may be some sort of logical reason for this... but... is BTN overplaying last season's win over Purdue a bit?

They seem to be doing this dead horse beating with other schools too. I can see showing it a couple (even few) times but for the past two weeks it seems the 2014 Purdue game is getting played into the ground.

I am the kind of guy that is willing to watch old games. That kind of viewer is already somewhat unique and it is quite a push to simply keep replaying the same game over and over. How many more viewers could they gain by mixing it up a little?

I was thrilled with the comeback victory but overall that game was always frustrating to me considering the Gophers were favorites at home to a bottom feeding Purdue squad.

Would guess it has to do with the fact that it's a comeback win AND one of the only games in conference Purdue was competitive in.

They don't want to embarrass Michigan, Iowa, or Nebraska. And I guess that leaves Purdue. Of course they could replay the Northwestern game, and probably the biggest play in the 2014 season. But no. We should be happy that they at least take a break from the Michigan/TOSU games.

Agree with all the above, I wondered as well about not showing the NW game.

RostovGold

Completely agree. I don't know why they're so repetitive with the games they play.

There horrible.during the off seasons. Go back into the archives and pickup some games in the 80's
or 90's. How about the Bowl game against the Ducks and the game winner by Lloyd.

Gee, I wonder why they won't show the Michigan game from last year?

Michigan game was on ABC. Many of the games you guys want to see weren't broadcast on BTN so I doubt they have the rights to them.

They probably have the rights to them for a small fee

Michigan game was on ABC. Many of the games you guys want to see weren't broadcast on BTN so I doubt they have the rights to them.

Fair enough but they do show replays from ESPN/ABC all the time.

During the season they replay full games of almost all of the schools. I am only interested in Minnesota and I TIVO all of the games so I don't pay much attention to this - I am not sure if they replay games shown on ESPN / ABC or not. After the season, they will replay some good / close / overtime games. Later in the year, they will replay many games in the one hour format. It seems like each team gets a week or so during which they will play a few games over and over again. Earlier in the year, the Nebraska game was played as much as the Purdue game is now. Just wait a few days and you'll see some other school getting all of the attention.

If you have any questions about BTN programming see Jim Delaney. He sees only TOSU. The Western Conference is not even in his mind. Not a lot of time went into throwing a bone to Minnesota, and at the same time showing what a Eastern Division team could do us. TOSU is on ABC, ESPN when they play say Michigan, and there is more than enough of those games. And surprisingly where are MSU beat downs of little brother? Again it does fit the programing.

During the season they replay full games of almost all of the schools. I am only interested in Minnesota and I TIVO all of the games so I don't pay much attention to this - I am not sure if they replay games shown on ESPN / ABC or not. After the season, they will replay some good / close / overtime games. Later in the year, they will replay many games in the one hour format. It seems like each team gets a week or so during which they will play a few games over and over again. Earlier in the year, the Nebraska game was played as much as the Purdue game is now. Just wait a few days and you'll see some other school getting all of the attention.

I get it that they eventually cycle the programming. What I don't get is for three weeks straight they show MN vs Purdue as a "Minnesota Classic" with nothing else to choose from. They keep showing the same games and they even show them in the same time slots. I could live with a little repetition. I find myself forgetting to check BTN as a viewing option when the previous 6 attempts resulted in BTN showing games that have already been shown a gazillion times. Long story short: As a regular BTN viewer, their programming choices are driving me away.

Just mix it up a bit. If you are going to cycle which games you are going to show as if they were songs on the radio, just mix in a little variety instead of playing 3 Taylor Swift songs over and over.

I wish they would show old Big Ten games from the 70's and 80's once in awhile. I had the same complaint with FoxSports North when they used to replay old Twins games, they would be games that were only 2 or 3 years old. I would love to watch some old Twins games from the 70's and 80's.

I have a rare summer Saturday at home with nothing to do. Just fired up the TV and was momentarily pleased to see some Minnesota content coming up this morning on BTN. It is the Purdue game... Again. Face palm.

At least it isn't 2008 Michigan vs. Florida. So tired of seeing that game on BTN.

