Week 1 Media Predictions: TCU at Minnesota

GP is a great coach and he will bring the Horny Toads in ready to play. Big Time! Enough so that they can keep it within 2 touchdowns. I sure won't begrudge them a shot for a rematch in the Championship game.

I laugh when I read many of these posts. Prior to last year, TCU was 4-8. So each year stands on its own. FWIW, it's all about ball control. TCU can't score if they don't have the ball. Gophers can win IF they control both LOS. Which for my money, at home, I like those odds. I would take the points all day, but I see Gophers in a close upset, 24-21.

RostovGold

How are we going to score?

An open question until it's answered.

How are we going to score?

An open question until it's answered.

Either by moving the ball across the goal line or kicking it through the uprights. Perhaps even by tackling the other team's QB in the endzone or by them losing the ball out of the back of the endzone. It could even be by recovering a fumble in the endzone. It is almost certain to be by one of these methods.

There, answered. Now your question isn't open anymore.

Either by moving the ball across the goal line or kicking it through the uprights. Perhaps even by tackling the other team's QB in the endzone or by them losing the ball out of the back of the endzone. It could even be by recovering a fumble in the endzone. It is almost certain to be by one of these methods.

There, answered. Now your question isn't open anymore.

Dpo, really good list. I also think we could block any sort of kick and return it for a touchdown as well. I Hope Studwell finds these examples helpful.

My biggest priblem with the predictions is that, TCU can plug in eight new starters on defense with the same result, yet we're going to have problems on offense due to who we lost? To a degree we got bushwacked last year because TCU had an FCS team and then a week off. That will not happen this year, they are largely the same on offense and we have a year of video to analyse, we got surprised by their speed on defense, but handled OSU's speed later in the year.

I think it's fair to mention that Patterson's TCU squads have a history of fielding outstanding defenses every year, even when replacing starters from previous seasons.

Earth to Dallas...

The only thing more offensive to a TCU fan than conflating the Frogs with baylor is conflating the great city of Fort Worth with the hell-hole that is Dallas, Texas. ;)

On a related note, the Dallas Morning News is anything but a TCU-homer publication -- they're just all-around idiots that didn't know TCU existed until a couple years ago and still couldn't find their way from Dallas to Fort Worth with a GPS self-driving car. If it's not about the universities of texas or oklahoma or dallas-area high schools, there's no need to bother reading the drivel that call "football coverage."

The only thing more offensive to a TCU fan than conflating the Frogs with baylor is conflating the great city of Fort Worth with the hell-hole that is Dallas, Texas. ;)

On a related note, the Dallas Morning News is anything but a TCU-homer publication -- they're just all-around idiots that didn't know TCU existed until a couple years ago and still couldn't find there way from Dallas to Fort Worth with a GPS self-driving car.

I like the cut of your jib, Hoss.

On a related note, the Dallas Morning News is anything but a TCU-homer publication -- they're just all-around idiots that didn't know TCU existed until a couple years ago and still couldn't find their way from Dallas to Fort Worth with a GPS self-driving car. If it's not about the universities of texas or oklahoma or dallas-area high schools, there's no need to bother reading the drivel that call "football coverage."

Fort Worth, St. Paul, Tacoma, Oakland, St. Petersburg, Canada--all no respect, I tell you.

anyone come up with our record the past few years being double digit dogs?

Honest question for all of you that think we are going to win this game or lose a really close one....do you honestly see us as a National Title Contender? Because if you truly are bringing back from that squad last year.

I'm all for being a homer and believing in your team but we are not on the same level as these guys at this point. For us to win the game, everything would have to break right for us...turnovers, penalties....My hope for this game is that we can at least look competitive against them and not get blown out of the stadium. If we do that in my book there is no shame in losing to a top 3 team at this point.believe we are just as good as TCU then that is what we are because they absolutely are given what they

When the National media predicts TCU to win this game they are not disrespecting us, on the contrary most of the comments show a lot of respect for us but they also point to the reality that while we are trending in the right direction we are not on the same level as TCU right now, we just aren't.

So what's the purpose of your post? That we have no right to dream? That we have no right to think that we have a chance? I think that everyone here recognizes that TCU is an elite team, and that winning this game will not be easy. Even if we don't have a chance, which I don't believe is true, I don't want a supposed Gopher fan telling us that the best we can hope for is to be competitive.

The schedule is going to have us at 0-1 this year...just don't get embarrassed and we'll be poised for a great year. This game never should have been scheduled.

