Q&A: Lakeville's Nathan Reuvers Talks Recruitment and Recent Visit to Gophers

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Lakeville's Nathan Reuvers Talks Recruitment and Recent Visit to Gophers
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/534607?referrer_id=388419

Nathan Reuvers, a 6-foot-9 rising junior from Lakeville (MN) North, has emerged the past few months as one of the state's top prospects in the Class of 2017. Reuvers only averaged 6.5 points per game as a sophomore, but stepped up his play in the Class AAAA state tournament when senior Connor Flack was sidelined with an injury. He scored in double figures in two of the Panthers' three games and averaged 6.0 rebounds. Lakeville North finished 19-13 last season and 10-8 in the South Suburban Conference.

Reuvers has picked up four scholarship offers and made a recent unofficial visit to Minnesota.

Gopher Hole caught up with Reuvers to learn the latest on his college recruitment and summer.

Gopher Hole: How many offers are you up to right now?

Nathan Reuvers: Four. Boston University, UNC Greensboro, Duquesne and North Dakota.

Gopher Hole: You have to be pretty pleased getting those type of offers before your junior season?

Nathan Reuvers: I mean it is kind of cool to get those offers. Definitely hoping to get some more by the end of July. I never expected to be four Division I offers this summer, if you had asked before the AAU season

Gopher Hole: You visited the Gophers recently for an unofficial visit. What was that experience like?

Nathan Reuvers: Really cool. I have been to Gopher games growing up and you always want to see what the locker room and stuff looked like growing up and it was really cool to meet the coaches and check out all the facilities.

Gopher Hole: Had you been hearing much from the Gophers before that?

Nathan Reuvers: I had talked to them a few times before that and set up a visit and I went there and meet all of them.

Gopher Hole: What other schools are you hearing from besides the four schools that have offered you?

Nathan Reuvers: I would say from over 20, so it is a lot.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is still pretty early, but do you like the recruiting process so far?

Nathan Reuvers: Yes, I like it. You just never know the rules and stuff. It is always switching around. Trying to figure all that stuff out.

Gopher Hole: How about this past week with the Minnesota Fury. Where did you go AAU-wise and how well did you do this past weekend?

Nathan Reuvers: We went to St. Louis and went 4-1. We lost to that KC Run GMC team (formerly the Kansas City Pump N Run squad). They are really good.

Gopher Hole: How about the next two weeks? Where are you headed?

Nathan Reuvers: We are in Sioux Falls this weekend for the Sanford Pentagon League and then we are in Las Vegas to finish up July.

Gopher Hole: How pleased are you with how well things have been going this year?

Nathan Reuvers: We have lost like only seven games. We have been doing good. I think that we are finally starting to play together a lot more than we were at the beginning of the season. I think that we can try to go undefeated the rest of the season.

Gopher Hole: There were college coaches in attendance last week and the next two weeks they will be watching you. Do you notice the coaches or do you try not to?

Nathan Reuvers: You definitely notice it. I always see some guys that you have talked to. You are always looking out there. You can get a little bit nervous about playing, but I just try to play to my strengths and that works out the best.

Gopher Hole: You had a great season at Lakeville North, making it to the state semifinals. You lose a couple of key players like Connor Flack, but return most of your top players. What are the expectations for the upcoming season?

Nathan Reuvers: To be back in the state tournament and competing for a state title.

Gopher Hole: When you look at your numbers as a sophomore they weren't overwhelming because you had other key players and you came off the bench most of the season, but you really seemed to play your best down the stretch when Flack was sidelined during the state tournament. Is that something that you were pretty pleased about being able to step up when your team really needed you in the postseason?

Nathan Reuvers: Yes. Number one, he was taking a lot of shots. He is scoring about 30 points a game¸ so I had to step up and take them. I got more chances to play and show off a lot more and it kind of set me up for the AAU season with all the recruiting stuff.

Gopher Hole: What things have you really been working on this summer to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Nathan Reuvers: I do workouts with Mitch Ohnstad once or twice a week. He used to play for the Gophers. He is working on everything. Skills. Just making it a little bit better. Trying to get those high major offers.

Gopher Hole: I saw a list of schools that have been in contact with you like Boise State, Bucknell, Creighton, Denver, Minnesota, Northern Iowa and Virginia. Any other schools that you can think of?

Nathan Reuvers: I got a call from Wofford tonight. Santa Clara, Cornell, Yale and Princeton. There are a lot of others. I can't really remember them all now.

Gopher Hole: It has to be pretty flattering to hear from that many schools, though?

Nathan Reuvers: Yes. It is nice. Keeps my options available.

Gopher Hole: Do you come from a basketball family?

Nathan Reuvers: My dad played in high school (Bethel Academy in Fairbault) and I have four other siblings, but only one (Jon) other plays and he is going to be down after this year. He will be a senior in high school.

Gopher Hole: I heard a story about your family and Notre Dame. Are both of your parents Notre Dame grads?

Nathan Reuvers: My dad is. Not my mom. My mom went to Gustavus, but I have three siblings, two graduated and one goes there now.

Gopher Hole: I heard that your home answering machine plays the Notre Dame fight song. Have you heard from Notre Dame at all?

Nathan Reuvers: I got a recruiting letter from there, but that is about it.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is still far away, but what are going to be the main factors that are going to make you pick School A over School B or C?

Nathan Reuvers: Academics, mainly. My family has pushed me my whole life academically. I have an above 4.0 and 27 ACT and they are going to be pushing me to keep my grades high, so I can go to better schools.

Gopher Hole: Has basketball always been a love for you?

Nathan Reuvers: I've played basketball my whole life. I was always a lot taller than everyone, so that is it started. I have always played basketball outside. That is all I love to do. I did play four sports, but I quit most of them to play basketball.

Gopher Hole: What other sports did you play?

Nathan Reuvers: I played baseball, football and soccer and I still play a little bit of soccer.

Gopher Hole: I think that one of your strengths is that you are a really good outside shooter for your size. Is that something you take pride in?

Nathan Reuvers: Yes, definitely. I have been trying to go inside a lot more, especially since I am 6-9. I have to be scoring inside there and be inside-out, because if I can't hit a shot from the outside, I have to go inside.

Gopher Hole: You mentioned the Gophers. Did you get a chance to watch them much this past season?

Nathan Reuvers: Not really. I was watching a lot of Notre Dame basketball. I went to one game this year for Minnesota, when they were playing Nebraska at home.

Gopher Hole: What were your impressions of the team and how their style of play maybe fits your style of play?

Nathan Reuvers: The person that I like to watch the most out of the Gophers is Joey King, because that is what I see myself doing. A lot of what he does.

Gopher Hole: He is not quite as tall as you, but is close and he is a really good outside shooter and is from the area as well. How do you see his game compared to yours?

Nathan Reuvers: I like to see myself as a a little bit quicker than him. He is a good shooter. I haven't seen that much. I don't know if I am better than him or not. I would say that his inside game is decent. Not the best, but that is how I see myself, too.

Top Bottom