It is on again. Is anyone monitoring programming on btn? Or have they all checked out for summer. It is a garbage network.

It is on again. Is anyone monitoring programming on btn? Or have they all checked out for summer. It is a garbage network.
It's main purpose is a vehicle for live football and basketball, who cares what's on in the summer?

It's main purpose is a vehicle for live football and basketball, who cares what's on in the summer?

Yet, sadly, the ESPN/SEC network consistently shows new women's basketball, volleyball, softball; mens' baseball, etc. games. BTN struggles to show anything new other than mens football and basketball; a weekly mens hockey game or two, and then the occasional whatever else. Come basketball season, there are what, four BTN extra channels, yet less than half of the Gopher non-B1G games are even broadcasted on live TV (you can find them on the internet, BTN or ESPN, but this is not what we had in mind).

BTN is pretty much a crap network (unless you are an OSU or Michigan or Indiana basketball fan). But hey, it's FOX-owned, so expecting something competent is probably not reasonable.

BTN was the original reason for me getting DirecTV over Comcast, since at the time BTN and Comcast did not yet have a contract. But at this point, I'm pretty unsatisfied with BTN, and if it weren't part of the main package on DirecTV, I certainly wouldn't be paying much more to get BTN.

The comments about BTN being a crap network... I don't disagree with that. What amazes me is in the early years I watched it all the time. I am now watching it less and less. I liked it in the beginning. I even bought RoTel at every turn. I became a walking Rotel zombie because it was pretty much their only sponsor.

JUST MIX UP THE REPLY GAMES A BIT... SHEESH.

Hey... Set your DVR's!!! There is a "Minnesota Football Classic" airing on BTN at 1:30 today! It is the 2014 game against the worst team in the B1G, Purdue!

Well, I watched it. Exciting game, but one gopher fans would rather forget. * Defense gave up numerous big plays. I'm not sure if this is a "classic" for either fanbase but it did have many exciting plays.

My running thoughts:

83 Goodger illegal field goal formation (again). Picky. Santoso misses XP.
11 Johnson another big hit at goal line, pass ruled incomplete. I still don't know what constitutes a completed pass. Two steps with football. Complete pass and fumble.
Santoso fake field goal attempt, brutal..
Poor linebacker play led to big plays all game.
David Cobb - stud, carried offense, again.* We are going to miss him.
First game won after trailing at half. We were down by 11 pts, 31-20
Craig James looks very athletic
White speed receiver corps shows up, BYU like.* Fruechte, woli, Maxx all making big time plays, until kj maye spectacular dive into end zone.
Santoso GW 52 yard field goal to redeem himself.
Thompson* incredible interception to stop dangerous drive in late 4th..
David Cobb finishes them with some spectacular running.

We got cable at my apartment for the first time in over a year. It's pretty nice to be able to watch some old B10 football games in anticipation for the season; however, you are right - can they play a different Gopher football game? Like, either of the last two Nebraska games?

One other thing I don't like about BTN Classic Football program - I only started watching college football in 2010. So I haven't seen a good bulk of the stuff they replay. But for conference games, do they really need to say, "Minnesota Classic" or "Iowa Classic" before and after every TV break? It ruins the outcome of the game! It's a little more exciting when I don't know.

I do love the editing of the program, though. It's nice being able to watch an entire football game in an hour.

Fyi- big ten network is showing a classic Minnesota game tomorrow at 4 pm. The Purdue game from last year is the selected game by the btn.

Fyi- big ten network is showing a classic Minnesota game tomorrow at 4 pm. The Purdue game from last year is the selected game by the btn.

Good to know. I definitely don't want to miss my chance to see this classic.

I actually sent an email to BTN. Probably won't do any good, but might as well try. I asked them if they would consider running actual "classic" Big Ten games from the 70's, 80's and 90's. It would even be a treat to hear some of the old announcers from back in the day.

I think the entire BTN staff hit a "play" button that had 20 programs and took the summer off. I just hope they are back in time to cover Big Ten media days this Thursday and Friday. I think we will start getting better programming once August One gets here later this week.

Go Gophers!

Top Bottom