Opening Day Uniform Poll

What uniforms do you want to see vs the frogs?

• All Maroon

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • All Gold

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Maroon helmet, maroon jersey and White pants

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Maroon helmet, Maroon jersey and Gold pants

Votes: 58 43.9%
  • Gold helmet, Maroon jersey and Gold pants

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • Gold helmet, Gold jersey and Maroon pants

• Gold helmet, Gold jersey and White pants

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Love all combos as long as jerseys and pants are the same color (white, gold, or maroon).

White tri-striped helmets, no M; plain maroon jerseys, gold numbers, no names; white tri-striped pants

Let's have our traditional home unis instead of all this jumping around with various combinations.

If you go over to the daily gopher today, you can see that we have no traditional jersey. Hell we even had black jerseys for ten years!
If by tradition, you mean maroon jersey and gold pants, I'm fine with that. It's a good look.

Maroon helmet, Maroon jersey and gold pants is the best look the Gophers have. I could see wearing the Gold helmet at night to get a little contrast going with TCU's black helmet though, especially since there will be some twilight shadows that time of day 07:45 to 08:00 PMIsh.

Does TCU usually wear a black helmet? I thought their main one was that purple chrome thing.

Honestly, as long as we're wearing some combination of maroon, white, and gold, I'm fine with it. I find it amusing how so many people think our school colors look hideous in all but one or two combinations.

I know everyone is going to say maroon helmet, maroon jersey, gold pants, but I feel that that is kind of the definitive Gopher look, and probably the one to go with for a season opener against a high profile opponent in a game that a lot of people will likely be watching.

As seemingly the only person who likes the white pants, I'd be cool with those too, same with gold helmets. No matter what look they go with, I'm not gonna throw a fit about it. While I slightly favor the maroon/maroon/gold combo for the first game, I hope to see the white pants later this season. Because I know it will piss people off.

How many combos does Michigan wear?

How many combos does Penn St wear?

How many combos does Ohio St. wear?

Ask 10 people and you will get 10 preferences. For me, I feel pretty strongly that the Gophers should burn their white pants. I can live with them on the road but always sigh when I see them at home. There have been fantastic wins against Iowa and Penn State at home in the past two years wearing those white pants but I have absolutely no nostalgia for them. I personally find them awful at home. It is even worse when they are worn under gold jerseys (Ohio State game last year).

In terms of what I like at home, I like the uniforms in this order, and I do like all options numbered 1 through 4:

1. Maroon helmet, gold jersey, maroon pants
2. All maroon
3. Gold helmet, maroon jersey, gold pants
4. Maroon helmet, maroon jersey, gold pants
5. Any other option not involving white
6. Any option involving white pants

On the road, I like pretty much everything I have seen.

$(KGrHqZHJCoE-v8DQDFJBP2frIlJQg~~60_35.JPG

White tri-striped helmets with no. 60 replacing M

Does anyone know with which uni combo the Gophers have the most wins under Jerry Kill?

I will not be surprised if it is with MMG (helmet,jersey,pants).

That is the uni they ought to wear on September 3rd opener.

Since these unis were introduced:

Helmet/Jersey/Pants
Maroon/Maroon/Gold - 4-1
Maroon/Gold/Maroon - 3-0
Maroon/Gold/Gold - 0-1
Maroon/Maroon/Maroon - 5-4
Maroon/Maroon/White - 2-0
Gold/Maroon/Gold - 1-0
Gold/Gold/White - 0-1
White/Maroon/White - 0-1

And message to Gophers' uniform requisitioners:

Maroon is not

Purplish!

Purplish

Minnesota-Golden-Gophers-Football1.jpg

Maroon is the color of the border around this message, it is a reddish brown. Purple is a bluish red and apparently that's close enough for some.

The gold might not be so bad if it weren't so yellowish.:)

notice the gold smiley face.

Maroon

2560x1440-up-maroon-solid-color-background.jpg

Not Maroon

20120922_jla_aj5_527.0_standard_352.0.jpg

How about this?
minnesota_gophers_garden_flag_64356sma.jpg

There are big differences though. Mostly much darker. If I were to be real 'picky', I would say both the maroon and gold are not the best choices........shades of.

Edit: I do see the purplish tint to them though.

Some or maybe all of Gophers Maroon uniforms appear to be a color known as Chicago Maroon, which is Virginia Tech's primary school color. Maybe they got a discount on a group buy.

Some or maybe all of Gophers Maroon uniforms appear to be a color known as Chicago Maroon, which is Virginia Tech's primary school color. Maybe they got a discount on a group buy and figured wtf, Chicago Maroon, Maroon... Who's gonna know

$_35.JPG

Big Ten Football: The Forgotten Big Ten Member, the Chicago Maroons

When 1933 arrived, school president of four years Robert Hutchins decided to eliminate football from the university. It was a part of his plan to eliminate things from the school that would be a "distraction" to the student body and the professors.

He hated the idea of an athlete being seen as a role model of any kind and he hated the popularity that footballers had gained around campus. First, he eliminated the PE major. Then, he forced Stagg to retire and prevented the coach that replaced Stagg (Clark Shaughnessy) from recruiting players.

That would cause any football program to fall on hard times. The Maroons became terrible. They were outscored 308-37 in the 1939 season. The last Big Ten victory was in '36.

After the 1939 season, Hutchins abolished football at Chicago University. And he did it during Christmas break, while the students were off campus. This decision (along with Hutchins eliminating fraternities and religious organizations from campus) caused a decrease in enrollment and financial backing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-forgotten-big-10-member-the-chicago-marroons

Chicago University apparently chose Black even though they were called the maroons. There is a color called Chicago maroon though. I'll see if I can find it, back in a sec

....... Here, Chicago Maroon is Virginia Tech school color

200px-VT_logo.svg.png
thumb.aspx

Maroon, original school color

gophers.jpg

Chicago Maroon, new school color

minnesota-uniform.jpg

Chicago University apparently chose Black even though they were called the maroons. There is a color called Chicago maroon though. I'll see if I can find it, back in a sec

....... Here, Chicago Maroon is Virginia Tech school color

200px-VT_logo.svg.png
thumb.aspx

The University of Chicago:
Colors C Maroon[6]
Athletics NCAA Division III – UAA
Nickname Maroons
Mascot Phoenix
Affiliations AAU
NAICU
568 Group
URA

I do agree with you....the older maroon is better, though not sure if it is the original.

Seems the U has gone through many different shades of maroon AND gold over the years.

Top Bottom