Sid: Kill sees potential draft picks

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Kill sees potential draft picks

The Gophers football team sent five players to the NFL last season, including draft picks Damien Wilson, David Cobb, Cedric Thompson and Maxx Williams. Then Cameron Botticelli was signed as a free-agent by the Chargers. It was the most players they had sent to the NFL in one season since 2006.

Now coach Jerry Kill says that this year’s squad could easily send five players to the draft, just on defense.

“On the defensive side of the ball, I really do [think we can send that many players],” he said. “I think that in our secondary, you know I think it has been pretty well noted how good those kids are. De’Vondre Campbell, if he has a good year and then if T.C. [Theiren Cockran] has a good year because of his length and speed. They have to have good years, but they have great potential to do it and I think they’ll have great years. I don’t think there’s any doubt about that with their attitude right now in the offseason and in the summertime.”

http://www.startribune.com/healthy-mauer-shows-signs-of-hitting-breakout/311652901/

Go Gophers!!

All four starters in the secondary could potentially end up in the NFL, possibly even all get drafted (Murray, Boddy-Calhoun, Travis, Johnson). Murray has a real chance at the first round. That would be an unbelievable accomplishment for a coaching staff at any helmet school out there.

It's time to start wondering:

1) How long before Sawvel gets poached?

2) How long before elite secondary recruits start taking the U seriously (Nigel Warrior, for example)?

All four starters in the secondary could potentially end up in the NFL, possibly even all get drafted (Murray, Boddy-Calhoun, Travis, Johnson). Murray has a real chance at the first round. That would be an unbelievable accomplishment for a coaching staff at any helmet school out there.

2) How long before elite secondary recruits start taking the U seriously (Nigel Warrior, for example)?

Well Nigel Warrior seems like he may be giving us a legitimate shot as it is. Paying his own way to come visit is a good sign. How much of that is his father pushing it.....and how much of it is legitimate interest? No idea. But if our secondary shines this upcoming year.....it certainly won't hurt our chances.

Sawvel has always struck me as someone that would have designs on being a coordinator or head coach someday. My gut tells me he gets a high profile DC position after this season. I think the one thing that could keep him in Minn would be him believing the Claeys will take a head job somewhere in the next year or two because there is zero doubt in my mind that if Claeys did leave Sawvel would get the DC job here.

Now is when we will start to see some of that loyalty tested as these guys have been out at a top level now for a little bit and are no longer unknown commodities working at smaller schools. I don't know that anyone is going to be trying to steal any of our offensive coaches but on the defensive side I could definitely see some nice offers starting to come in for some of them. Offers I would be willing to bet they have not gotten to this point in their careers.

How many OL could here his named called on draft weekend I wonder?

Campion would seem like the only one and I think he will be a longshot to get drafted. He might catch on somewhere as a FA though. If there is anyone outside of the 3-5 potential picks on defense it is probably Mortell.

Campion would seem like the only one and I think he will be a longshot to get drafted. He might catch on somewhere as a FA though. If there is anyone outside of the 3-5 potential picks on defense it is probably Mortell.

I was thinking Campion and Bjorkland. Plus if Pirsig really has an outstanding season perhaps he could be swayed to declare early. At least one of these guys deserves to be drafted in my opinion.

Well Nigel Warrior seems like he may be giving us a legitimate shot as it is. Paying his own way to come visit is a good sign. How much of that is his father pushing it.....and how much of it is legitimate interest? No idea. But if our secondary shines this upcoming year.....it certainly won't hurt our chances.

Nigel Warrior no longer has interest in us (I don't think he ever did even on his visit)

Sawvel has always struck me as someone that would have designs on being a coordinator or head coach someday. My gut tells me he gets a high profile DC position after this season. I think the one thing that could keep him in Minn would be him believing the Claeys will take a head job somewhere in the next year or two because there is zero doubt in my mind that if Claeys did leave Sawvel would get the DC job here.

Now is when we will start to see some of that loyalty tested as these guys have been out at a top level now for a little bit and are no longer unknown commodities working at smaller schools. I don't know that anyone is going to be trying to steal any of our offensive coaches but on the defensive side I could definitely see some nice offers starting to come in for some of them. Offers I would be willing to bet they have not gotten to this point in their careers.

Don't remember where I saw it but Limegeover has turned down numerous job offers during his time with Kill, some of which might have been HC positions..

Did anybody notice Sid mistakenly said 5 gophers from last year made it to the NFL while forgettimg about Wells and Fruechte?

Top Bottom