Fans bitch and moan when we cancelled the North Carolina game. Fans complain when we play a cream puff non-conference schedule, but when the team actually schedules a big time opponent, like WI did against LSU or Bama this year, you still complain? This program will never get ahead unless we play the big boys and demonstrate that we can hang with them. This is a fantastic test for this program.

Honest question for all of you that think we are going to win this game or lose a really close one....do you honestly see us as a National Title Contender? Because if you truly believe we are just as good as TCU then that is what we are because they absolutely are given what they are bringing back from that squad last year.

I'm all for being a homer and believing in your team but we are not on the same level as these guys at this point. For us to win the game, everything would have to break right for us...turnovers, penalties....My hope for this game is that we can at least look competitive against them and not get blown out of the stadium. If we do that in my book there is no shame in losing to a top 3 team at this point.
I think many Gopher fans that think we have a chance to win aren't just homers, but encouraged by last year's game at TCU. Mitch wasn't 100%, we turned it over 5 times, and were a bit overwhelmed. We may get run over this year, but there are plenty of reasons to think we have a reasonable chance to win. I'm not uncomfortable with the label "national contender," and think a lot more people are going to consider that prospect come Friday.

anyone come up with our record the past few years being double digit dogs?

I used information from covers.com. Below are the results (Straight Up) when Minnesota is a double digit underdog:

2014: 1-3 (Beat Michigan & Lost to Wisconsin, Ohio State and TCU) (We were 8.5 dogs to Nebraska)

2013: 2-3 (Beat Nebraska & Northwestern Lost to MSU, Wisconsin and Michigan) (We were 7.5 dogs to freaking Indiana!)

2012: 0-3 (Lost to Wisconsin, Nebraska & Texas Tech)

I think we won 2 or 3 in a row in 2013 as dbl digit dogs.

well, a couple of posters here in gopherhole predicted that win streak. but, then, thats how i made my first....which was the longest in coming.

Fans bitch and moan when we cancelled the North Carolina game. Fans complain when we play a cream puff non-conference schedule, but when the team actually schedules a big time opponent, like WI did against LSU or Bama this year, you still complain? This program will never get ahead unless we play the big boys and demonstrate that we can hang with them. This is a fantastic test for this program.

Some people also don't understand that games are scheduled yeas in advance. No one of predicting how good or bad a team will be in a few years.

I used information from covers.com. Below are the results (Straight Up) when Minnesota is a double digit underdog:

2014: 1-3 (Beat Michigan and Nebraska & Lost to Wisconsin, Ohio State and TCU) (We were 11.5 dogs to Nebraska)

2013: 2-3 (Beat Nebraska & Northwestern Lost to MSU, Wisconsin and Michigan) (We were 7.5 dogs to freaking Indiana!)

2012: 0-3 (Lost to Wisconsin, Nebraska & Texas Tech)

Fixed the bolded part for you.

Discarding the 2012 campaign, the Gophers are 8-2 ATS as double-digit dogs with four outright wins. Sounds good.

GopherHole Q&A: All Things TCU and Minnesota Match-Up with KillerFrogs.com's Wes Phelan

GH: Who wins this game and why?

KF: Would you be surprised if I said TCU will win? Here’s why. We have a fantastic offense, with experience at every position and players who now fully understand what their roles are and what to do. The depth that we have at RB, WR and OL is incredible and there are a lot of interchangeable parts at those positions.

The DL lost one player but returns 3 and they are very, very good, just ask Ole Miss. Yes we have some new LB’s and that could hurt but they are fast and two of them enrolled last January so they have had one spring and now fall drills to acclimate. We are strong at one CB position and have to break in a new guy at the other. However, Coach P takes special pride in and pays extra attention to his defensive backfield so I know they will be well coached and ready.

All in all, its going to be a great game and I expect Minnesota to play hard but this team is on a mission and I don’t think they are going to stop.

GH: What is your score prediction?

KF: TCU wins 42-17.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/549785?referrer_id=388419

Fixed the bolded part for you.

Discarding the 2012 campaign, the Gophers are 8-2 ATS as double-digit dogs with four outright wins. Sounds good.

GopherRock-

I am just reporting what I read at Covers.com. The record ATS is nice, but I think the original question centered on our record S/U as double digit underdogs. I for one have no interest in covering the TCU number. I want to win the game S/U.

http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pa.../ncf/teams/pastresults/2014-2015/team140.html

Top Bottom