MN HS football news

In these bigger suburban districts, with kids moving and open-enrolling, I can understand how a coach might not know where every kid on the team lives. the ultimate responsibility lies with the AD and the school administration- Principal, Sup't, to make sure everything is kosher. Still, things fall through the cracks.

This seems kind of lame, IMO. There are what, 60 or 70 kids on these HS teams, and you're going to retroactively take away everything because of one kid (who may or may not have even played a material role)? I would think there would be more appropriate punishments.

Now if this was done intentionally and with the coach's or administrator's knowledge in order to help the football program, that's certainly more egregious but I still don't know about that penalty.

This may be be impacting a Gopher recruit. When you attend a school, transfer and don't change residents, it is pretty obvious. This is a relatively new school who wanted to take shortcuts. Hopefully it doesn't impact the Gophs future.

This may be be impacting a Gopher recruit. When you attend a school, transfer and don't change residents, it is pretty obvious. This is a relatively new school who wanted to take shortcuts. Hopefully it doesn't impact the Gophs future.

You don't know any of this. Not one bit. Knowing the MSHSL, this was totally benign and they decided to throw the hammer. They are NCAA +1000, mixed with leftist Minnesotan faux high-ground moral high handedness. A HS coach should never, NEVER have to field eligibility issues. AD and Admin only. 99.9% chance this was the parents.

You don't know any of this. Not one bit. Knowing the MSHSL, this was totally benign and they decided to throw the hammer. They are NCAA +1000, mixed with leftist Minnesotan faux high-ground moral high handedness. A HS coach should never, NEVER have to field eligibility issues. AD and Admin only. 99.9% chance this was the parents.

+1

The MSHSL is the worst thing that ever happened to Minnesota Sports. And the arrogance of Dave Stead is legendary. They have taken athletics from accomplishment to participation. And regulated the minutia. Was it a wrong address outside the district? Did the player move closer but still was outside the district? Did the player fail to file the required form for the change of address? How many miles difference was it?

This is nothing more than the MSHSL overreacting, overreaching and punishing the entire team.

I had a granddaughter who took advantage of open enrollment and lived 40 miles from the school. During the Basketball season her parents moved. Do I need to self report?

You're correct on the AD being responsible for eligibility. Follow the coach and the history though of where its athletes are coming from. Unfortunately it was only a matter of time in this situation. Say what want about the MSHSL, the rules are clear about playing with ineligible athletes.
You would also be correct in saying there are plenty who get a away with it. It is each member schools responsibility to determine eligibility not the MSHSL.

How will it impact the recruit and is he still at East Ridge? The MSHL is a politically correct run amok, ,completely arbitrary, power hungry joke that cares more about public perception that they are some morally superior entity. East Ridges AD should have done his job and not let this happen however.

The MSHSL is the worst thing that ever happened to Minnesota Sports. And the arrogance of Dave Stead is legendary. They have taken athletics from accomplishment to participation. And regulated the minutia. Was it a wrong address outside the district? Did the player move closer but still was outside the district? Did the player fail to file the required form for the change of address? How many miles difference was it?

This is nothing more than the MSHSL overreacting, overreaching and punishing the entire team.

I had a granddaughter who took advantage of open enrollment and lived 40 miles from the school. During the Basketball season her parents moved. Do I need to self report?

The day our State Legislator's decided to dictate transfer rules it changed the landscape. You can blame Dave Stead, but remember there is a board of directors he reports to. Parents sending their kids to schools for athletic reasons was a game changer for the MSHSL. Look at the total number of transfers in the state aside from moving. It is staggering.

Enjoy your 4th all.

True story - happened in SW MN - names changed to protect the innocent.
Player moved from District A to District B after his FR year in HS. But, for some reason - possibly grades, not sure - when the kid started at District B, he enrolled as a FR. Yes - he repeated his FR year twice. So, by the time the kid became a SR at his 2nd school, he was a year older than SR's at other schools. Someone who remembered the kid from his 1st school put 2 & 2 together, and blew the whistle, so the kid was kicked off the team, and they had to forfeit 4 wins that season. In this case, the kid was a starter and a fairly key contributor at his new school - but again, he was a year older and presumably more mature.

There was another case a couple of years ago in SW MN where a school found out near the end of the season that they had been using an ineligible player, and had to forfeit all their victories for the season. This stuff comes up more often than you might think, because of all the open-enrolling and transferring going on. In most cases, I do not believe that it involves intentional cheating - more often administrative sloppiness or paperwork snafus.

How will it impact the recruit and is he still at East Ridge? The MSHL is a politically correct run amok, ,completely arbitrary, power hungry joke that cares more about public perception that they are some morally superior entity. East Ridges AD should have done his job and not let this happen however.

If the athlete is a senior and played as an ineligible athlete, the may be ineligible for their final year at the varsity level. Poor adult decisions or oversight implicating a young man's future should never happen. Watching this play out will be interesting. Especially if Seth Green transfers back

True story - happened in SW MN - names changed to protect the innocent.
Player moved from District A to District B after his FR year in HS. But, for some reason - possibly grades, not sure - when the kid started at District B, he enrolled as a FR. Yes - he repeated his FR year twice. So, by the time the kid became a SR at his 2nd school, he was a year older than SR's at other schools. Someone who remembered the kid from his 1st school put 2 & 2 together, and blew the whistle, so the kid was kicked off the team, and they had to forfeit 4 wins that season. In this case, the kid was a starter and a fairly key contributor at his new school - but again, he was a year older and presumably more mature.

