A new Twist on attendance and season tickets

Rog

Reaction score
The ratio of: Season ticket sales to Alum who graduated during the "Dome years" to total Ticket sales.

We may be surprised at how low this ratio is. We didn't develope enough alum football fans during those years. However I think the tide is changing
now that we are back on campus. Maybe the initial allocation for students of 10,000 was to optimistic but hopefully gradually it will be the correct number.
If so, this will follow through to more ticket sales.

It was mentioned in a previous post, but the free tickets to the freshmen and transfers for that TCU game is a ripe opportunity to gain some major support for the program. If we show those kids a great time, they will be fans for at least the 4 years they are here, but more likely for life. I went to school during the dome years and I can count on both hands, the number of friends I had then who have season tickets now. Some use the excuse that they have young kids and they can't commit to the games, but I say heck with that, bring them and start teaching them about the gophers.

Last year the U did NOT do a good a good job getting students interested. At least for transfer students. Our "New Student Tailgate" consisted of 20-30 people in a smelly parking lot drinking soda far from campus and awkwardly mingling. We then didn't know that we had to get in the stadium early to get lower level seats. So we were stuck on the upper level awkwardly talking to people that we just met. I'm sure it was probably a little better for freshmen but it definitely wasn't crazy fun.

One solution would be to try to get the administration to let the fraternities hold an event during the day before the TCU game. (Fraternities can't hold events during welcome week). Let the fraternities hold a (dryish) tailgate before the first game. Everybody will have a place to go to have a good time before the game. Give the fraternities some money to buy some extra stuff before the game, whether it be catered food, a bouncy castle, a dunk tank, whatever and it would be more fun than a university sponsored tailgate in a parking lot pretty far from campus.

Once again we get back to the issue of "game-day atmosphere." It just seems like the powers that be at the U are so afraid of students drinking and running amok that they are reluctant to do anything to improve the game-day atmosphere and allow a "real" college FB experience.

There has to be a compromise somewhere between debauchery and boredom.

Last year the U did NOT do a good a good job getting students interested. At least for transfer students. Our "New Student Tailgate" consisted of 20-30 people in a smelly parking lot drinking soda far from campus and awkwardly mingling. We then didn't know that we had to get in the stadium early to get lower level seats. So we were stuck on the upper level awkwardly talking to people that we just met. I'm sure it was probably a little better for freshmen but it definitely wasn't crazy fun.

One solution would be to try to get the administration to let the fraternities hold an event during the day before the TCU game. (Fraternities can't hold events during welcome week). Let the fraternities hold a (dryish) tailgate before the first game. Everybody will have a place to go to have a good time before the game. Give the fraternities some money to buy some extra stuff before the game, whether it be catered food, a bouncy castle, a dunk tank, whatever and it would be more fun than a university sponsored tailgate in a parking lot pretty far from campus.

What are the rules again for fraternities game day. Can't have alcohol on front yards.....just porch?

Heavily enforced?

Lighten up U admin!

It was mentioned in a previous post, but the free tickets to the freshmen and transfers for that TCU game is a ripe opportunity to gain some major support for the program. If we show those kids a great time, they will be fans for at least the 4 years they are here, but more likely for life. I went to school during the dome years and I can count on both hands, the number of friends I had then who have season tickets now. Some use the excuse that they have young kids and they can't commit to the games, but I say heck with that, bring them and start teaching them about the gophers.

Dang, those student's are lucky they are getting free tickets to TCU. That will be a huge game. When I started as a freshman in 2010, the University was giving away tickets for almost all the non-conference games (which were much smaller, weaker teams). And what's better, you don't even have to be a freshman to use those free tickets. Any student could use them. That's how it was in 2010, 11 at least.

What are the rules again for fraternities game day. Can't have alcohol on front yards.....just porch?

Heavily enforced?

Lighten up U admin!

If it looks like an "event" it must be registered with IFC which means a list of people invited must be created and only people on the list can be around. No visible alcohol is allowed(Red solo cups are used). Fraternity or fraternity members can't provide alcohol to anybody. No events can be had during welcome week, and during the second week no alcohol can be had and only potential new members and fraternity members can be around. There are probably more that I can't remember, but those are the basics. Tailgates have to be invite only, and drinking isn't super easy, which drives people to Dinkytown farther from TCF. And these rules are enforced pretty seriously, because one can of beer in the front lawn can cause social probation for the semester.

Heavily enforced?

Lighten up U admin!

If it looks like an "event" it must be registered with IFC which means a list of people invited must be created and only people on the list can be around. No visible alcohol is allowed(Red solo cups are used). Fraternity or fraternity members can't provide alcohol to anybody. No events can be had during welcome week, and during the second week no alcohol can be had and only potential new members and fraternity members can be around. There are probably more that I can't remember, but those are the basics. Tailgates have to be invite only, and drinking isn't super easy, which drives people to Dinkytown farther from TCF. And these rules are enforced pretty seriously, because one can of beer in the front lawn can cause social probation for the semester.

Thanks

Pretty much sums up game day atmosphere.......or lack thereof.

Top Bottom