Projecting Starting Lineup

Lakers612

Banned
Reaction score
Who is your starting 5 come game 1? Who starts in our Big10 opening?

I would bet we will see one of these two starting lineups right of of the gate:

Dorsey
Mason
Morris
King
Konate

Mason
Morris
Murphy
King
Konate

Pick one otherwise what's the point. With that said I'll go
Dorsey
Mason
Morris
King
Konate

At the start of the season:
Dorsey
Mason
Morris
King
Konate

Big Ten:
Dorsey
Mason
Mcbrayer
King
Konate

Pick one otherwise what's the point. With that said I'll go
Dorsey
Mason
Morris
King
Konate
Make me. :D

I was saying months ago, I thought Dorsey would be starting day one. With Jarvis' ineligibility, I could envision a scenerio where Pitino would want Kevin coming off the bench. In that case I would think Murphy would get the starting nod.

What it will be...
Dorsey, Mason, Morris, King, Konate

What I hope it ends up being in time...
Dorsey, Mason, Morris, Murphy, Konate

What it will be...
Dorsey, Mason, Morris, King, Konate

What I hope it ends up being in time...
Dorsey, Mason, Morris, Murphy, Konate

Go back a year and everyone was hoping the Great Josh Martin could dethrone King... not even close. I think it is unlikely, but also hope Murph is such an asset it happens.

Murphy could be a huge factor in this team making some noise. If he can develop into a real contributor and push King I would be very pleased. That being said I don't see this team finishing above 7th in the big ten.

Dorsey
Mason
Morris
King
Konate

For non-conference

once the B10 starts
Dorsey
Mason
Morris/McBrayer
Murphy
Konate

Murphy is so much more physically suited for big ten play than King. I don't see how you could keep him off the court.

Murphy is so much more physically suited for big ten play than King. I don't see how you could keep him off the court.

Agree in theory, but talented youngsters are often bench-prone:

• Foul machines
  • Terrible defense
  • Can't grasp the offense
  • Poor shooting
  • Attitude
  • Struggling to adjust to college life, school
Athleticism and talent don't automatically equate to playing time... King is fundamentally sound, while not very athletic.

Dorsey
Mason
Morris
King
Konate

For non-conference

once the B10 starts
Dorsey
Mason
Morris/McBrayer
Murphy
Konate

I'm not rooting against anyone here, but I'm saving this just in case this becomes the most preposterous statement of the year. You haven't seen Murphy play 1 minute of B1G 10 basketball and your able to say he is "so much more" anything....

Good for you.

You also want to supplant Morris with McBrayer which would be the exact opposite effect given physical stats.

If the season goes better than exepcted the starting lineup will include King and Morris for the whole year and both will be significant contributors.

You'd think people would learn after anointing Josh Martin as the next Blake Griffin last summer, but the "hot hand on the stove" theory doesn't really seem to apply to a lot of people on this board.

My limited thoughts:

We are in for a tough year.

Would not surprise me if Joey King has a break-out year, at least scoring wise.

I would need to see a significant improvement in ball handling and decision making to feel comfortable starting Morris at SG. I think that is a invitation for other teams to press and trap us all over the place.

Pitino loves ball handlers who can make quick decisions in transition with the ball, and Morris of last year doesn't fit that bill. He's a solid finisher and slasher, but not ball distributor or a guy that seemed willing to pass out of trap.

Go Gophers!!

I would need to see a significant improvement in ball handling and decision making to feel comfortable starting Morris at SG. I think that is a invitation for other teams to press and trap us all over the place.

Pitino loves ball handlers who can make quick decisions in transition with the ball, and Morris of last year doesn't fit that bill. He's a solid finisher and slasher, but not ball distributor or a guy that seemed willing to pass out of trap.

Go Gophers!!
Yeah honestly in the lineup I went with having Morris at the 2 would make me a little uneasy. Murphy would probably be the 2nd ballhandler on the floor in that situation. I've read that often times in AAU he was used as point forward type and would bring the ball down the floor.

I believe and Morris and King will and should start the majority of the games this year, barring injury.

Maybe King could play the 3 and Murphy the 4.

Pitino says Murphy will be solid at D and rebounding right away. The exact facets King struggles with.

King will start all year and ave. 18 pump fakes a game, draw 3 charges a game, get to the FT line at least 6 times a game, and .8 rebounds per game.

and maybe King and Murphy are on the floor at the same time...

Murphy should be a starter early from I've seen, clearly one of the better players on the team next to mason.

I'm still not a King fan but the staff seems so high on him that I doubt he comes off the bench.

I would be surprised if Dorsey doesn't start at PG and Murphy at SF. I believe long term Murphy is a PF, but feel they will start Konate and their 4 best players.

Murphy should be a starter early from I've seen, clearly one of the better players on the team next to mason.

I'm still not a King fan but the staff seems so high on him that I doubt he comes off the bench.

He had a True Shooting Percentage of 60.4% (best on the team) in conference last season. Although he doesn't do anything else particularly well (except draw charges), his good across-the-board marks on field goal, 3 point, and free throw shooting pretty much require him to be on the floor as much as feasible.

Starters I'd pick
Dorsey
Mason
Squirrel
Murphy
And a big(maybe even buggs)

Small ball. Best available players.

Actual line up to start the season

Mason
Squirrel
Murphy
King