There was another case a couple of years ago in SW MN where a school found out near the end of the season that they had been using an ineligible player, and had to forfeit all their victories for the season. This stuff comes up more often than you might think, because of all the open-enrolling and transferring going on. In most cases, I do not believe that it involves intentional cheating - more often administrative sloppiness or paperwork snafus.

Really, so you think it was just administration sloppiness that the kid repeated their freshman year! So many parents hold back starting kids in kindergarten just so they will be better in sports.

There are rules on student eligibility so that teams can compete more fairly and not be controlled by a few parents. You may not agree to the rules, but all schools have to abide, even the lazy or sloppy ones. Remember, winning is not the only reason for high school sports to exist. It is supposed to be an extension of the students education and a good portion of it is learning how to deal with situations that may not go your way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real intelligent comment. Are all rules created by those evil leftist?

The day our State Legislator's decided to dictate transfer rules it changed the landscape. You can blame Dave Stead, but remember there is a board of directors he reports to. Parents sending their kids to schools for athletic reasons was a game changer for the MSHSL. Look at the total number of transfers in the state aside from moving. It is staggering.

Enjoy your 4th all.

It is the evil side of open enrollment that was designed to improve schools through competition on education. Parents have turned it into a sort of free agency for high school sports. It is the typical case of a few kids ruining the whole system and forcing the league to create rules that can hurt everyone.

The Minnesota transfer rules are intended to regulate the "haves" from gerrymandering their way to championships. In reality the policy disproportionately affects poorer and minority students.

Wealthy, connected, and lawyered up students can get around these regulations. Poorer and unconnected families can not.

The intent of the rules is good. The rules are bad.

The Minnesota transfer rules are intended to regulate the "haves" from gerrymandering their way to championships. In reality the policy disproportionately affects poorer and minority students.

Wealthy, connected, and lawyered up students can get around these regulations. Poorer and unconnected families can not.

The intent of the rules is good. The rules are bad.

I agree on the championship piece. The transfer rule benefits those with the means to physically move. It can benefit those who are challenged socio-economically and rent for housing. If you physically move and create a new primary residence, you're held harmless in terms of eligibility. The negative consequences from changing schools outweigh benefits in my opinion.

I also believe this adversely effects Minnesota football in general to create "all-star" teams. Students not having success at a school or schools will impact participation in a state that is already challenged from a talent standpoint.

One of the ineligible players was Garcia. He is transferring to Simley and sitting out.

This was my fear in this situation. It is such a blatant rule infraction. I trust him in saying he wasn't alone. Shame on the coach. I don't believe for a minute he wasn't in the know on those whose residences were inaccurate.

I may quite possibly be wrong, but doesn't MN have open enrollment? Which would mean anyone could go anywhere provided they got themselves there.

I may quite possibly be wrong, but doesn't MN have open enrollment? Which would mean anyone could go anywhere provided they got themselves there.

Yes, but your eligibility begins in 9th grade according to MSHSL. Open enrollment applies not to your educational rights and not privileges of participation.

It varies on the district.

Here is some specific info from the MSHSL: (Edited for length)
Quick summary: If your parents officially change residency, you're eligible immediately. If you open-enroll as a 9th grader or younger, you're eligible immediately. If you open-enroll after your 9th grade year, you retain your eligibility at your former district for one year, but you are not eligible in the new district for one year.

A. In determining the eligibility status of a transfer you need to ask the following questions:
1. Where is the student transferring from?
Domestic Transfers:
A. 9th Grade Option: the student is enrolling in 9th grade for the first time;
B. Family Residence Change: the student transfers from one public school district to another public school district at any time during the calendar year in which there is a change of residence and occupancy in Minnesota by the student’s parents. If the student’s parents move from one public school district to another public school district, the student will be eligible in the new public school or a non-public school if the student transfers at the same time the student’s parents move.

If the parents move from one public school district to another, the student shall continue to be fully eligible if the student continues enrollment in the prior school for the balance of the current school year. If the student elects either of the current enrollment options above, the student will be fully eligible upon transfer to the new school.

A student who elects not to transfer upon a parent’s change in residence shall continue to be eligible at the school in which the student is currently enrolled.

D. Custody of Student: A student of divorced parents who have joint custody may move from one custodial parent to the other custodial parent and be fully eligible at the time of the move. The student may utilize this provision only one time during grades 9-12 inclusive.

F. Enrollment Options Program: A student who utilizes Minnesota Enrollment Options Program, and transfers without a corresponding change of residence by the student’s parents shall elect one of the following:
1) retain full eligibility for varsity competition for one (1) calendar year at the school where the student was enrolled prior to the transfer after which time the student shall become fully eligible at the school to which the student has open enrolled; or
2) be eligible only at the non-varsity level in the school to which the student has open enrolled for one (1) calendar year.

Garcia seems to be developing quite the checkered path to the Gophers. Started at Cretin then moved on to East Ridge. Due to his ineligibility and others as well, the East Ridge program is in full-on meltdown. Now he's off to Simley where he will be out of football all together for his senior year. What are the Gophers really getting here???

Garcia seems to be developing quite the checkered path to the Gophers. Started at Cretin then moved on to East Ridge. Due to his ineligibility and others as well, the East Ridge program is in full-on meltdown. Now he's off to Simley where he will be out of football all together for his senior year. What are the Gophers really getting here???
A great player..sometimes things take time. He'll be great!

Top Bottom