SportsCenter to feature Jarvis Johnson story "Rise Up" (Video Trailer)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
ESPN is running a "SC Featured" story on Jarvis. Here is the trailer:

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&adSetCode=91cDU6NuXTGKz3OdjOxFdAgJVtQcKJnI&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:13222707&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Salt in the wound. Really wanted to see Jarvis play for the Gophers.

Just watched the feature on Jarvis on SportsCenter and it was very good. I'd be very surprised if Jarvis doesn't play D1 basketball somewhere I just hope it is for the Gophers. I wish the Gophers would replace their doctors with some of these doctors/cardiologists that have cleared Jarvis and told him and his mom to not give up on trying to play.

Just watched the feature on Jarvis on SportsCenter and it was very good. I'd be very surprised if Jarvis doesn't play D1 basketball somewhere I just hope it is for the Gophers. I wish the Gophers would replace their doctors with some of these doctors/cardiologists that have cleared Jarvis and told him and his mom to not give up on trying to play.

Great Idea!!!!!!!!! Let's replace the U doctors with a bunch of yes men who have medical degrees from the University of Phoenix.

Great Idea!!!!!!!!! Let's replace the U doctors with a bunch of yes men who have medical degrees from the University of Phoenix.
So just because the doctors say Jarvis can play that means they are a bunch of unqualified yes men who have degrees from the University of Phoenix? You don't think it could be possible some of these doctors meeting and clearing Jarvis telling him not to give up could be very qualified doctors that believe Jarvis should be able to play like the 5 other D1 basketball players currently playing with the same condition?

So just because the doctors say Jarvis can play that means they are a bunch of unqualified yes men who have degrees from the University of Phoenix? You don't think it could be possible some of these doctors meeting and clearing Jarvis telling him not to give up could be very qualified doctors that believe Jarvis should be able to play like the 5 other D1 basketball players currently playing with the same condition?

I can flip that right around on you and ask, aren't the team of doctor's he was checked out by at the U not qualified enough as well? If anything, they are more objective since they don't have a prior relationship with Jarvis.

So you have a protocol set up with qualified people, but you basically ignore the whole thing when you didn't get the result that you wanted? Hell of a way to run anything. How many other basketball players have NOT been cleared with this condition? Tough situation but, sometimes, a decision are made and there are no absolutes that it is the right one.

Link to the video Bros

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13241025

Edit: Post watching

Wow.... I don't know what I expected coming into that, was hoping it would shed some positive light on the possibilities of Jarv playing at the UofM or at least putting a positive slant on how it played out....

Nope.

I've got little hope he ever straps it up for us. I wish he would, as he was supposed to be the man that changed things for us and local recruits. And we finally land a top kid in the states class and we won't let him play...

That all said... He's a young, intelligent, thoughful kid. Live.

Doesn't natter who the doctors are. Its as much a university issue as it is a health issue. Jarvis personal doctor doesn't gave to answer to a university

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I can flip that right around on you and ask, aren't the team of doctor's he was checked out by at the U not qualified enough as well? If anything, they are more objective since they don't have a prior relationship with Jarvis.
I never said the team doctors aren't qualified. I'm more wondering why new doctors he is meeting with and different doctors are giving him the ok to play and telling him and his family to not give up on playing. My guess is it has to do with the University and insurance stuff. I fully believe Jarvis will end up playing college basketball and just hope it will be with the Gophers.

So you have a protocol set up with qualified people, but you basically ignore the whole thing when you didn't get the result that you wanted? Hell of a way to run anything. How many other basketball players have NOT been cleared with this condition? Tough situation but, sometimes, a decision are made and there are no absolutes that it is the right one.
My issue is more that other doctors are clearing Jarvis and new doctors are reaching out to him and his family and telling them he shouldn't give up on playing . I just wonder what the difference is for these doctors and how much of him not being cleared has to do with the health issue and how much is a university insurance type issue. As for how many basketball players haven't been cleared with the condition, I have no idea I didn't hear that talked about in the segment.

I never said the team doctors aren't qualified. I'm more wondering why new doctors he is meeting with and different doctors are giving him the ok to play and telling him and his family to not give up on playing. My guess is it has to do with the University and insurance stuff. I fully believe Jarvis will end up playing college basketball and just hope it will be with the Gophers.

That might be some of it but I think the powers that be don't want to take the chance of something happening. The fall out of that, especially after you first decided he isn't cleared to play, would be awful. Frankly, I also believe there are people who are genuinely concerned that Jarvis might die if he plays and want no part of that. Jarvis is getting a free college education. He is also free to go and play elsewhere. He's not a victim of some U incompetence or bias against athletics. Sh*t happens.

Does anyone know of any rerun times? I have heard 10:00 and midnight but no confirmation. I do t know of those times are eastern or central

Damn right it is about insurance and liability.

The fans want a kid who can make baskets. They don't want to know about much else other than what they see on the court. The kid desperately wants to play. There is enough gray in this situation that I'm not surprised that there are some docs who say yes. Bigger picture in mind (think about an ESPN report of the tragic death of a young player who was allowed to play with a heart condition, cue dramatic music and tearful family members and friends), I'm glad there are well trained cardiologists at the U who are saying no. Sometimes, life absolutely sucks and I feel genuinely bad for Jarvis. He's eighteen and has the opportunity to do amazing things that he can tell his grandchildren about, but he's going to need a lot of help looking at it that way.

Reading between the lines I think that Jarvis' exertions on the court when he's playing at a high level sound a little precarious.

Saw the feature this morning. It was pretty good. I was a little worried that it would show the Gophers in a bad light. Not so much.

Links for the trailer

Link to the video Bros

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13241025

Edit: Post watching

Wow.... I don't know what I expected coming into that, was hoping it would shed some positive light on the possibilities of Jarv playing at the UofM or at least putting a positive slant on how it played out....

Nope.

I've got little hope he ever straps it up for us. I wish he would, as he was supposed to be the man that changed things for us and local recruits. And we finally land a top kid in the states class and we won't let him play...

That all said... He's a young, intelligent, thoughful kid. Live.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's the whole video isn't it? Otherwise that's the longest trailer ever.

Damn right it is about insurance and liability.

No, it isn't. The great majority of Pediatric Cardiologists would have prohibited him from playing after presenting with an episode of sudden death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it isn't. The great majority of Pediatric Cardiologists would have prohibited him from playing after presenting with an episode of sudden death.

And it isn't just about dropping dead on the court. Its also about long term heart damage from the level of exertion.

And it isn't just about dropping dead on the court. Its also about long term heart damage from the level of exertion.

And it IS about insurance and liability.

You can bet your sweet bippy the attorneys were watching this closely. Any 'grey' area and the hammer comes down.

Just watched the video, definitely think he plays at some point. Hope it's with us, but I have a feeling it will be with a mid-major some where.

And it IS about insurance and liability.

You can bet your sweet bippy the attorneys were watching this closely. Any 'grey' area and the hammer comes down.

You must have also had a hell of a hard time accepting the fact when you found out there was no Santa Claus. Jarvis can play--it's just that damn U worried about money and those dastardly attorneys. $800,000 to get out of a football game but that boost in insurance rates would destroy the U if they were found liable. Some smaller school might take a chance--doesn't mean the U is wrong.

You must have also had a hell of a hard time accepting the fact when you found out there was no Santa Claus. Jarvis can play--it's just that damn U worried about money and those dastardly attorneys. $800,000 to get out of a football game but that boost in insurance rates would destroy the U if they were found liable. Some smaller school might take a chance--doesn't mean the U is wrong.

True............but the attorneys did have a big say in this.

Top Bottom